Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    My hubby smoked 3 packs a day for years. ...and stopped with Chantix. He just kept smoking....and soon he thought they tasted terrible....and hasn't had one since. It has been 5 years, and when we go on vacation he has a cigar and still has no desire to smoke cigs!!
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I quit Dec 31st, been using the patch and then gum occassionally... figure its better than smoking... I had been a closet smoker for 30+ years. Guess it took me a long time to 'be ready', I had to do alot of 'self talking', and avoid the family who smokes for the first 2 weeks... I guess the big thing helping me is, I'm showing people you can quit smoking and loose weight... just watch me : )
    PS, if any of You need any support, I'm here for you, just friend me.
  • rotadon
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the 40 pounds! That's awesome! Now that you have a healthier exterior, you WANT a healthier interior! I quit (for the hundredth time) just over a month ago, but after almost 40 years of smoking, it's just time, and this will be the LAST time I have to quit. It's taken a complete change in the way I think and live. I meditate first thing in the morning, then do 10 to 30 minutes worth of exercise. My husband and I eat a plant-based diet and try to play disc golf a couple of times a week which is so much easier now that I've quit. I still get cravings, but I just tell myself NO and distract myself with something...ANYTHING...then praise myself for getting past it again. You can DO this!
  • eros8801
    eros8801 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have all sorts of advice, but I don't use it for myself.
    I wish you the best. It's probably the hardest thing you can do in your life, but I am sure, for me, the obsession with food and feelings and boredom are all tied together with the nicotine thing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband quit 10 years ago, after yet another frequent bout of pneumonia (which he doesn't get anymore!) He used lollipops to kick his habit. He chewed on the stick after the candy was gone. Now, he carries gum and when he gets an urge, he pops some gum in his mouth. (I see him doing that when he gets in stressful situations.) He also said that if you hang around with smokers, ditch them. I guess that's true with any habit. You usually do what the people around you are doing. Finding healthy friends will encourage your own healthy behaviors. Good luck! :smokin:
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT an ex-smoker but I always admire and respect the courage for those who are successful in kicking that habit. One husband & wife couple, in recent years, told me they used CHANTIX. There are some risks in using that drug (prescription only) so you need to work closely with your physician and monitor side effects and interactions with presently used medications as well as medical conditions.

It is not a wise move to have MFP friends "play Doctor". Some of us are either active or retired health professionals but you are best advised and monitored by your own physician.

You have taken that first big step...the motivation to stop that behavior. You have my best wishes, support and prayers. I believe in your ability to succeed. And, you WILL succeed when you find the best program that you design that works for you. :)
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    CHANTIX!!! Only side affect I experienced was nausea but I fixed that....I took with food :wink: :laugh: :happy:
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes down a glass of water when you feel the urge OR

put a elastic ban on your wrist and pull on it then let it go as many times as you wish

omg i am gonna use this when i crave really bad things like chocolate lol
  • bailbondbabs
    Options
    I smoked 25 years HEAVY took chantix for six weeks and am smoke free. Now it is pure will power and I am proud of that. That is why I decided to lose weight, if I can quit smoking I can learn better eating habits!
  • carts1179
    carts1179 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for a little over 1 year. I smoked myself sick, 3 cigarettes at a time, for a whole pack so that my body physically wouldnt want them and when i was done with the pack I didn't have cravings and used the exercise to divert my attention away from smoking.
  • mlightvt
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of the Cold Turkey Method. Smokers don't want to hear that because it's hard, but I think weaning yourself or using nic supplements just prolong the misery. I smoked for sixteen years and when I wanted to quit, there was nothing I wanted more. I just decided that was it and it was.
    Now, just remember, the urges and the temptations are there and they stick around for several weeks, but each day gets easier. After about a week (a week of hell) you will never want to turn around and go back because your over a huge hurdle. The hurdles get smaller and easier after that. After about a month, you still may have a few urges here and there, but nothing like the first week or so. And then before you know it, the urges are gone, you feel great, your super proud of yourself and there's no turning back.

I would disagree with that. I'd quit for brief periods of time in the past - and I knew that *this time* was going to be THE time when I can finally say I am a non-smoker... I wanted to have somewhat of an aid in dealing with the physical withdrawal symptoms. The Nicorette patches say to use them for 12 weeks I think - now THAT would have been way too long for me, I would have gotten hooked on them. LOL Two weeks of the low dose patch was perfect for me to ride out the nicotine withdrawal from my system. Sure, I could have done it cold turkey - my mind was dead set - but why, if I knew *this is it* could I not make it a little less hellish?

What I did, worked. One year plus with NO desire to pick back up.
  • kyotokarma
    kyotokarma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I smoked for many years, off and on. The last time I quite, over two years ago, I quit for good. The way I did it was first to want to quit. You need motivation. My motivation was that I was becoming certified to teach yoga. I didn't want to be the yoga teacher who smokes! I also started doing a lot of yoga & breathwork. When you do that, you begin to notice how you lack oxygen, compared to others who don't smoke. I decided to quit. I did it cold turkey.

Once you make the decision (and you're really serious about it) it should just be a matter of quitting. Sure, you'll crave it and make up all kind of excuses as to why it's okay or why you need it. But ultimately if you just tell your inner voice to shut the hell up, you'll succeed.

Going back to smoking is a matter of quitting on yourself. You didn't quit on yourself when it was time to lose those 14 pounds. You met and exceeded your goal! You can do it...it's only a question of WILL you.
    I hope you do!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    After smoking for 30 years, including many years of working in 2nd hand smoke, I gave it up cold turkey, in the middle of the day, with no plan to quit. It was the easiest thing I've ever done. If you are truly ready, you can do it. If you just get through the first couple days you'll be fine. I've quit 2 other times cold turkey... once for 2 years, once for 2 weeks (I was bored so I started again). It has now been 19 months, and I can say with complete confidence that I will never smoke again. Just be ready, and trust the process.
  • Granny07
    Granny07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am an ex-smoker, 11 1/2 years now. I got ill, was hospitalized, and found I had COPD, from smoking, they gave me some med that curbed my appetite for cig. I was there for five days. I have not had one, since the day I entered hosp. I found if I kept my hands busy, it helped. I am a crochet addict now. Find something you enjoy doing to keep you to busy to smoke. Good luck! You will feel so much better, without the habit. Carol
  • Granny07
    Granny07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh! I was a smoker for 52 years.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Not a smoker here, but married to a former smoker and a child of two smokers (one who quit, one who didn't).

My husband quit last year. It took a combination of Chantix, taking up yo-yoing (as in the Duncan variety) to keep his hands busy, and gum and cinnamon/mint toothpicks for oral fixation.

My dad quit cold turkey 5 years ago. He quit the day he found out he had stage IV throat cancer. He had major surgeries, 82 doses of radiation, and 18 doses of chemo. He was in remission for 3 years.

The cancer came back January 2011. It has spread to his bones, lungs, liver, and back into his throat again. He probably won't live another 3 years this time. I see him getting weaker by the month. He will never see his grand kids born, he probably won't see me graduate with my Masters, he won't see me receive my PhD. My children will not have a grandpa (husband's father is deceased as well). I will most likely lose my father before I turn 25.

My mom's still smoking. It's only a matter of time before she gets cancer as well. Her mom, grandmother, and grandfather all died from cancer. I'm probably going to lose both of my parents before I am 30.

Think of your family and think of the holes you will leave in their hearts if you continue to smoke. Please don't make the same mistake my parents are making. Make the change before it is too late.
  • KariePerez
    Options
    :bigsmile: CHANTIX It worked wonders for me :bigsmile:
  • cscgal
    cscgal Posts: 27
    Options
    I quit 18 days ago!! I drank TONS of water when I was craving it, which seems to help. I also found myself working out more if I wanted to reach for a smoke. I think what got me to quit was posting a picture of healthy lungs versus crapy lungs by the patio. Seeing those made me relize what I did to my body and how much better I would be with stoping smoking. Good luck
  • cscgal
    cscgal Posts: 27
    Options
    I quit cold turkey with 3 full packs in the cabinet :)