Tattoos in the workplace...?

Options

Replies

• baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. If you want to limit your opportunities, get visible tattoos. If you don't want to work for companies that prohibit visible tattoos that's fine too. Just keep in mind, you've limited your opportunities. I know people who have had trouble getting jobs and have been passed over for promotions due to tattoos. They complain, but I remind them it was their choice and shouldn't place blame on anyone but themselves. I know lots of people who got visible tattoos years ago and are now having trouble finding jobs where they can make a decent living. They get angry at the world and the employers. They say its not fair that people judge them for their tattoos. You know....life isn't fair and you should never intentionally limit your opportunities.

Remember also, whether something is offensive varies greatly from person to person. Something that might not be offensive to you or "cool" to you or your friends could keep limit your earnings and employment potential. Again, your choice.

I am a Fortune 100 corporate executive and have plenty of tattoos, but when I am sitting in a board room or speaking at a conference in front of hundreds of people, you never see my tattoos. They are personal expressions which I consider art. My vanity or ego doesn't require that I show them off to everyone. I don't need the personal validation of someone saying, "nice ink" and get more satisfaction of them liking me for who I am and not my tattoos.

My recommendation is to only have them that can easily be covered up. Tattoos, like any other artform or fashion will eventually go our of style. Think to the future and make wise decisions, because your life will likely make many "track changes" over the years and you just don't want to limit your opportunities.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    someday i hope body art will be included

its a matter of time my friend, trust me!

I'm not so sure.

Your tattoos are a choice you made, your gender is not. Right or wrong, employers may judge you for that choice.

You have the right to interview at Pricewaterhouse dressed as a purple dinosaur, and they have the right to not hire you.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I work on a military base in a military store. Tattoos are totally accepted. Weird color hair and piercings?? Not so much. Though no one every really notices the Playboy Bunny nose ring I wear every day, lmao.
  • aworkma6
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my tattoos being shown in the workplace, but I'm still in school working hourly jobs. As a general rule of thumb, I cover up for interviews and always ask about the tattoo policy after I have been offered the job.

As for covering up at work, most of my tattoos are covered except for my chest piece if it pokes out of a v-neck or hoodie. I find it more comfortable that way because I am not constantly explaining my tattoos to my clients, haha!
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I work at a restaurant with a gal who is a severe diabetic and wears an insulin pump. She has a medical symbol for diabetes tattooed on her wrist so if she were to pass out and an ambulance come to her rescue, they'd have a clue as to what's wrong with her. She is required by the restaurant to keep it covered. She responds with, "That's right, I wouldn't want my customers to be my first responders." (insert sarcasm). For the simple fact that it's a medical issue, I think the restaurant should allow it to show.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was at Rubios (fast food place) the kid at the cash register had his ears plugged (gauged?), but he had the plugs out. I assume it was the policy of the business.

I would have much rather seen his plugs in than look at his big earlobes flopping around while I ordered my tacos.
  • aworkma6
    Options
    Right?!

I feel the same way when I see employees having to cover their nose/eyebrow/lip ring with a bandaid.

Whoops! Sorry. That was to arc918. I fail at the internet.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. If you want to limit your opportunities, get visible tattoos. If you don't want to work for companies that prohibit visible tattoos that's fine too. Just keep in mind, you've limited your opportunities. I know people who have had trouble getting jobs and have been passed over for promotions due to tattoos. They complain, but I remind them it was their choice and shouldn't place blame on anyone but themselves. I know lots of people who got visible tattoos years ago and are now having trouble finding jobs where they can make a decent living. They get angry at the world and the employers. They say its not fair that people judge them for their tattoos. You know....life isn't fair and you should never intentionally limit your opportunities.

Remember also, whether something is offensive varies greatly from person to person. Something that might not be offensive to you or "cool" to you or your friends could keep limit your earnings and employment potential. Again, your choice.

I am a Fortune 100 corporate executive and have plenty of tattoos, but when I am sitting in a board room or speaking at a conference in front of hundreds of people, you never see my tattoos. They are personal expressions which I consider art. My vanity or ego doesn't require that I show them off to everyone. I don't need the personal validation of someone saying, "nice ink" and get more satisfaction of them liking me for who I am and not my tattoos.

My recommendation is to only have them that can easily be covered up. Tattoos, like any other artform or fashion will eventually go our of style. Think to the future and make wise decisions, because your life will likely make many "track changes" over the years and you just don't want to limit your opportunities.

very well said.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    THIS

That's just reality. And it's the same for obese applicants as well. How we present ourselves has a huge baring on our level of success. The world may pretend to be accepting and tolerant, but it most assuredly is NOT!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed that tattoos are often looked down upon in the workplace. To me that seems extremely trivial and judgemental of people.

I have 2, for the most part I can hide em, the one on my arm will peek out in some short sleeved shirts, but the one on my back you have to be looking down my shirt. If society (and my so called profession) wasn't full of so many uptight people, I'd have a more visible one on my underside forearm.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was an art teacher for four years and I had a wonderful intern who had beautiful tattoos. I always thought it was a shame that she couldn't let them show since they are art after all, but it was a conservative school district. She had them strategically placed on her shoulders so that she could cover them with a blouse easily. She was a lot better at teaching than the non-tattooed intern that the school district ultimately hired to take my place. They said they hired her over my intern because she looked "classy." I pitched a fit about it but ultimately it wasn't my decision. :/
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I wear a sweater...but you can see my plugs, the tattoo on my neck, and the tattoo on my wrist. I want someone to see me when they walk through my office door, not my tattoos. It's a business first, fashion later. If I can see your tattoo like the guy in the picture, that's fine, but I don't want to see your 5 foot pink hair do with tears tattooed on your cheek...keep it classy.

Its not "classy" to look a way that makes you happy? Maybe people shouldn't have to cater to you. If you don't like it, Don't look!

if you don't like it, don't work

Uh wow. Talking to you is obviously POINTLESS if that is how you think. Its sad that a persons employment is limited because they choose to be themselves. If thats the world you want to live in, have fun! I refuse to change myself for discrimination & small minded people.
  • karibrit
    Options
    Qualification is debatable. Since most people need a job these days, you could be interviewing the same day as a perceived clean-cut, well dressed person who has pretty much the exact same credentials as you. Guess who is hired?

Discrimination in this instance would be rather hard to prove--and costly. The manger could say Mr. clean cut had a more friendly personality, or seemed more detailed orientated, or had a better grasp of customer service……

In my office (Domestic Sales) it’s office dress clothes. Some do have ankle or foot tattoos, and I’ve seen one writst tat (she hated it and wished she didn’t get it). A friend just got a full sleeve and always keeps it covered. I think the small tattoos are overlooked if they are more discreetly placed and covered (how many people stare at your feet?) And once someone is hired and past the probationary period and is doing a good job, discreet tats seem to be overlooked even if they happen to peak out beneath a short shirt sleeve on Casusal Friday.

My own tattoo is covered as it’s over my belly button and I’m not one for wearing middy tops these days….. planing for another one somewhere on my torso, I think.
    I took my nose ring out 15 years ago--just tired of it I guess. Now it looks like a pore
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    For me, I wouldnt work somewhere that would limit exposure of tattoos, however that doesnt mean I dont understand why some environments do.
    Personally, I am a creative individual that wouldnt fit in a "typical" corporate environment. I dont consider this to be limiting my opportunities. What I do consider limiting is working somewhere that stiffles my individuality. But thats ME and what works for MY life.

I encourage people tattooed or not, to find a workplace that fits YOU. If showing your tattoos is a priority, then seek out that environment.

We should tolerate and appreciate everyone's individuality. The world would be a really boring place if we were all exactly alike.
  • branflake6
    Options
    I see no problem, with it. A tattoo or 50 of them has nothing to do with the persons ability to do the job or their work ethic.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I see no problem, with it. A tattoo or 50 of them has nothing to do with the persons ability to do the job or their work ethic.

Your ability to do your job is often compromised by how MY customers perceive your appearance...
  • mcmahonclan5
    Options
    I hid my foot tat for about a year when I first started. When I learned that the Manager had three and rocked em from time to time, I eased up and started showing it in the Spring/Summer. I was in the Chief's office one day and she commented on it; said she never knew I had it (even though I had been showing it for months). It didn't seem to phase her and she already knew I was capable of getting the job done. It just depends on where you work.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't work now. I'm a spoiled house *****. But when I did, I worked in a hospital. Some days I wore a lab coat to cover my sleeve, some days I didn't. I didn't have the sleeve when I first started there. I was told once by my boss that "it scares the old folks". I just told her that my art in no way represents my ability to wipe *kitten* all day.
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    The funny thing is . . . the crappiest job I ever had had the most lenient dress code. All my tattoos were visible, all my piercings . . . I even dyed my hair crazy colors and nobody cared.

Then I got a "real" job and suddenly they cared. In fact, my ex-boss managed to almost get me fired over my nose ring. Really?

Like my mom says, corporate offices are often still run by rich old conservative white guys who don't understand and/or dislike body modifications.

Hopefully I will find a job that I love that lets me show off my art. I'm still waiting!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Lots of work places have a dress code. I see the "no visible tattoos" policy as just part of the dress code. If you don't like having your individuality repressed for a few hours a day then find a job that doesn't have a dress code. I've been in my line of work for almost 17 years and have moved up to a pretty good position. There's a dress code at my place of work. I follow the freakin dress code so I can make the money that allows me to support my family. It's not stifling my individuality that I can only wear jeans on Fridays even if that's who I am. My job is not my life - it funds my life. I make pretty decent money and if the price I have to pay is wearing slacks and long sleeve shirts that's fine by me. I'll be able to retire at 52 and then I can set my own dress code. When I'm in the office I'm wearing what they say I should wear. I spend a good amount of time working outside the office around the state and I can dress pretty much however I want then.