Dose of "reality" check..................

Options
1235»

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

You are seriously awesome!! Weightlifting, running, cycling?? I want to be you when my kids grow up.

Everything is relative. Many people would not call my "running" running, LOL. Working on it. And, even though I'm striving to lift heavy. Heavy for me is not very heavy.....yet!

It is easier when you are an empty-nester again. I have a lot more time on my hands, less chores and housework, no running around to soccer/baseball/dance/piano/etc., so I have more time for me.

However, I sure wish I had done it when I was younger as now my kids have weight issues that, if we had tackled this as a family, they might not have to be dealing with as adults.

And, to be honest, the parents who work full-time, chase around after their kids, take care of their homes, AND eat healthy and exercise are the ones that really have my admiration. Wow! It makes me tired just typing all that.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    Wow, you see, I thought this was a 'support' network where people come for 'support' when they're struggling. And being a weightloss tool, I figured it was where people could come and 'whine' when they were struggling with their weight loss to get said support.... gee, guess I was wrong.......

I appreciate what you're trying to say..... there are always going to be people with way more problems than you or I, but today I was feeling a bit disappointed that I'd only lost three quarters of a pound. I've worked hard on my exercise and have stuck to my diet, I'm just glad I didn't mention it on the forums now because whilst I know my problems are menial in comparison to some, it's something that's important to me and sometimes you just want to have a bit of moral support from others that are in a similar situation.

OK, here's how I see it. I don't mind if people express frustration and then ask for input. That's all part of the learning experience. Giving people information and a little pep talk are part of being a good support system. Nothing wrong with that.

I do get weary of people who are just shooting for maximum weight loss via "tricks" and who, when given solid information to help them achieve their goals, keep coming back and whining without trying any of them. Or who focus on the scale so much that they still whine even if they admit that they have lost inches or clothing sizes because the scale weight is more important than their size. Really? What sense does that make? I've lost a pant size since Christmas yet I've only lost 1#. Am I upset because I only lost 1? Heck no!

And I have seen some of the same people come back on the forums and repeatedly ask for more "tricks" even though people have helped and supported them numerous times in the past. Oy veh!

We have total control of our eating and exercise programs. We have no control over the scale. Focus on what you can control, tweaking here and there if needed, properly fueling your body, and the scale will respond appropriately when it's ready.
  • katcj
    katcj Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I do get weary of people who are just shooting for maximum weight loss via "tricks" and who, when given solid information to help them achieve their goals, keep coming back and whining without trying any of them. Or who focus on the scale so much that they still whine even if they admit that they have lost inches or clothing sizes because the scale weight is more important than their size. Really? What sense does that make? I've lost a pant size since Christmas yet I've only lost 1#. Am I upset because I only lost 1? Heck no!

And I have seen some of the same people come back on the forums and repeatedly ask for more "tricks" even though people have helped and supported them numerous times in the past. Oy veh!

We have total control of our eating and exercise programs. We have no control over the scale. Focus on what you can control, tweaking here and there if needed, properly fueling your body, and the scale will respond appropriately when it's ready.

Yes, I agree that if it's 'serial' whingers that don't take any notice of the advice offered then they deserve all they get, but to be honest, the OP didn't really make that entirely clear..... to me at least.

My frustration yesterday was because, whilst I had lost 3/4 of a lb, and an inch of my waist...... my hip measurement remained the same, and my tummy just isn't getting any smaller.... however, I think I know the reason for this, and sadly, it isn't anything that I can control. And although it really is quite trivial in comparison to what a lot of my family and friends are going through at the moment, it is enough to get me down a little. That said, I'm not going to give in and only whinged to my close family and friends. :smile:
  • pinktulip76
    Options
    so true!!!! Get of it and MOVE!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, you see, I thought this was a 'support' network where people come for 'support' when they're struggling. And being a weightloss tool, I figured it was where people could come and 'whine' when they were struggling with their weight loss to get said support.... gee, guess I was wrong.......

I appreciate what you're trying to say..... there are always going to be people with way more problems than you or I, but today I was feeling a bit disappointed that I'd only lost three quarters of a pound. I've worked hard on my exercise and have stuck to my diet, I'm just glad I didn't mention it on the forums now because whilst I know my problems are menial in comparison to some, it's something that's important to me and sometimes you just want to have a bit of moral support from others that are in a similar situation.

I think this is part of what he's talking about. Complaining about losing "only" 3/4ths of a pound in a week is silly, as it's average weight loss. You should be averaging a pound a week, unless you have over a hundred pounds left to lose. I'm currently averaging about half a pound a week. And that includes 3 months with no change in weight at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Understand my position. As a trainer I always confront EXPECTATIONS that aren't realistic. For some here to expect to lose more than a pound a week, an inch a week, never to gain weight, weighing everyday and gauging that as success or failure is consistent amongst the whiners. While I can see frustration and voicing it, there is a difference for those that actually do the work and those that whine when in truth, they probably AREN'T really doing what it takes.
    I do a lot of support for people here..........................I just do it in a Tough Love way. If you need any help just PM me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • funkycamper
    Options

Yes, I agree that if it's 'serial' whingers that don't take any notice of the advice offered then they deserve all they get, but to be honest, the OP didn't really make that entirely clear..... to me at least.

My frustration yesterday was because, whilst I had lost 3/4 of a lb, and an inch of my waist...... my hip measurement remained the same, and my tummy just isn't getting any smaller.... however, I think I know the reason for this, and sadly, it isn't anything that I can control. And although it really is quite trivial in comparison to what a lot of my family and friends are going through at the moment, it is enough to get me down a little. That said, I'm not going to give in and only whinged to my close family and friends. :smile:

I am not totally insensitive to what causes whining. I used to do it myself once in awhile. Although, pretty much just to my husband. I was able to get out of the whining mindset when I decided it was time to implement SMARTER goal-setting techniques into my fitness plans. S=specific; M=measurable; A=achievable; R=realistic or relevant; T=time sensitive or trackable; E=evaluate and enjoyable; R=reevaluate and rewarding. It's been a big help.

Your frustration is caused, imho, by being focused on the wrong things. We can't control how fast the scale moves. We have limited control over inches lost based on what kind of exercises we're doing and our genetics. We have total control of our eating and exercise plans. Focus on what you can control. Don't worry about the rest as these will eventually move in the direction you want as long as you are sticking to a good plan.

If you do this for awhile and don't see results, then maybe your food and exercise plan need reevaluating. Then come to the forums and other sources of information, read up to get educated and ideas, ask questions, try what tweaking makes the most sense, and give it a few weeks before reevaluating whether it works for you.

None of this requires whining. Whining is an action indicating there is some stress or, even worse, distress. Stress raises cortisol levels which negatively impact weight loss.

Above all, keep it fun. If I wasn't having fun on this journey, I would have quit a long time ago. It's fun to run farther, cycle faster or lift a heavy weight that I couldn't budge a few months ago. I haven't measured myself since I started but it's fun to fit into progressively skinnier jeans. Clothes getting too loose and baggy to wear gives me all the feedback on inches I need. I only weigh weekly because I'm in a weight loss competition with some family members which requires a weekly weight report. If not for that, I wouldn't be weighing more than about once a month or so.

I used to be a slave to the scale and tape measure. No more. Now I measure my increasing strength and endurance and the ability to physically do things I previously couldn't. The only thing I really record and assess is my weight-training workouts. The rest are just by how I feel. And it works without stress and no whining.

Example: I recently started a training program to increase my miles and speed in cycling due to a 200-mile ride I have planned for this summer. When I get home, I have to climb a long hill with some rather steep sections. The first time I did it, I could only climb to a certain point and walked my bike the rest of the way home. Did I whine? No. I did note just where I burned out with a goal to get past it the next time. As I continue to get farther up the hill each time, it's a success. And once I master this hill, I will seek out steeper hills to practice on.

Well, I've blabbered long enough. Attitude is everything and I have learned that whining is a negative effect on attitude. So find things to celebrate and keep the process fun and the rest will fall into place. IMHO, anyway. Enjoy the journey!
  • katcj
    Options

Understand my position. As a trainer I always confront EXPECTATIONS that aren't realistic. For some here to expect to lose more than a pound a week, an inch a week, never to gain weight, weighing everyday and gauging that as success or failure is consistent amongst the whiners. While I can see frustration and voicing it, there is a difference for those that actually do the work and those that whine when in truth, they probably AREN'T really doing what it takes.
    I do a lot of support for people here..........................I just do it in a Tough Love way. If you need any help just PM me.

Well, that I can agree with then. I know that I won't have good weeks every week, and I also know that because I don't have so much to lose now, for me personally, the weight will start coming off more slowly and that's not really such a bad thing because I also know that's the best way to lose it and keep it off - for me, yesterday was a bit of a blip I think, not helped by being just a little bit impatient from time to time. And thank you for your offer of help - one day I might just take you up on that! :smile:
  • katcj
    Options

I am not totally insensitive to what causes whining. I used to do it myself once in awhile. Although, pretty much just to my husband. I was able to get out of the whining mindset when I decided it was time to implement SMARTER goal-setting techniques into my fitness plans. S=specific; M=measurable; A=achievable; R=realistic or relevant; T=time sensitive or trackable; E=evaluate and enjoyable; R=reevaluate and rewarding. It's been a big help.

Your frustration is caused, imho, by being focused on the wrong things. We can't control how fast the scale moves. We have limited control over inches lost based on what kind of exercises we're doing and our genetics. We have total control of our eating and exercise plans. Focus on what you can control. Don't worry about the rest as these will eventually move in the direction you want as long as you are sticking to a good plan.

<snip>

Well, I've blabbered long enough. Attitude is everything and I have learned that whining is a negative effect on attitude. So find things to celebrate and keep the process fun and the rest will fall into place. IMHO, anyway. Enjoy the journey!

I haven't heard the SMARTER thing quoted for a long time - but that's a good idea. I will try to keep that in mind, and you're right that things will fall into place if I stick with what I'm doing.

FWIW, I am usually very, very positive, and motivate my own friends quite well. It's rare that you will find me whining, but I'm human and every so often, I find myself needing the support that I can usually give to others.... but at least I do put the effort in and if I ask for advice, I am grateful of any offered and don't disregard what I've been told without giving it a try at least. :smile:
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    Amen! I can totally relate to that. I went to my pulmonary doctor this week and she came in the room whining about her computer and her day being bad.....as I sit there using 10 liters of oxygen and end stage lung disease I just want to scream at her to shut the @#@% up, or walk a mile in one of her patients shoes.

Julie who is 52 and happy to wake up each day
  • funkycamper
    Options

<snip>

I haven't heard the SMARTER thing quoted for a long time - but that's a good idea. I will try to keep that in mind, and you're right that things will fall into place if I stick with what I'm doing.

FWIW, I am usually very, very positive, and motivate my own friends quite well. It's rare that you will find me whining, but I'm human and every so often, I find myself needing the support that I can usually give to others.... but at least I do put the effort in and if I ask for advice, I am grateful of any offered and don't disregard what I've been told without giving it a try at least. :smile:

I'm glad my post might help you a bit. I know it's made the whole thing so much easier for me. And, above all else, remember that life is supposed to be fun and rewarding. I find a lot of fun and reward in my workouts and the way healthy eating makes me feel.

But I also enjoy doing a bit of zig-zagging my calories and having splurges throughout the week. Tonight I'm going to a special dinner with chicken cordon bleu, baked potato (in which I'll stuff as much butter and sour cream as I want), and a big dessert and a drink or two. As long as I eat well the other days and keep exercising, I don't really see this as having a negative impact on my weight loss. Maybe I lose a little slower while doing it but the whole process is more fun and less daunting when I allow myself some wonderful guilt-free splurges.

I just thought of something I should admit about whining. I just remembered that I had an experience about a week ago where my athletic performance was no near as good as I anticipated. I have a bad hip that can give me trouble sometimes. Anyway, I did get frustrated and whined a little to my coach who gave me the buck-up talk I needed. I then went home and actually cried a little on my husband's shoulder. But I think the difference between what I did and the perpetual whining I see some folks doing around MFP is that, after I got a little sympathy and felt soothed, I immediately turned around and did some research, came up with a plan to strengthen that particular hip, ran my ideas past my coach, and have added some exercises for just the weak hip to my routine in order to strengthen it and bring it up to the level of my other hip. After they're even, then I'll work on both hips to strengthen them both more and equally as this will have positive impacts on my performance. I didn't let that little incident derail me. I used it to fuel my desire to attain a new goal.

Anyway, we all fall down sometimes. We just need to pick ourselves back up and keep going, right?
  • funkycamper
    Options
    Amen! I can totally relate to that. I went to my pulmonary doctor this week and she came in the room whining about her computer and her day being bad.....as I sit there using 10 liters of oxygen and end stage lung disease I just want to scream at her to shut the @#@% up, or walk a mile in one of her patients shoes.

Best wishes as you deal with this terrible disease. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Take care.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Here's hoping that you can have a much better quality of life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition