Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was smoking for almost 10 years, and though Zyban worked I went back to smoking. I finally broke down and got lazer treatment last August, and that's what finally did it for me. I've been "clean" for almost 6 months now, though it was by no means easy. The thing that really got me to 'stick quitted' was the fact I dropped almost $300 for someone to poke a tiny lazer all over my ear and say "You're cured!". I was going to be successful, and NOT waste that money this time!
    Chantix (or Champix in Canada) gave me horrible nightmares, moodiness, and I actually full on planned how to kill my co-workers one night at work, where to hide the bodies, and then how to kill myself before the police got there. Not to mention the nausea!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that there is no right or wrong way to quit. You just have to find what will work best for your situation. It might take several choices. Like others have said, you have to want this more than anything.
    I smoked for 15 years and just hated how it made me feel. Another thing that got me on the road to being smoke-free is that I didn't want to turn out like my dad who has COPD. I also watched my aunt die from lung cancer. Those 2 things right there were enough for me, but along with that I kept asking myself......Give me one good reason to keep smoking. Never could come up with one and listed all the negative things that came along with it. That list was long.

Needless to say, I quit cold turkey.

Besides, who wants to kiss an ashtray. Your body will feel so much better once you quit.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Www.whyquit.com. Helped me tremendously. Good luck.
  • jag18013
    Options
    I smoked for 20+ years and quit in November. You have to want to stop smoking if there is any question in your mind as to why you should stop you will fail. Prepare for war, pick a date, throw on a patch and JUST STOP.... I lost almost 50 pounds and quit smoking at the same time so it can be done....
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am coming up on 3 months of no smoking. :love: Much easier now than in the beginning. You too can do this! I am using the patch and the electronic cigarette. I have been buying the disposable ciggies (like about $8 at Walgreen, etc.) but to do over again, I would go ahead and buy the rechargeable one.

My husband has been a non-smoker for 4 years, simply after reading Alan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." He swears by it, but it didn't quite do the trick for me. Which leads me to believe it's true that YOU have to be ready and committed. You CAN do this. Friend me, too for support if you'd like. And congrats on your weight loss! :bigsmile:
  • EnEsMama
    Options
    I've been cigarette free for 2 years now. It is extremely hard to quit. Use that same will power you had to lose 40 lbs into kicking the habit. Keep yourself busy and think of all the money you're saving not buying cigarettes. Every time you get a craving do some push ups or sit ups, whatever you prefer.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Prepare for war, pick a date, throw on a patch and JUST STOP....

Pretty much that. :wink:
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My husband tried everything - someone on MFP recommended Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit Smoking, I ordered the book on Amazon for about $8 - he read it - he stopped smoking on July 4th - and has not smoked since

***This*** Any also a website www.quitnet.com
    Using these two things I have been smoke free for 27 months after 50 years of smoking 2 packs a day!
  • sklivvz
    sklivvz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Nicorette Quickmist and the Nicorette free ActiveStop programme (https://www.nicorette.co.uk/your-profile/create-your-profile).

Basically it's a free programme that helps you day-by-day for two months or so. It gives you a week of psychological preparation, then it leads you throughout the quitting phases. It provides support via free SMS, an iPhone app, daily logins on the site (which give you stuff to do and to read daily). You also have a support telephone line.

I found it much easier to quit this way - it's actually very similar to this site, but with a different purpose :-)
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, hoping I can quit soon! Going to look into Chantix...and the gum! Thanks everyone xo
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    Personally for me I was scared into quitting due to medical/health reasons and I started smoking when I was 14 and just now quit at 24. Its very hard though because I’m around people that smoke and I get those cravings. The way that I have fought the temptation is by chewing gum, sucking on a lollipop or just doing thing to keep me preoccupied.

I’ve heard that people who have a desire to quit are switching to the electric cig to cut down and slowly wean off. Its just a though that might work.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I quit by setting a date and sticking to it. I promised myself that no matter how much craving I had, going to the gas station and buying that cigarette was NOT an option. Obviously its a lot easier said than done. The first week was VERY hard, since it's everything I thought about and my mood swings were horrible. I would cry in the middle of the store, etc. Fast forward three months I am SO happy I do this. I never have to think about when my next "cigarette break" is and it no longer takes control of my thoughts and actions.

What I did: worked out to replace my behavior of smoking, ignored cues to smoke (i.e. driving), closed my eyes and thought about a number for 1-3 minutes whenever cravings were really strong, counted the hours, days, and weeks I was smoke free. Seriously, cold turkey is the way to go! You can't "decrease" it gradually-- it's all or NOTHING.
  • Helenacabral1
    Options
    This was one of my goals to quit for good..smoked for 31 years and tried to stop a million times..but nothing will help u quit unless u really want it!set a date and make a plan for what u need to quit!!!Good luck......I did it cold turkey!
  • brett1117
    Options
    I have never smoked. Sorry but I do not understand why people smoke???? it says right on the carton "may lead to lung cancer" Lung cancer kills more than an other cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents COMBINED every year!!
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I had quit cold turkey for 15 years and started again about 6 years ago. Worse this time around and it just makes me feel horrible. I just ordered and received an e-cigarette starter kit. I have 4 friends who used this tool to quit smoking and it worked! One was a 3 pack a day smoker and hasn't touched one in months. Just a thought.

amazing !! keep it up xxxxxxx
  • shinypinkpolish
    Options
    I used the patch, and had lots of sugar free candies/gum around. I have tried cold turkey numerous times, but failed, and the patch really helped me get a little nicotine to keep me sane while I broke the physical habit. There is also a really good book called "The Easy Way Women Stop Smoking" I got it on Amazon and I found it helpful. When you get a strong craving you can replace it with the candy and if it's sugar free/low calorie stuff it's no harm done. Also I was chewing on straws sometimes, but that was just a weird habit that helped me personally lol

Feb 15th will be my one year quitting, and you can do it! Good Luck!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    im trying it right now..i havent smoked since yesterday morning @ 10 am..so 31 hours :wink: its killing me, but like weight loss, i keep reminding myself its healthier for me..very best of luck to you:drinker:
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would quit, ever... I am over a month off them now. I went for hypnosis, it was a special deal so I said I will just do it and if it doesn't work it's only a bit of money wasted.

I don't know if it worked, or if I've just tricked myself into thinking it worked, but I haven't touched a smoke since. Cravings come now and then, but pass very quickly

The first time I tried to quit, I made it 5 days and all I could think about every waking minute was smoking, All I ever did was try to distract myself. It is NOTHING like that this time, it's been......easy......

Worth checking out, 2 other people in my office had it too, successful on all 3 of us. And I am a very, very sceptikal person

x
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked. Sorry but I do not understand why people smoke???? it says right on the carton "may lead to lung cancer" Lung cancer kills more than an other cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents COMBINED every year!!

Come on now, that's nothing to do with the question.... you said you never smoked, well then you'll never understand how it is to be a smoker and how hard it is to quit! x
  • lproulx83
    Options

And believe me, they absolutely cause lung cancer! My father smoked for probably 23 or so years. Quit at the age of 45. Was diagnosed with Lung Cancer a year ago at 57 years old. He has under-gone Chemo and Radiation treatments in the hopes of shrinking the tumor enough for surgery. Luckily it shrunk, and he had his entire lung removed in August. He has been in the hospital recovering ever since...now over 6 months. Believe me, seeing his daily struggles, being hooked up to machines and just trying to get out of the hospital will make me never ever touch a ciggarette. You don't want to put yourself, family and friends through what we've been going through this past year! I did smoke during college, and after, but quit cold turkey and am so glad I did, especially now watching what my dad is going through! I wish everyone luck in quitting!!!