Eat as natural as possible!!!

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Calories in Calories out.

It is the BEST key to good health though :drinker:

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

Nope. Plenty of people on here and prove it true. Laws of thermodynamics

True. You can eat total crap, but if you're eating less calories than you're burning, you'll loose weight. You might wind up with a heart condition or something, but you'll be skinny. The best thing for your HEALTH though, is to eat clean and unprocessed foods full of nutrients, not chemicals and preservatives.

Health and weight loss is NOT the same thing. That is what I am pointing out.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

Nope. Plenty of people on here and prove it true. Laws of thermodynamics

True. You can eat total crap, but if you're eating less calories than you're burning, you'll loose weight. You might wind up with a heart condition or something, but you'll be skinny. The best thing for your HEALTH though, is to eat clean and unprocessed foods full of nutrients, not chemicals and preservatives.

Define 'total crap'. I mean I do eat crap but not my whole diet. So how much constitutes 'total crap'?
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the original poster.
    We have to remember that the food we eat is what is nourishing the inside of our body too. You can look good and still have clogged arteries, gall bladder problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. We want to fuel our body with clean and fresh foods. Of course, it's very hard and I don't do all the time, but I sure try. I've switched a lot of things with the food I eat and I feel better along with so many benefits that aren't just about how I look. :wink:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I tried to eat as cleanly as possible, but it was a bit too boring for me. So I'm about 60/40 "clean"/processed

Spice it up with different seasonings and ways of cooking.

eh, tried that, but sometimes I want ice cream, fries, chips, pasta and crackers....I'm fine with the proportion of "processed" foods in my diet. It hasn't negatively impacted my weight loss or blood work.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the original poster.
    We have to remember that the food we eat is what is nourishing the inside of our body too. You can look good and still have clogged arteries, gall bladder problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. We want to fuel our body with clean and fresh foods. Of course, it's very hard and I don't do all the time, but I sure try. I've switched a lot of things with the food I eat and I feel better along with so many benefits that aren't just about how I look. :wink:

:heart:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

What proportion of crap can I still eat? B/c a lot of people think my diary is pretty crappy and I'm doin' alright.... Maybe I need to figure out what percentage of my food is crap so people will have a guideline to go by...... LOL

Now I will agree that people with cleaner diets probably have better health indicators and less risk factors for various diseases, but weightloss is all about the calories.

Eat any thing you want just stay in a calorie deficit and you will still lose weight... Macro ratios are really irrelevant when it comes to losing weight.

Except protein does have a small metabolic advantage. And it is also known to reduce hunger. So eating a bad ratio of macronutrients could lead to chronic hunger and/or fatigue, making it difficult to keep the caloric deficit going.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yeah mostly the only things i get out the middle of the store are oatmeal, crackers, nuts, and granola- bars and regular. Also get protein bars and shakes out of the middle of the store too. Besides that, i try my best to stay out of there. I still eat processed foods, i just notice, i have less bloating and my body feels WAY better the "cleaner" i eat.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah mostly the only things i get out the middle of the store are oatmeal, crackers, nuts, and granola- bars and regular. Also get protein bars and shakes out of the middle of the store too. Besides that, i try my best to stay out of there. I still eat processed foods, i just notice, i have less bloating and my body feels WAY better the "cleaner" i eat.

Yep, ditto!

And thank goodness the booze is on the outside of my store :wink: :drinker:

But seriously, thank you for the post!
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    ahhh nice!
    I am trying the same for a week now and lost 1 pound without working out.

I did not count calories or write anything down. I am just reaching out to less processed food when I am hungry :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

So mcdonalds is ok?

If you would like then sure. Can still result in weight loss
    Optimum health eh different story
    BINGO!
    I do not want mere weight loss for the sake of the scale.
    I desire peak fitness and near perfect health.

It matters what I eat, but in addition to the good foods I eat, I enjoy my treats.
    Life is to be lived.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It's both! It is partially calories in vs out. But it also make a huge difference on what you are eating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

What proportion of crap can I still eat? B/c a lot of people think my diary is pretty crappy and I'm doin' alright.... Maybe I need to figure out what percentage of my food is crap so people will have a guideline to go by...... LOL

Now I will agree that people with cleaner diets probably have better health indicators and less risk factors for various diseases, but weightloss is all about the calories.

Eat any thing you want just stay in a calorie deficit and you will still lose weight... Macro ratios are really irrelevant when it comes to losing weight.

Except protein does have a small metabolic advantage. And it is also known to reduce hunger. So eating a bad ratio of macronutrients could lead to chronic hunger and/or fatigue, making it difficult to keep the caloric deficit going.

She is not talking about hunger. Just wight loss, total calories in vs total out. If protein helps you stay at your intake without going over yes it will help, but if you hit your goal it does not matter the form when it comes to weight loss. But yes protein does burn more cals during digestion, but not by that much.

For health eating clean is healthier, but no better for weight loss. And macros only count if you are concerned on what type of weight you lose. If you don't eat enough protein a higher % of your loss will be from lean muscle vs. fat, but you should still lose the same amount of total weight.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options

I agree.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

she is not talking about hunger. Just wight loss, total calories in vs total out. If protein helps you stay at your intake without going over yes it will help, but if you hit your goal it does not matter the form when it comes to weight loss.

For health eating clean is healthier, but no better for weight loss. And macros only count if you are concerned on what type of weight you lose. If you don't eat enough protein a higher % of your loss will be from lean muscle vs. fat, but you should still lose the same amount of total weight.

Yeah but the most important aspect of weight loss is adherence to the plan. And even if you hit goal, you have to stay on a maintenance plan or you regain everything back.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yes. I agree. Eating the most natural whole foods is the healthiest way.

A family member of mine told me sometime last year that she wanted to lose weight and she went out and bought all kinds of "diet friendly" food and that's all she ate all day. I'm talking 10 or so bags of 100 calorie snacks, etc. :indifferent: I didn't want to discourage her, but I did mention that she should be eating foods that aren't processed. She said she liked eating the processed stuff because she said it was easy and convienient. Needless to say, it didn't work too well because she was hungry all the time, soshe didn't stick with it too long.... :ohwell:
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Also affects blood sugar levels.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

she is not talking about hunger. Just wight loss, total calories in vs total out. If protein helps you stay at your intake without going over yes it will help, but if you hit your goal it does not matter the form when it comes to weight loss.

Yeah but the most important aspect of weight loss is adherence to the plan. And even if you hit goal, you have to stay on a maintenance plan or you regain everything back.

Even with my crap I am at over 100g protein per day, so with the combination of the crap I love and all that filling protein, I'm sticking to my plan just fine. ;-)
    Options

So mcdonalds is ok?

If you would like then sure. Can still result in weight loss
    Optimum health eh different story
    BINGO!
    I do not want mere weight loss for the sake of the scale.
    I desire peak fitness and near perfect health.

It matters what I eat, but in addition to the good foods I eat, I enjoy my treats.
    Life is to be lived.

Sounds exactly like me ^^^

Which is why I include a variety of healthy foods.
    But having treats/processed food included in that does not mean bad health at all
    Options

Even with my crap I am at over 100g protein per day, so with the combination of the crap I love and all that filling protein, I'm sticking to my plan just fine. ;-)

Exactly. Many people if they take out all processed foods they would quit after a week. Me included. Can't and dont want to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

It is the BEST key to good health though

I have an N=1 experiment that proves this wrong...consistently lose 2lbs a week with a 500 calorie deficit. Simply gut flora alone has more effect on weight loss than the calories you eat. If you body is healthy you will drop weight as a side effect not the other way around.