Options

Replies

• Kendrawinn
    Options
    I use truvia.... love it!
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I avoid most "sugar free" and "fat free" products because they aren't digested the same way and do alter insuline levels. Those points have not been disputed regardless of whether or not the products have been "deemed safe" by people selling something. I think of it like dessert or alcohol. Not the end of all life as we know it, but not something to use everyday.

Also important to note: When they say "safe for most", you may not be included in that "most". My daughter goes berzerkers on corn syrup... like exorsist berzerkers... and it's EVERY TIME and in ANY amount, one drop of ketchup can cause a total meltdown over the smallest frustrations. IMO: NOT SAFE!!! In my house, the more natural we eat, the healtheir we are. The end.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I avoid most "sugar free" and "fat free" products because they aren't digested the same way and do alter insuline levels. Those points have not been disputed regardless of whether or not the products have been "deemed safe" by people selling something. I think of it like dessert or alcohol. Not the end of all life as we know it, but not something to use everyday.

Also important to note: When they say "safe for most", you may not be included in that "most". My daughter goes berzerkers on corn syrup... like exorsist berzerkers... and it's EVERY TIME and in ANY amount, one drop of ketchup can cause a total meltdown over the smallest frustrations. IMO: NOT SAFE!!! In my house, the more natural we eat, the healtheir we are. The end.

I am severly allergic to hair dyes,it will give me chemical burns anywhere it touches so yeah its not safe for me,but that does not mean its dangerous for everyone
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Asparteme is converted into fomaldihide (can't spell) in you digestive system so it embalms you from the inside! Not cool!!

Please let me preface this post by saying that I do not advocate the use of artificial sweeteners or artificial much of anything.

Regardless, low levels of formaldehyde in will certainly not embalm you from the inside out. Formaldehyde is something that occurs naturally in the human body and is actually necessary for human life. See the following quote from the Philadelphia Children's Hospital website "formaldehyde is essential in human metabolism and is required for the synthesis of DNA and amino acids (the building blocks of protein). Therefore, all humans have detectable quantities of natural formaldehyde in their circulation (about 2.5 ug of formaldehyde per ml of blood).

This doesn't mean you should intentionally increase your exposure, it just means that a little bit of formaldehyde is actually a good, normal part of your biochemistry.

A good a fair point! Youa re totally right! There are many things that occur naturally in our bodies that we need such as this! I was again refering to a cumulative effect! Should've been more clear!! Sorry!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    The paper which the OP's 'email' came from states at the bottom...
    But most of the studies have limitations such as effects shown only in animals not in human, small sample size, high doses, statistically non-significant or borderline significant, etc.

I'm not defending artificial sweeteners, I'm just saying...Alarmist.

If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/?tool=pubmed

Tried to say this before but my pc crashed! This is not where I go the info. I got from someone trying to sell me their sweetner! If it had said this at the bottom I would've included it!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you read the link some of that is verbatim.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks for pointing out what he was trying to say! Some people don't read between the lines. I have 6 packets of Sweet N Low everyday and I do not gain weight because of it.
    Diarrhea
    Face flushing
    Fatigue
    Sleeping problems
    Nausea
    Kidney stone
    Skin rashes
    Mouth ulcers
    Bloating
    Foot cramps
    Joint pains
    Increase the stomach acid
    Increase urination
    PMS
    Headache
    Insomnia
    Hypoglycaemia

^^^symptoms of vitamin c overdose

Do you know how much Vitamin C you would have to injest to suffer and overdose? The amount is huge! The thing we are talking about take less than half that amount!

I think his point was that you'd probably have to binge on artificial sweeteners in order to get the affects you've posted.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I had a nice long post about the chemistry of it all... And blamo! Gone!

Briefly - Spleda is natural sucrose treated with chlorine. We use chlorine to disinfect, and therefore, it's toxic to living systems. Chlorine gas has been used as a chemical warfare agent. Aspertame does break down to formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen and even brief exposure during a high school dissection could be enough to cause cancer. Do you REALLY want to put these things into your body?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    You should have stated that in the beginning. That it was from a company that was trying to sell you something. If their trying to sell you something, then they are going to tell you everything bad about their competitor, whether it is true or not.
    But most of the studies have limitations such as effects shown only in animals not in human, small sample size, high doses, statistically non-significant or borderline significant, etc.

If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/?tool=pubmed

Tried to say this before but my pc crashed! This is not where I go the info. I got from someone trying to sell me their sweetner! If it had said this at the bottom I would've included it!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I take medication that contains aspartame!!

Yeah, me too. Mine is called diet Mountain Dew :)
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    If you read the link some of that is verbatim.

Really? That is so funny! I love getting recycled information!! Still I would've included the small print if it was there! Can't have a fair debate if you miss out stuff like that!!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    since i have candida, and i'm really having trouble being disciplined enough to do the "diet" to contain them..... I have considered using xylitol. They sell a kind called "ideal' at my grocery store. It kills candida. Made off fruits and veggies. Cup for cup and acts like sugar. Can't eat to much though. It can cause tummy issues.

I also use stevia. Mainly in drinks, etc.

I do have aspartame in my sprite zeros. but i adore them. do wish they would switch to a better kind.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    You should have stated that in the beginning. That it was from a company that was trying to sell you something. If their trying to sell you something, then they are going to tell you everything bad about their competitor, whether it is true or not.

True, however I have just been told that it was taken from another article so actually just recycled information! The original original is in this persons post!
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    my thing everything in moderation, in nz, the studies where people have gotten side effects from artifical sweetners were chewing a pack of gum a day, or drinking litres of fizzy a day! a piece of gum or a can a day isnt going to hurt you!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The reason most of our diet sodas have aspartame and not something like stevia? The FDA (read, friends of the aspartame creators and sellers) won't approve stevia for use in food. Nevermind it's 100% natural. The vitamin water is the only one I've seen that uses stevia as the sweetener, how they got that, I do not know!
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can only add to this that I had to end all splenda/sweet n low usage due to it gave me a rash. Equal does not bother me. I drink diet wild cherry pepsi and it doesn't bother me. But put a couple yellow or pink packets in a cup of coffee and my left thigh will get rash and itch like crazy. Who knows? If you think it's harmful, don't ingest it.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sugar (sucrose) ingestion comes with more consequences than artificial sweeteners. Jeepers, we eat something like 25 teaspoons of sugar a day without even trying because it gets added to so many foods that you don't expect to have any sugar. I've even seen sugar listed as an ingredient in salsa of all things.

If we banned everything that had a negative side-effect on someone somewhere, we'd have nothing left to eat.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Wow it is amazing how angry some people can get during what is suppose to be a civilized debate. As far as this debate goes there is science that supports both the safety of artificial sweetners as well as the unsafeness of them. As a nurse that knows something about the human anatomy and chemical make-up of the body I make the PERSONAL choice not to use artificial sweetners, limit my intake of sugar either in raw form or agave or honey, and I also choose to use Organic meats,diary and fruits and veggies when I can. It is my belief based on medical articles that I have read that NATURAL is better for the human body than UNNATURAL I also have the belief that all the antibiotics given to livestock is the reason for resistant bacteria. And it is also a personal belief based on my own research of the topic of pesticides that organic is the way to go....I mean I am not gonna spray raid on my dinner am I. Personal attacks should not take place on a forum where all people have the same goal....To be Healthy.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I opt for a smaller portion of the real thing vs. chemical-laden products. :flowerforyou:
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Wow it is amazing how angry some people can get during what is suppose to be a civilized debate. As far as this debate goes there is science that supports both the safety of artificial sweetners as well as the unsafeness of them. As a nurse that knows something about the human anatomy and chemical make-up of the body I make the PERSONAL choice not to use artificial sweetners, limit my intake of sugar either in raw form or agave or honey, and I also choose to use Organic meats,diary and fruits and veggies when I can. It is my belief based on medical articles that I have read that NATURAL is better for the human body than UNNATURAL I also have the belief that all the antibiotics given to livestock is the reason for resistant bacteria. And it is also a personal belief based on my own research of the topic of pesticides that organic is the way to go....I mean I am not gonna spray raid on my dinner am I. Personal attacks should not take place on a forum where all people have the same goal....To be Healthy.

On a personal level I totally agree with everything you have just said! We are going to grow our own veg though! Thats our plan!! And we cook 80-90% of our food from scratch to reduce sugars etc! I think I have found a kindred spirit! Btw I am the daughter of a nuse and midwife and I strongly suspect that this is why I have the same opnions that you have just stated!