Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • kandire
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think that this is something that we all are curious about. This is very informative! Thanks so much for sharing! I for one, really appreciate it! I want to be sure that I do this the right way and can make this a lifestyle change for life! :smile:
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And thank you to your trainer for breaking this down Big Bird!!:flowerforyou:
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    bump
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information very helpful
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This help me a lot!! I burn 500-800 calories a session. I try to not got over my 1200 even if I worked out! I am tired and I had no idea what net calories meant. Thanks :)

How do you have over 900 posts on here and not know what net calories mean? I'm really not trying to be an *kitten*, but I can hardly look at this forum or anything on this website without seeing the term several times.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing!
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    perfect, thx for sharing :))) ur trainer sounds awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for that. A really good post, simply put but not going all techincal and calulations etc. I had prob not been eating excercise cals back but am now excercising a lot more and have noticed getting a bit tired and very hungry , HRM on the way and will aim to eat more back.
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I was correct to listen to that advice a while ago!
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH!!! Not only have I NOT been eating my exercise cals back, I have been eating WAY below my target goal, by about 800-1000 cals per day. I will try to up things and see if that helps! Thanks again!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So YES, eat them back.
    MFP was right all along......fancy that....
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    So well written, please pass along thanks to your trainer.
  • kjbuckw
    Options
    bump
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.
    No, just follow the MFP recommendations, and if your trainer is ignorant of how deficits are factored, please don't take bad advice.

MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • 1313Bfitt
    Options
    Good info MaximaLife.