Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Low weights, high Reps if you go heavy weights low Reps. Tone maybe try Zumba

FAIL. Not the point of this thread at all.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by Rippetoe and a beginner 5 x 5 routine would fit. If you have to think of it as lifting like a boy than do it. Really gender should have no effect on how you lift. Hormones will handle how bulky you get.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    very well said.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    *sigh* maybe if really heavy weights were pink more of you wouldn't be so hesitant about starting:noway:
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy - for me :-P

Getting stronger and more lean every day
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Spent the last year dancing 2x a week with one day of a strength training/cardio session.

This year switched to lifting 2x a week with one day of dancing.

Focusing more on strength than weight loss.

Slowly upping my weights as I find myself getting stronger. Went last night and feeling it today.

Feels good :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only do cardio workouts and crunches. The thought of weight lifting scares me. I have no upper body strength whats so ever. Anybody got advice how to start? I really like reading about the results you all had, I have hit a plateau doing only cardio.

Just start. The only way to get upper body strength is by strengthen your muscles. Start out wherever you have to. If that means lifting 10 pounds, do that until it's easy and you can increase the weight.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I approve this thread! lol
    Being nervous about 'starting' cannot be enough of a reason to NOT improve your strength!

New Rules of Lifting for Women is popular (all over these boards) - check out the mfp groups "NROL4W" and "Women Strength Training".

Starting Strength (Rippetoe) and Stronglifts are also popular.

Catch the wave....

those are the two routines I was going to mention...
    Starting Strength (Rippetoe) and Stronglifts are probably some of the most popular... and they both start out light enough for ANYONE.
    not to mention, a newbie doing either one can get their workout done in about 35mins.. only 3 times a week.. and see REAL progress.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ugggh I wish I had access to a gym!! Live out in the country and the gym in my town doesn't have daycare for my son. I wish I would have known about these kinds of results before I signed up for my spin class at school. I def would have went for a lifting class, instead! Oh well. I agree with low weight, high reps being time consuming, but I've had awesome results with my PURPLE dumbbells and Jillian videos. :) BUT, I know if I'm having good results this way, they'd be even better with heavy lifting. Maybe I can use an elective on a lifting class next semester.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Love lifting heavy! :-) Just got back from the gym doing just that!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You ladies are SO hot! Keep up the wonderful work!
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    squat.jpg
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    squat.jpg

POW!

I love lifting heavy. Squats and deadlifts FTW!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Ladies... please take a look at my profile picture. I am not really looking to lose any more weight but I am looking to reduce my body fat a little more.

I like looking like a woman - and I think my curves are beautiful.

If you looked at my pic and thought that my routine includes "toning" you would be wrong. My routine includes lifting weights heavy enough that 10 reps are difficult to complete. I have been at it for a few months now. I have stopped losing weight but I am going through pants sizes faster than my paychecks arrive.

Please don't be afaid of lifting weights. It will not make you look like a man and will very like cause drastic shrinking - not bulking.

Throw away those pink dumbells and join me in picking up things made of metal and solid rubber.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: my husband has proclaimed that our family's new favorite past time is punching me in the stomach. :wink: he wasn't prepared for what he'd hit the first time and honestly hurt his hand. HAHA

My bellydance instructor/fitness trainer says the exact same thing! Keep adding on the weight, women will not bulk up without the use of steroids. EVER! We have to much estrogen for that. Literally, women have to take testosterone to look like body builders.
  • JVanDam77
    Options
    Love it! Gotta Bump it! :)
  • hsmithway
    Options
    As someone who is just about done with his NASM cert what kills me more are the trainers who perpetuate this. Makes my head spin Exorcist style when I see it in the gym.

I'm trying to find a way to tactfully address this with my trainer. Starting out with her was great, because I have hypermobile joints and I really needed a lot of help with my form, which she was fabulous about helping me with. But recently she had me increase the number of reps from15 to 20 on many exercises while either leaving the weight the same or in some cases even decreasing it, which I'm rather confused about. Maybe she has a good reason, but I need to remember to ask, because I'm not understanding the logic behind that particular change.

Now the squats I understand - since my form still isn't that great I could use more practice getting it right, but the rest, I'm not so sure about.
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok so squats and deadlifts...I have always loved lifting weights but have shied away in recent years due to being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and spinal stinosis...And frankly I have weight to lose. I am only 5'0" and am currently at 149 lbs. I have had 3 c-sections leaving my stomach extremely less than desirable. Tell me where to start and I am game. I will still keep my 2 cardio days to help in losing but am willing to change the other 2 days to lift days. I am wondering if I should be bringing a partner with to help...or what weight to start at? I am also that person who hates to look stupid and prefers to lift when no one else is around. Let me put this in perspective...my husband is military...our gym has military personnel in it at most any given time, all of whom at least appear to know what they are doing. So I am completely open to any and all suggestions. I will read up on the NROL for Women and speak to my PT person today...ha ha my first apt and I think he already thinks I am crazy. I want to be healthy, I am very active and I don't like being told that my body should no longer do certain things...help!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Ok so squats and deadlifts...I have always loved lifting weights but have shied away in recent years due to being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and spinal stinosis...And frankly I have weight to lose. I am only 5'0" and am currently at 149 lbs. I have had 3 c-sections leaving my stomach extremely less than desirable. Tell me where to start and I am game. I will still keep my 2 cardio days to help in losing but am willing to change the other 2 days to lift days. I am wondering if I should be bringing a partner with to help...or what weight to start at? I am also that person who hates to look stupid and prefers to lift when no one else is around. Let me put this in perspective...my husband is military...our gym has military personnel in it at most any given time, all of whom at least appear to know what they are doing. So I am completely open to any and all suggestions. I will read up on the NROL for Women and speak to my PT person today...ha ha my first apt and I think he already thinks I am crazy. I want to be healthy, I am very active and I don't like being told that my body should no longer do certain things...help!

I just finished reading NROL4W, the ebook download for StrongLifts... and now I'm reading about Starting Strength. I'm going with Starting Strength. It seems like the best, imo. So... those 3 are all very good programs from what I understand. All highly recommended.