Want a 25-calorie (per cup!) replacement for rice?

Options

Replies

• kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower rice. I actually cook mine in a nonstick frying pan with a tiny, tiny bit of olive oil and brown it a bit to give it a nutty flavour, then add salt and pepper. Yum!!
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the taste of cauliflower, so I will be sticking with mashed potatoes and rice. I tried it once for mashed potatoes at another's house and I refused to finish eating mashed cauliflower. If I had made it, I would have doctored it up more with soy sauce and oyster sauce to make it more palatable.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites :) You can also use a cheese grater if you don't have a food processor (i didn't read all the other comments.. someone may have mentioned this) Cauliflower also makes some darn good pizzas :)
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Beccaliebchen
    Beccaliebchen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I needed! You have no idea, I just ate a full cup of brown rice last night and was shocked to find that I had consumed 300+ calories, on the rice alone. This idea is ingenious! Now, one question - if you don't have a food processor would a blender work?
  • karincarney
    karincarney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    On a similar note, cauliflower can make a great pizza crust. I made it last week, and we could not get enough, (even kids!) I made 2, one with roasted veggies and the other with pepperoni and cheese (for kids)

Here is the link for cauliflower crust pizza:
    http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower rice. I actually cook mine in a nonstick frying pan with a tiny, tiny bit of olive oil and brown it a bit to give it a nutty flavour, then add salt and pepper. Yum!!

yum, sounds great - how long do you saute it for?
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I don't like cauliflower, but I decided to try this yesterday for my lunch. It was actually really good! I did it and mixed it along with some leftover grilled green bell peppers & onions that I reheated, along with some cooked chicken breast pieces. I added a 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder to everything. Super yummy and actually quite filling!
  • adriennegurat
    Options
    bump
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    interesting idea... but i LOVE rice... will try it though and see
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am SO doing this. I have a whole head of cauliflower in my fridge! Thanks! Off to look for the shrimp recipe.
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    This sounds wonderful--we will definitely have to try it! I imagine it will go well with our stir frys!
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't have a microwave, do you think you could make it i the oven or something?
  • Green_Eye_Girl
    Green_Eye_Girl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing!!
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump-This sounds so yummy! Thanks for posting.