Would I be Rude?

Options

Replies

• Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how often these dinners occur and how often you accept the invites. If you see your sister and her family often, declining every now and again shouldn't seem rude. But if it's more of an "occasion" and you feel you might be missing out on precious family time (or think your sis will feel this way), then making an effort to show up and hang out would be a great idea. Making your diet fit your life will probably yield longer lasting success than trying to make your life fit your diet.

I think this is by far the best comment! Her second comment as well!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Only bring it if you brought enough for everyone.
  • seraphh
    Options
    Seriously, if you aren't going to eat what's on offer, or at least pick at it or choose what you WILL eat from it, don't bother. Taking your own food sends a message to the host that you don't trust their tastes (in anything), and it makes you look like an *kitten* by announcing it t.o the entire dinner party
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would probably eat 1 piece of chicken and some greens and call it a day and maybe a bite or two or the cobbler for my sweet tooth. That way I would have had something I enjoyed and stuck within my calories range.

I enjoy food but portion control is key....it is like when I bring my kids to McDonalds oncea month for a treat.... am I going to sit there miserable and eat a salad or nothing? No way !!! I would eat a Bacon Cheeseburger and half of a small frie with diet coke.... 455 calories total..... and that way I feel satisfied, didn`t go over my calories and still continue to lose weight.

Choices.... not easy.... but sometimes you got to make due....
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Take her invite, enjoy your day!!! Life's too short to be so strict. :-)
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I see my parents almost every day and never less than every other day. I usually see my sister at least 2-3 times a week and we talk every day. I have just started being really serious about my weight loss and health and am afraid that as one person commented above that these would be trigger foods that would derail me once again. It also would not be as big a problem if I had had a little more notice and had planned my day accordingly. I definitely have not deprived myself of anything I wanted since I have started this journey, but I have made the appropriate choices for my other meals when I was going to splurge a little bit.

As far as the class, these 2 are the last ones until Monday. I can still walk on the treadmill and do cardio work.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eat the greens, and the chicken with the skin peeled off. Even if the greens were cooked with fat, not enough is going to stay on them to cause a major calorie hit. And greens are extremely nutritious.

And it's perfectly fine to take small samples of the rest. Just don't go overboard.

^^^ Exactly. I would bring a giant veggieful salad (with light & regular dressings on the side) for everyone to share, and fill half my plate with that. Then, remove all the skin/breading from a chicken breast, and take maybe a bite worth of each of the other items so that I don't feel deprived. Show them by example how healthy choices can effect even heavy meals.

Maybe choose another activity at a later time, like a good jog/walk so that you don't have to leave early?
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thank your sister for the invite, and suggest you come for the after dinner entertainment/conversation. Eat your meal before you go. This way you are enjoying the company, and she should understand the goal you are working so hard to reach.

Just a thought
  • AceyFaceX
    Options
    I think that if you want to, you should eat with your family and you can make up the exercise next Thursday. Dieting will be unbearable if we don't take breaks once in a while. If it's been a while since you've taken it easy, I say enjoy that fried chicken, but don't shoot yourself in the foot about it tomorrow. Enjoy it. (:
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The idea of "everything in moderation" doesn't work for everyone (some people are addicted to food and avoiding triggers is easier than trying to have them in moderation). That being said, you can try to eat a small portion of what is being served, or bring a healthy dish to add to the dinner and fill up on that, or even bring your own dinner as you suggested. Whatever allows you to have an enjoyable experience with your family without unnecessary pressure now or guilt later.

Best wishes :)
    [/quote]

This is so freaking true. Pizza is mine and I avoid it like the plague because I know for a fact that I can't stop eating it until it's gone.
    I say if you are really that worried\upset about eating that food, then don't. Call her up and tell her that you wanna spend time with her and the family and stuff, but you don't wanna upset your diet. Then tell her that you'll be bringing your own dinner to save her having to cook something else for just one person. I've found that telling people in advance that you are gonna bring your own food and putting a positive spin on things instead of being all closed off and depressed can really help.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eat the greens, and the chicken with the skin peeled off. Even if the greens were cooked with fat, not enough is going to stay on them to cause a major calorie hit. And greens are extremely nutritious.

And it's perfectly fine to take small samples of the rest. Just don't go overboard.

this is a good idea.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Go to the class! It is really not a big deal either way though. I do a workout class thursday nights every week and I don't make plans for things that would conflict it. Being able to show some will power and sacrifice actually feels really good, better than the feeling you have after eating fried chicken :bigsmile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything in that menu that you couldn't eat. Family is important, if you can't ever eat with your family, what's the point?
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My sister text me today to ask if I wanted to come to dinner with her family tonight. She said they were having "soul food" but I should be able to find something I could eat. Said she planned to eat about 5-5:30.

I called to discuss this with her and she expanded on the soul food definition - it includes fried chicken, greens, homemade macaroni and cheese, homemade baked beans (which has hamburger meat and barbecue sauce added), and a homemade peach cobbler. WTH??? What do you see in that menu that I would ever be able to eat?

The other problem is that I usually go to the body toning class at 5 on Thursday. There is a 6 oclock class that I could make if I eat and run.

So, do I just absolutely decline the invite or do I take my own supper that I was planning to eat anyway and eat and enjoy the company and just leave in time to go to the gym?

I'm of the opinion that sometimes life take precedence over the gym and dietary goals. Go, enjoy the food and company. Get to the gym tomorrow. Being healthy is great. But what is the point of being healthy if you have to forego all of life's pleasures for the rest of your life?

Moderation is key.

I agree with this ^^^ person. Life is short. Will you look back and say "Damn! I shouldn't have had that meal!", or will you be glad you enjoyed a delicious meal wtih people you love? Don't overload the plate. Eat a moderate portion of what you want. You are probably totally on plan the rest of the time-- the occasional high-cal meal likely will have little or no impact. Enjoy it and your family! Lucky you having people invite you for dinner. :smile:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Rent the movie 'Soul Food' first. That way you can make an informed decision.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the replies. I wouldn't eat something that doesn't fit into my plan just because that's what somebody else wants to serve.

I do agree that taking your own food would be rude. I'd either skip it or eat on my own before (or after) I went. You can enjoy their company without eating their food.
  • Singsince2
    Options
    I think you should go and eat the chicken without the skin. Have an apple before you go in the house and that might keep you from feeling too deprived. You could also offer to bring something. :-) An appetizer of veggies or fruit might be ok. Maybe you could make a fruit tray and serve something on the side as a "comfort food" dip. Something you don't eat of course... you can just eat the fruit and make them think you are playing along on the high calorie fun.
  • Hyperspace
    Options

is that true for stirfrying veggies in oil?

I think less so--- Greens are usually boiled with some bacon or fatback, then drained so a lot of the fat is removed with the water. Veggie stir fry-- I'd guess more oil is retained, but you can minimize it by waiting until the pan is good and hot before frying so the veggs don't soak up the oil so much. You can minimize it even more by patting the oil off with a paper towel (my husband does that to pizzas).
  • katcain1
    Options
    Bring a healthy dish (maybe a large green salad) to share and fill up on that and just taste everything else. Then go to the gym.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I see my parents almost every day and never less than every other day. I usually see my sister at least 2-3 times a week and we talk every day. I have just started being really serious about my weight loss and health and am afraid that as one person commented above that these would be trigger foods that would derail me once again. It also would not be as big a problem if I had had a little more notice and had planned my day accordingly. I definitely have not deprived myself of anything I wanted since I have started this journey, but I have made the appropriate choices for my other meals when I was going to splurge a little bit.

As far as the class, these 2 are the last ones until Monday. I can still walk on the treadmill and do cardio work.

Can you go to your 5 o'clock class and then go hang out. Maybe just have some cobbler? Eat the dinner you had planned. I don't know if that's possible, but if you see your sister often and you too are close I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to refuse or eat what you want without offending her.

I'm surprised by what some of the people here say about bringing your own food being rude honestly, after all, if close family can't understand and support your attempt at change who can? You should be able to do what you need to do with those close to you.