Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been nicotine free for a little over 90 days now. :D I did Chantix just for the first 2 weeks to get over the worst of the withdrawls, then when I would get the random craving, it was a lot easier to just ignore it.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that it is easy! I smoked for years and even quit for a 3 year stretch. The second time around quitting I used the patch and that helped some but it doesn't replace all of the triggers that used to precede a smoke break.

The only thing I can say is just work on what you can today, this hour, this minute to not smoke. Over time you'll think about it less and less until it doesn't really affect you. You'll find that you've changed and don't have the need like before, but it takes work.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday, I have been smoke-free for one year. I used Chantix and it made it so easy!!!
  • hlshubert
    Options
    I smoked for 20 years - I know it's a hard habit to quit. The more you try though, the easier it is - for realz! I quit for about a year, but I did cheat some during that time... then started back again for atleast 6 months. Then in June 2011 I got sick and was in the hospital for a week. The doctor said, you realize you've smoked your last cigarette, right? I was all like "what? this sucks", but I haven't smoked since. Weird. It took a doctor to tell me something I knew all along... Anyway, there's lots of new stuff on the market to that will help, I'm sure! Good luck!
  • alisma73
    alisma73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Firstly Good Luck !! - I quit by setting rules for myself, for example I won't have a cigarette until 11 am, i'll never smoke indoors, after about 3 months my rules had narrowed so much that I was having one cigarette a day, then one every two days etc, in the end it just felt right to stop. I tried to go cold turkey many times but was impossible, it was as if by saying I never could smoke again I just wanted to smoke more, so I just gave myself permission but "on condition". Took about 4 months from beginning to end and only introduced one rule at a time, also at no time did I tell anyone that I was trying to stop as it just made me feel worse, because friends were always doing the "so how many days", "have you had any" and my way nobody really realised as it was over a period of time.

Sleep so much better now, skin is better and the horrible cough has gone!!

Good for you for trying to stop xxx
  • MAMAVIV1
    Options
    I quit in the middle of a carton, in the middle of my honeymoon 9 years ago! I just bought my first house and did the math of how much I spend on cigs (2.5 packs a day at $7.25 a pack) and realized I could buy my new kitchen tile and have it installed in less then 3 months if I quit so I did! BAM! I didn't make a date to quit, I didn't wean, I just went for it! My husband STILL smokes...he is not allowed to smoke in the house and has to walk to the end of the driveway (I call it the neighborhood walk of shame! LOL!)
    If cold turkey with a purpose doesn't get ya then start volunteering in cancer wards and hospice facilities....ask to see pix of the patients when they were younger and healthy and thought they were invincible....it will be a rude awakening!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    I used the gum.... still a non smoker 10 years later
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, quitting smoking is what led me to gain 60 lbs...then got pregnant...blah. BUT, I've been smoke free for 6 years and I'd gain the weight over again in a minute to have quit. I didn't use anything but food. Now my husband took up running and used Wellbutrin and has been smoke free for 5 years. That's my suggestion :)
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    80 DAYS SMOKE FREE & I have to admit, it has to be YOUR decision and YOUR desire and trust me I attempted and failed a 101 times before I finally said I'm DONE! But my advice is quitnet.com. It's free and it is the most awesome website, next to MFP for quitters! I quit cold turkey and never looked back! Haven't even CONSIDERED it!
  • rmh612
    rmh612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, it was about attitude. I thought that I wanted to quit and halfway tried a few times. Once I finally made up my mind and was sick of it; i was successful. Now Chantix helped me out a bunch. It made it easy to quit without wanting to smoke. Now the medicine did make my stomach turn for about 20 minutes but it was a small price to pay. Also, there are some other things that helped. I stopped smoking (prior to quitting) at moments that they called triggers. For example, I would have a smoke after a movie, after a meal, on my way to work, when driving in the car (etc). It was important that I broke those habits before giving it up completly. I have now been smoke free for 2 years and counting.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I just quit this January. I am one month smoke free. I tried the patch but it caused seriously weird dreams that disturbed my sleep. So cold turkey it is. I have tic tacs to help me through the "menthol" craving. Otherwise-I get up and do something, usually run on the treadmill when I have a craving. But YOU have to be ready to quit and really WANT it to succeed. Good luck!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for almost 4 weeks now.I used Chantix. It advises to use it for 12 weeks, but I couldn't take the lack of energy it gave me. I had crazy dreams, but honestly didn't bother me because before I started chantix I had odd dreams. no depression or anything like that. Just the tiredness. Hoping I can stay away...
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can't do both, quit the smoking and then do the diet. I was able to quit, when I was quitting with another friend, especially when she is a female. Then, I didn't want to let her seeing me as being weak, so I refused to give into the cigarettes. I am sure she felt the same way, not wanting to give in to the habit and telling me she gave into the smoking. Good Luck, the pain is short lived, don't give into the cigarettes.
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    It will be 7 years smoke free in April for me and I went cold turkey. You have to be ready and commited to smoking. I learned I had to stop going to places that I wanted to smoke. I stopped going to bars with friends, I limited my time around smokers. The worst part was when I was DJ in a place that allowed smoking. Just last year I was driving home in an ice storm from a gig and I started to reach for the cubby that my old truck had where I would keep the smokes. It was an odd thing for me but I think the thoughts never go away. They are always there somewhere. It is over coming them and moving on. I find gum chewing helps.
  • phinnette
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on the weight loss!!!! GREAT JOB! I didn't use anything to quit but I did it in phases. First off I CLEANED my vehicle spotless and decided NO MORE smoking in the vehicle...I also had painted all my walls in my house and said no more smoking in the house. Little by little I took away places or things that made me smoke! The WORST time I had was not smoking when I went out for a few drinks...I smoked like a chimney! I knew they were going to the "smokeless" bars soon so I decided to get jump ahead and went out one evening and the bartender who is a good family friend put the dink straws in front of me and said eveytime I had the urge to smoke...........grab a straw...chew it, twist it, tie it in knots....whatver it takes! 7 straws later I made it thru the night.....and I am happy to say I am over 2 years smoke free.....once in awhile I have that urge at the bar.....I grab a straw!

I hope some of my ideas help! It is hard......very hard...I tried unsucessfully several times....this last time changing things around me and slowly taking things away....it worked!

ALso at the time I had just joined Weight Watchers so I was dieting and quit smoking at the same time! I am not sure I recommend that for everyone....can get a tad bit grouchy and unpleasant but I had a great supportive husband, family and friends!

Good Luck I wish you total SUCCESS.....you will feel even better when you give up the smokes!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    When I started this journey I told myself I'd lose the first 14lbs and then give up smoking. Well I've now lost 40lbs and I'm still smoking. I just can't seem to kick the habit.

Any advice on things I can do to make it a little easier?
    I quit smoking 2 packs a day for good over 5 years ago. I bought the Nicotine patch -- 1 box is less than I was spending on cigarettes. I brought the box home and kept it in the bathroom vanity. How many nights do you go to bed and say "tomorrow I'm going to quit" and then you wake up and light a cigarette and then give up that whole day. I wore the patch 24/7 for 3 weeks...and I mean I went to work in it, slept with it on, and let it fall off in the shower. The first week or so I knew exactly when the medication was not getting into my body and not. I went into my process by deciding to wear the patch everyday for as long as it takes because it's still better than smoking. One morning around 3 weeks into it, I woke up and forgot to put a new patch on and that was that. I still had mild cravings but the worst of it was behind me. Now, from day #1 - day #5 I decided to let myself smoke when I thought I really needed to. I went from 1 - 2 cigarettes a day up to 7-8 by the end of the first week and thought...I need to *kitten* or get off the pot... smoke (and take the patch off) or decide to quit and stop messing around. If I can go from 2 packs a day to 1 - 2 cigaretts with this patch then let it work. With a little effort I can beat this. I have not had a single cigarette since 8/17/2007. I still get a sensation like a craving after watching a movie that gets your blood pumping or something but I NEVER EVER want to have to quit again so I will not smoke...not even 1 time. And I do not miss it. I feel really proud of myself for kicking that nasty habit. It was something I didn't like about myself that I was afraid I was going to be too weak to change. And I did it. You can do it too.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I had tried quitting dozens of times before, but then I used the patch and it was sooo much easier. I also had two mental images: 1) my uncle in his last days before he passed from cancer. I paid him a visit and he looked like a human lollipop, and he used to be a big hulk of a man. My mother told him that I was still smoking, and he looked at me and said "What? Are you some kind of A**hole?" It was devastating because he always was so affectionate with me. Brutal. 2) my niece and nephew. They have always looked up to me and I never wanted them to see me with a cigarette in my mouth. If I ever caught them smoking, I would be absolutely heart broken, so I decided the smokes had to go.

Find a way to remind yourself of why this is important to you. You're stronger than a dried plant! You will feel so much better in the long run.
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 11 years. I have been smoke-free for 7 years now. It was the best decsion I ever made for myself. I was ready. I could no longer make an audible sound when I laughed out loud because I didn't want to feel like I was extracting my lung with a spork. It hurt to laugh and I LOVE to laugh. I also loved to smoke. One love outweighed the other. It was very difficult to overcome my addiction. I took a Smoking Cessation class at my local hospital. It was around $40. They gave me a little book with lots of helpful information in it, a fake cigarette (not electronic, but you could still "drag" on it), and went to several meetings over the course of 4 weeks. I slowly decreased my nicotine (had to change brands of cigaretts twice to get to the minimum), and WANTED to quit. As in anything if life, I believe, you have to WANT it bad enough!

Good luck!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker and in the, "thinking about quitting" stage. I did quit before for ~9months using Chantix a few years ago.

One caution with the Chantix is the suicidal tendancies and thoughts. I did not suffer this side effect but my brother and sister definately did. It was a family event, we were all on it at the same time :) My sister's best friend, also on it with us, suffered such terrible depression she had to go off of it. The son of a close friend of my Dad's killed himself last week after taking Chantix for a month. I do not believe Chantix was the only cause but it's thought to be a factor in his death.

Chantix is a great drug to help people quit but please be aware of this potential side effect. I believe it is still safe to take and may take it again but will be very aware of this possible side effect and will not hesitate to take action if I am having very bad feelings.
  • allgoodnamestaken
    Options
    The e-cig worked for me. I quit last June after they found a small spot on my lung. It ended up being scar tissue, but that scared me to death!

I recommend a "Tank" type of ecig - you don't have to refill them as often. I use the eGo-T tank.

This is how well it is working for me - My husband still smokes and it doesn't phase me. I have no urge to steal any of his cigarettes!