"Toning" aka fear of lifting heavy

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Although, for things such as bench press, if you don't have a spotter, you're best off using dumbells instead of a barbell, or if you've had enough practice with it, a weight that you "know" you can lift no problem and just stay far away from failure.

The gym I go to is pretty small and quiet, I go by myself, and I'm often alone with the free weights, so I usually use the dumbells. Generally I get to a point where my left arm just stops moving no matter how much I push, but I'm not in any danger. And as a bonus, it keeps my stronger arm from "carrying" my weaker one.

personally i find bench press form is hard to keep with dumbbells... just when you use a barbell, dont put a lock on the weights
    if you fail, and theres no spotter, you just tilt it and dump the weights, or roll/slide it down your body and off you.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Although, for things such as bench press, if you don't have a spotter, you're best off using dumbells instead of a barbell, or if you've had enough practice with it, a weight that you "know" you can lift no problem and just stay far away from failure.

The gym I go to is pretty small and quiet, I go by myself, and I'm often alone with the free weights, so I usually use the dumbells. Generally I get to a point where my left arm just stops moving no matter how much I push, but I'm not in any danger. And as a bonus, it keeps my stronger arm from "carrying" my weaker one.

personally i find bench press form is hard to keep with dumbbells... just when you use a barbell, dont put a lock on the weights
    if you fail, and theres no spotter, you just tilt it and dump the weights, or roll/slide it down your body and off you.

I wouldn't go with the tilt, I've seen a few accidents like that (with really heavy weights) but I still wouldn't rely on it. Rolling down your body is probably ok, but you'd have to have the strength to do that still. I've never tested that myself, and wouldn't want my first time testing it to be when I'm on my own. Better than doing nothing at all, if you end up in that situation, but it shouldn't be seen as like a back-up.

I do hate dumbells, and agree that form's usually better with a barbell. I always use a barbell even without a spotter but I've done bench press for so long I pretty much know exactly what weight/reps I'll be fine on and stay about 2-3 reps away from failure and won't go down unless I'm 99% sure I can lift it, even though there are usually other people around. Never had a time on my own when I've needed assistance.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Inspirational thread, thanks!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I've been lifting heavy regularly since October (but I've done it off and on since high school). I've been eating at a calorie surplus since mid-October. I've gained 9lbs. My size 6 pants STILL FIT. My husband can't tell the difference between my body now and 9lbs ago. Now I may be more "bulky" than some women like and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I love my body and what heavy lifting has done to it. And it's going to be even more awesome when I cut a few pounds of fat this spring.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I've been lifting heavy regularly since October (but I've done it off and on since high school). I've been eating at a calorie surplus since mid-October. I've gained 9lbs. My size 6 pants STILL FIT. My husband can't tell the difference between my body now and 9lbs ago. Now I may be more "bulky" than some women like and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I love my body and what heavy lifting has done to it. And it's going to be even more awesome when I cut a few pounds of fat this spring.
    Awesome! I've just been lifting heavy regularly since January (I have lifted off and on for about 10 years, but never as heavy and never as disciplined). I have been trying to eat at maintenance, but I think I've ended up at a slight surplus on average (so hungry!). I've gained a pound and my measurements are still the same. I don't care if I gain 10 lbs, so long as my measurements stay the same or go down! (Which I'm confident they will when I decide to cut.)
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Honestly, I only do cardio workouts and crunches. The thought of weight lifting scares me. I have no upper body strength whats so ever. Anybody got advice how to start? I really like reading about the results you all had, I have hit a plateau doing only cardio.

I started with these links and did do some tweaking since I workout mostly at home.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I love strength training and what it is doing for curves.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    ugggh I wish I had access to a gym!! Live out in the country and the gym in my town doesn't have daycare for my son. I wish I would have known about these kinds of results before I signed up for my spin class at school. I def would have went for a lifting class, instead! Oh well. I agree with low weight, high reps being time consuming, but I've had awesome results with my PURPLE dumbbells and Jillian videos. :) BUT, I know if I'm having good results this way, they'd be even better with heavy lifting. Maybe I can use an elective on a lifting class next semester.

You don't need a gym. I do it at home with free weights and they are not pink. Currently doing the Chalean Extreme program.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Love this thread! I've been lifting "heavy" for 6 weeks and have lost a pant size.

For all of you ladies out there, check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. It's an AWESOME book and will really help you shape your body!

I definitely don't look like a man and can't wait to lift even heavier!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    The improvements strength training does to one's body and appearance is amazing, but even better is the changes it can make to your LIFE.

I'm hypermobile, and used to throw out my back every few months, leaving me shaped like a question mark and unable to stand straight for almost a week at a time. My knees and hips would pop out of joint. My wrists and ankles would get injured regularly... I was in a wrist brace off and on for most of 2008. I had a stiff neck and couldn't turn my head for a week after a game of flip cup. (My first sports injury! :laugh: )

Aside from my stress fracture (from too much running, not from strength training), I've been injury free. My hips don't pop out, my back and core are strong, my muscles support my wonky joints. I was becoming resigned to the fact that I was getting older and my body just wasn't what it used to be... now I feel like I turned back the hands of time. Screw you, Mother Nature... Almost 40 is still young!

And my butt looks cuter, too. :drinker:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    The improvements strength training does to one's body and appearance is amazing, but even better is the changes it can make to your LIFE.

I'm hypermobile, and used to throw out my back every few months, leaving me shaped like a question mark and unable to stand straight for almost a week at a time. My knees and hips would pop out of joint. My wrists and ankles would get injured regularly... I was in a wrist brace off and on for most of 2008. I had a stiff neck and couldn't turn my head for a week after a game of flip cup. (My first sports injury! :laugh: )

Aside from my stress fracture (from too much running, not from strength training), I've been injury free. My hips don't pop out, my back and core are strong, my muscles support my wonky joints. I was becoming resigned to the fact that I was getting older and my body just wasn't what it used to be... now I feel like I turned back the hands of time. Screw you, Mother Nature... Almost 40 is still young!

And my butt looks cuter, too. :drinker:
    That is awesome to hear. I am also hypermobile. So far (in my life, not strength training) I have had problems with one knee (multiple dislocations and subluxations and eventually surgery) and a shoulder that has subluxed once. But the stronger I make my legs, the more confident I feel about my knees! I'm glad to hear that other people are having the same experience.
  • DominiqueSJay
    DominiqueSJay Posts: 17 Member
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Well said. The only way you will grow lifting heavy is when you have a calorie excess and when you are dieting, this is impossible.. You WON'T get bigger going heavy, just more shapely.

^
    This

Plus, lifting heavy has proven to help maintain strength while on a calorie deficit.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Also, I have to say, after having a quick look through the thread a few of you are being harsh and and over-critical toward people who are saying they have never done it before and feel a little intimidated by it. ****ty attitudes that aren't needed on a support site, especially toward people who are obviously interested in trying this new venture.

Probably because these people are clearly "having a quick look through the thread" and hitting Reply before seeing that their questions have been answered 5 to 6 times. But just to do it again:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Bodybuilding.com
    Talk to a trainer at your gym

All of these are resources easy to research online and handle oneself to get going.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I do hate dumbells, and agree that form's usually better with a barbell. I always use a barbell even without a spotter but I've done bench press for so long I pretty much know exactly what weight/reps I'll be fine on and stay about 2-3 reps away from failure and won't go down unless I'm 99% sure I can lift it, even though there are usually other people around. Never had a time on my own when I've needed assistance.

This exactly. This is why I always recommend that people start at the very bottom and work their way up. If you do that, you'll always know what your limits are and if you are approaching them.
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Bump.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    I am 55 years old and have been working out since October. At that time I started with Jillian's RIP and C25K. Accomplishing that gave me the incentive to start going to the gym. I have been lifting heavy for the past month and am now running 3 miles a day. I have lost 16 lbs since the beginning and would like to lose about 20 more but I have gone from a size 10 pants to a 6 . I definetly advocate lifting heavy... If you lift 5 lbs and go from 10 reps to 50 all you have done is increase the endurance, not the strenth. If this grandma can do it , anyone can.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Also, I have to say, after having a quick look through the thread a few of you are being harsh and and over-critical toward people who are saying they have never done it before and feel a little intimidated by it. ****ty attitudes that aren't needed on a support site, especially toward people who are obviously interested in trying this new venture.

Probably because these people are clearly "having a quick look through the thread" and hitting Reply before seeing that their questions have been answered 5 to 6 times. But just to do it again:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Bodybuilding.com
    Talk to a trainer at your gym

All of these are resources easy to research online and handle oneself to get going.

honestly, I cant wait for the people that are too lazy to read first to post on bodybuilding.com.... they will get eaten alive.
    its a great source of info.. but you dont want to go on there posting BS the same way its done on here. lol.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I am 55 years old and have been working out since October. At that time I started with Jillian's RIP and C25K. Accomplishing that gave me the incentive to start going to the gym. I have been lifting heavy for the past month and am now running 3 miles a day. I have lost 16 lbs since the beginning and would like to lose about 20 more but I have gone from a size 10 pants to a 6 . I definetly advocate lifting heavy... If you lift 5 lbs and go from 10 reps to 50 all you have done is increase the endurance, not the strenth. If this grandma can do it , anyone can.

You are my new favorite person on MFP. GO YOU!!!
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    I recently started lifting heavy and can't wait to see the results! Already I'm able to lift more and more, so that's awesome!