What motivated you to begin your weighloss journey?

Options

Replies

• StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Custody of my 1 year old grandson, and realized I am not in shape enough to raise a baby correctly. Time to get in shape and get the baseball coach inside me ready again.

I also promised myself i would not be fat and 40, but failed that, 42 next month. 43 is my magic number!!!!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Being told if you don't lose weight i'll leave you
    Being told I had weedy arms
    Being called 'Big fat greasy smelly Clark' at school and watching my then gf laugh
    This website and the shoebox full of memories I pull out to motivate myself when I feel like quitting including the above
  • llunchyka
    Options
    It was a combination of factors really. I think the greatest was that I didn't feel comfortable in my body and saw that I was trying everything to hide as much of it as I could. I've tried to lose weight numerous times before, but this time I really decided that I have to do this for myself! In addition to that I really wanted to live healthily, eat well and start exercising. I must say that I really started to like the new lifestyle. And though there were rough days I haven't given up. All the previous times I just quit when I didn't see the results. This time I haven't! It's been about 30 days now. And I am very proud on myself =)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    One night, after hearing my dad had been diagnosed with diabetes, I tossed and turned all night, knowing I wanted to lose it, not knowing how in the world I could, but knowing I was going to. I just didn't want to go through the same footsteps that landed my dad where he was. I wanted something different. For the first time I wasn't going to allow myself to fail. I had lost many times before but never kept it off. This time I wasn't going to "know better" and starve myself only to binge later and lose the same damn 10 lbs. over and over. I wasn't going to go months in pain and lose tons of weight only to swing back to my old ways and gain it all back and then some. I decided to trust a plan no matter what the scale said day to day and just go with it... trust it would work over time.

This past August I reached my goal, having lost over a 100 pounds. Now I'm simply working on my brain so that I never allow thoughts to come back that would drag me back to my old way of thinking.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Seing old pictures of myself , and new ones..... wanting to be healthy while im young.

This, coupled with knowing that blood pressure issues and diabetes run in my family from both sides, and not wanting to have to live with either.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    One night, after hearing my dad had been diagnosed with diabetes, I tossed and turned all night, knowing I wanted to lose it, not knowing how in the world I could, but knowing I was going to. I just didn't want to go through the same footsteps that landed my dad where he was. I wanted something different. For the first time I wasn't going to allow myself to fail. I had lost many times before but never kept it off. This time I wasn't going to "know better" and starve myself only to binge later and lose the same damn 10 lbs. over and over. I wasn't going to go months in pain and lose tons of weight only to swing back to my old ways and gain it all back and then some. I decided to trust a plan no matter what the scale said day to day and just go with it... trust it would work over time.

This past August I reached my goal, having lost over a 100 pounds. Now I'm simply working on my brain so that I never allow thoughts to come back that would drag me back to my old way of thinking.

Good luck!!! Great job, and I hope you can curb the negative thoughts and be happy :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've always avoided taking pics because I hated the way I look and was ashamed of how huge I was. At a family easter gathering my sister took pics of everyone and I was thinking 'oh no' and just wanted to run but stayed because I didn't want to look stupid trying to get out of it. Well that photo ended up on her fb page :embarassed: and I was soo big. I seriously could not tell my boobs from my belly lol.. that bad. I cried my eyes out and finally got the strength to do something about it. I'm still a work in progress, but this journey will never end for me.. it's now become my lifestyle (even though I struggle at times). Now if I can do this so can anyone else.. we just have to believe in ourselves and build up the courage and strength to get what we want :flowerforyou: Well there goes my story lol...
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    Seeing myself through someone else's (sp?). Then picture on our work Christmas card in November at 257 I had gained a teenager in the matter of 9 years. I was 155 after high school. I have been married for a year and we have been having problems getting pregnant this is for both me, my husband, and hopefully at some point child.
  • I haven't had a picture taken in over 12 years of myself (since my last child was born). So in between all this time, no memories to share with anyone including any future grandchildren I may have. I want to change that so desperately. I want to be proud of how I look and maybe buy a new camera when I reach my first goal. I am just so terribly scared of failure =( That's why I love this site. So many positive people with motivating stories to keep me going!

Always looking for more friends who too are trying to lose a large amount of weight. (100lbs+)
    Feel free to add me so we can help eachother accomplish our goals!!!
  • leah_8303
    leah_8303 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can relate . I refuse to buy bigger size i have new jeans never been wore cause i gained weight now . I hate dressing rooms
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Soooo many reasons but here are some of the main ones.

1. I am not getting any younger and I deserve to live a long and HEALTHY life so it was time I got to it.
    2. I want to be here with and for my family as long as I can.
    3. I was/am tired of feeling like crap.
    4. I need to have surgery and it's to dangerous to go under the knife at my current weight.
    5. I want to travel and be comfortable doing so, that way I can enjoy myself.
    6. I LOVE myself.
    7. I am getting married this year and I want to feel and look good walking down the aisle. :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Weighed 220 at 5'3". Joined a volunteer fire department, and had issues finding turnout gear that fit properly. And when put said gear on with SCBA and walked around, it felt like I had been working for over an hour already. Also, don't want to have a lot of the health issues that run in my family from being overweight.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    First, it was because I work in a hospital lab, on my feet all day, extremely busy, and I would come home totally exhausted. I felt if I would lose weight I would have more energy. What I now realize is that the act of exercising gives me energy.
    Secondly, buying clothes and seeing pictures of me has been a huge motivation to lose weight.
    Thirdly, all of my "skinny" clothes, combined with seeing my sis who lost 100 lbs wearing adorable outfits has been a big motivation.
    Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, I want to be healthy... I was tired of feeling lousy... feel much better now.
  • getfitnow33
    Options
    My motivation was my health. Ive always been a confident women even at 268 pounds but when pain surpassed my adoration for my figure i had to do sumthing. I developed heel spurs which is one of the most painfully annoying things ive ever experienced in my life. Constant lower back pain, knee and ancle soreness, sharp and aching pain in my legs and my dr tell me that yes your a beautiful girl but how pretty would you be in a hospital bed or worst a casket......it was hard to hear and boarderline disrepectful but it was sumthing i needed to hear :cry: :brokenheart: and now 10 pounds lighter im not going back!:love::laugh: :heart:
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I saw a pic of me sitting next to santa and i was fatter than him. Wtf. This put me in gear:smooched:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A few weeks after turning 39 I realized that I would turn 40 in less than a year.
  • its4me62
    Options
    well this year I would be turning, The Big 50 and I said that I wanted to lose 50lbs, Plus i just had my 5th Grand and wanted to do something difference this year.. Great question !
  • Prek2005
    Options
    What motivated me to begin my weightloss journey was when I went to the doctor for a check up and the scale topped 216. I knew then that it was time for me to make a healthy lifestyle change.
  • basjan
    Options
    i guess just being the healthiest person i could be... I never had a lot of weight to loose, but i am one of those people that cant eat when dealing with lots of stress, there for always fluctuating 10 pounds or so.... but i really what to be healthy and keep my weight steady by exercising everyday ad eating healthy (never skipping meals)

hopefully this will help get my metabolism higher and loose that 10 pounds and keep it there.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Opening my wardrobe, trying on every single piece of clothing and only 2 t-shirts fitted. Now, still only 2 fit but the rest are now too big, not the other way round.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!