Why is it when people ask u? "How did u lose weight?"

Options

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I did this to my apartment manager. She's dropped a good amount of weight and I had to ask, "How'd you do it?" and as I was asking I knew she wasn't going to tell me about this free and fabulous proceedure that sucks fat off in 10 seconds flat.

Nope, good ole watching what you and eat and excercise is what got it off of her. But even a levelheaded, hard working gal like myself wants to hear the latest fad, if only to know what's out there in the world that we haven't heard about yet.

So, until those fat sucking aliens come for a visit, we have to work at it. And until the rest of the world quits looking for the next quick fix, we're gonna have to field questions about what we're doing and the glazed over look when we tell them how hard we're working.

Great job and good luck with the questions :flowerforyou:
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When people ask I tell them portion control, calorie counting, healthier food choices, and exercise. Usually by the time I get to the healthier food choices, they lose interest. I actually had one person tell me there must be more to it. I tell the ones that stay interested about MFP. Some join some don't. My niece joined and she loves it. It really is about being tired of being out of shape and wanting to take control of your life. :wink:
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have also found that there are more people out there using it that I didn't realize and now we have been able to become a support system for each other as well...

Same here. The other day I was in our break room at work and I saw a co-worker user her smart phone to snap the UPC code on her yogurt. I said, "MFP?" She replied, "You know it!" It's like were a secret society.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I tell them, "Meh. You wouldn't be interested if I told you that I eat what I like and exercise whenever I want, but I just do it better."
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The question for me is "What diet are you on?" I haven't quite gotten to the "How did you lose...."

I've gotten to the point where I answer that question with "The hard way".

Many people are looking for that QUICK fix, and to waste my time trying to explain to them what MFP is...it just that.

Maybe 2 out of the 10 people I talk to are truly looking for real information, so I do explain to them, but to most like i said, a waste of time.

I totally agree. I spent years restricting certain food groups and taking pills, and that's how I ended up gaining back the 70 pounds I had lost plus an extra 20 as soon as I stopped. This is the hard way, but it's the lasting way. Now I tell people I don't restrict anything. I eat what I want, but I log every bite that goes in my mouth and stop when I get to my daily limit. People think that that is too much trouble, but really, I'm at the point now where it is second nature. I can eyeball measurements pretty well, and using the website or phone app is much easier than physically writing everything down. And with the bar code scanner, DONE. You really can't make it any easier.

I really don't bother trying to save people from their quick fixes. They'll be quick to lose and quick to gain. They need to experience the ups and downs and come to the realization on their own to truly embrace the "lifestyle change" and stop "dieting."
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    same. they want to hear some easy weight loss secret. I tell them about this site and they say oh whatever or sometimes don't even believe me. it is simple to lose weight, but it is hard to do it !!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Depends on who would ask lol Some people would be genuinely interested and others would be obnoxious about it so they got a different answer lol

When I lost weight the first time a few years ago after I had gained the freshman fifteen and then some, I told people it was all the coke binges and the nights partying on SOBE in 5in heels. :bigsmile: Some were smart enough to know I was kidding, while others, well, not so much lol
  • Patty0147
    Options
    LOL. Well, you do have to understand, we were those people at some point. Wanting a shortcut, or nothing at all. I joined, and never used this site. When I finally decided to woman up and do it right, its been the extra help I needed.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Overall, in the last 3 years, I've lost more than 40 pounds. People at work noticed and asked how. I said, I count calories and work out. Several of them snickered and responded with...oh you mean that old saying to eat right and get exercise really DOES work? My answer...Yes. Yes, it does.

There were a couple of people who said things like...well it seemed so easy! The weight just fell off you! I gave them a level look and told them...I worked HARD to lose these pounds!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Why is it when people ask you...."How did you lose so much weight?" And you tell them about MFP they lose interest right away? WTF? It never fails. Or they sign up just to humor you but never log in.

I think they want us to say that it was some MAGIC pill or SURGERY...I don't know.

Please share your story on what you encounter when people ask you...I'm interested to know.

I have to tell u that u look great! Great job! And yes, they aren't interested in putting in the work.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i know....When I tell people that I am losing weight the hard way (counting calories and daily exercise), they shut me out. Most common response, "Oh nooo, I can't do that." Its not easy but its what works....guess you're not really wanting a change?

I get the same thing! I also get "how do you stick to it? I can't give up carbs." What's hard is looking at yourself in the mirror and being unhappy. The easy part is putting in the work and seeing the results. It's not a quick fix, but so worth it!
  • Anastacia1119
    Options
    The question for me is "What diet are you on?" I haven't quite gotten to the "How did you lose...."

I've gotten to the point where I answer that question with "The hard way".

Many people are looking for that QUICK fix, and to waste my time trying to explain to them what MFP is...it just that.

Maybe 2 out of the 10 people I talk to are truly looking for real information, so I do explain to them, but to most like i said, a waste of time.

What is the barcode scanner and how does it work?
  • Anastacia1119
    Options
    Last post didn't work right...

"I totally agree. I spent years restricting certain food groups and taking pills, and that's how I ended up gaining back the 70 pounds I had lost plus an extra 20 as soon as I stopped. This is the hard way, but it's the lasting way. Now I tell people I don't restrict anything. I eat what I want, but I log every bite that goes in my mouth and stop when I get to my daily limit. People think that that is too much trouble, but really, I'm at the point now where it is second nature. I can eyeball measurements pretty well, and using the website or phone app is much easier than physically writing everything down. And with the bar code scanner, DONE. You really can't make it any easier. "

What's the bar code scanner and how does it work?
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just tell them that ( Rick James voice)" crack is one heck of a drug"..lol

^^^So funny, I have a smilar sense of humor and say something to the effect of "I've picked up a wicked cocaine problem"...laugh hysterically and then say, nah, just doing it with food logging and exercise. I always mention the MFP but like most of the posts, I think people would rather equate my weight loss to a drug problem than hard work....
  • bigtone34
    Options
    Everyone wants the easy way out. They don't want to work for it.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Here's a common scenario for me:

"Wow, you've lost weight!"

"Thanks"

"How'd you do it?"

[go through MFP and how it works, showing all different reports and discussing counting calories, etc.]

"That's just too much effort. You don't need to do that! I would never do something like that!"

What's annoying about this is THEY ASKED. Then they GOT AN ANSWER. And then they DISMISSED THE ANSWER because it's NOT WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR.

Meh, doesn't deter me. I clearly am doing the right thing and 'aint stopping for anybody's ignorance.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Because they really want to hear someone say "Oh I lost it by sitting on my couch eating junk all day, all I had to do was take this little pill once a day, and within a week I lost 40lbs!"
  • sarahq21
    sarahq21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I keep a food journal, they usually roll their eyes "Oh, that's just too much work! Nevermind then."

Um. Okay. It really isn't that hard to log on for five minutes and track what you've put in your mouth. People are afraid of accountability, they really don't want to lose weight and are half-assing their attempts and feigning interest.

They expect a magical solution to their problem, and there really isn't. Sorry to disappoint you.

Completely agree with this! It's not that it is too hard or they don't have enough time... No one wants to be accountable and to put in the hard yards.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Last post didn't work right...

"I totally agree. I spent years restricting certain food groups and taking pills, and that's how I ended up gaining back the 70 pounds I had lost plus an extra 20 as soon as I stopped. This is the hard way, but it's the lasting way. Now I tell people I don't restrict anything. I eat what I want, but I log every bite that goes in my mouth and stop when I get to my daily limit. People think that that is too much trouble, but really, I'm at the point now where it is second nature. I can eyeball measurements pretty well, and using the website or phone app is much easier than physically writing everything down. And with the bar code scanner, DONE. You really can't make it any easier. "

What's the bar code scanner and how does it work?

If you have a smartphone and install the MFP app, you can add your foods by scanning the barcode with your camera. When you go to "Add to diary", there is a barcode button you can click. It will turn your camera on...you just make sure the barcode on the food you're eating shows in the little box and it uploads all the nutritional value for you! It is totally awesome and very quick to add items. :)
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I told my best friend, and although he never logged in, he still lost weight naturally and healthily so I guess in his case his way worked too!