Why are YOU fat?

Options

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Prednisone.

Same. Had a bad experience with it when I was 5 and it screwed me up for years.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I was lazy.

I liked food.

I hated working out.

Pretty simple.

I have a tub of excuses I have used, but they were all bull**** and it came down to the above.
  • Trinketona
    Options
    Mine is a long one. MMMM
    Ok when I was 12 I dont remember what class it was but we had journals and every morning needed to write a paragraph. One morning the teacher asked about child abuse. I said that it was okay but it thought childen how to behave, because my dad used to hit me with a belt. The teacher read it and of course called CPS. CPS went to my parents house and of course my parents told me that they werent going to hit me anymore that now I would get grounded. They grounded me for a good month or so and of course that meant eat and watch TV. No more going out with friends and run around. I gained a lot of weight and the scale kept going up since then. By the time I was 19 I weighed 250 pounds.

Thats my story.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was extremely stressed out, and began drinking heavily. Then, I remembered that alcoholism runs in my family on my father's side, so I thought it safer to turn to food. I mean, have you ever known anyone to have so much chocolate fudge brownie that they crashed their car into the tree in front of the house, and then beat up their spouse when they stumbled though the front door?

Unfortunately, while I was sparing my liver, I was probably destroying my heart and pancreas. So, now I am trying to lose weight and find more appropriate, healthier outlets to my stress. :D
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was an overfed baby.

Emotional abuse during childhood.

Married an abusive man. Later divorced same (and lost 80 lbs!).

Married a wonderful man ... custodial parent of 4 ... and me with no coping skills for stress except food.

Fibromyalgea flare ups generally mean restricted activity levels... so exercise dropped off.

Oh, and I am an INCREDIBLE cook... unfortunately, for the first few years of my new marriage, I used my skills in the kitchen to win over my new family. Most of what I knew how to cook was solid, heavy comfort foods from the Midwest.

On the bright side, I am NOT a prisoner of my past. I AM moving in a much healthier direction! :happy:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I ate too much and didn't get enough exercise.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    - Depression
    - Genes
    - Love of food (healthy more than junk food) and eating too much of it
    - Going to the fridge whenever I felt sad/happy/bored/angry/frustrated/etc.
    - Changing schools and being shunned in the 2nd grade (when I started gaining weight)
    - My mom passing down bad eating habits to me
    - Failing to follow proper nutrition after a crash diet/eating disorder and gaining twice the amount of weight I lost back
    - Being sedentary
    - Going to the bakery next door after dance class as a kid (no wonder I dropped out, and the teacher kept me in the back and wanted me to go down a level which killed my self esteem so I quit)
    - Keeping some sort of weird social armour.

So many reasons, some have disappeared, some haven't, but none of them will contribute to my being overweight anymore.
  • Juliep7575
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and was always stressed out. I never had the support I needed at home to lose the weight I gained after having 3 children. This is way too easy to play the blame game. I made myself this way. Now I need to fix it, and I am determined!!!
  • lcinkc
    Options
    I eat out at fast food too often, I like to bake, I like to eat and I hate exercise. I know none of that is a good excuse, but Im ready now to take control. I hate the way I look and feel. I need ideas to help me get going.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1) I worked at McDonalds for 6 years and I ate way too much of it - and drank way too many soft drinks.

2) I've never been active so that did not help AT ALL

3) I'm a fantastic baker and cook, and I love to eat my creations!

4) I didn't care about myself enough to want to be fit and healthy.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    i like to eat..
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because:

The drugs screwed my metabolism, (legal and..not).

I didn't 'see' any change.

I didn't want to be pushed around (notably by the skinny drugged/drunk ex).

I need X item for Y dish I am preparing *now* and must take the car 500m to the shop.

No one told me [I was getting fatter].
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Because the hole the food goes into is much larger than the one it comes out of.
  • caseleigh1211
    Options
    I'm drawn to the cabinet. Its how i kill time. Its crazy, i know...but its how its always been. I let it happen, i watched it happen, now I'm going to stop it from continuing. I want that bikini....
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    No excuses here but I was very depressed as a teenager (suicide attempts and all that, diagnosed with depression, generalised anxiety disorder and an eating disorder). I didn't care if I lived or died, so I just stuffed my face non stop. I conquered it though, for the most part. I still struggle a little these days, but it's only the weekends with the drinking and a bit of junky food that's hindering my progress. Need a plan of action to target it!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I used to eat lots of junk foods
    Not move much
    never exercise
    didn't care how much I ate
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I never saw the 'fat' me when I looked in the mirror. I never 'felt' fat but knew I was overweight.

That's me. I never think of myself as overweight till I look at pictures of myself. Can't deny it then. No wonder I hate having my picture taken :blushing:

I knew I was overweight but I never felt "fat". I know I'm still overweight but I'm moving in the right direction. It's a choice each day. Some days I just make better choices than others :laugh:
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I pigged out when pregnant, simples!

I didnt get back into exercise till 8 months after, by time 14 months had passed was pregnant again however, i managed to gain average amount.
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not eating properly and not getting enough exercise.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I really hate using the "f" word when it comes to describing someone's appearance, but for argument's sake... I think it's the same for everyone:

a lack of self-love.

EDIT: this of course excludes medical conditions or medications that cause weight gain.

Yep that's me. Low self-esteem (scratch that.... NO self-esteem) & anti-depressants put it on. But I've been yo-yo-ing between 143lbs & 155lbs for the past YEAR & I'm TIRED of it!