Why is it when people ask u? "How did u lose weight?"

Options

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I stopped telling people.
    I just say - EAT LESS/MOVE MORE!

Nobody is really serious, but they're trolling for the quick fix.
    If you want to generate interest, tell them you started drinking a juice extracted from the root of the [MAKE UP A NAME] tree.

And it comes in pill form!
    Watch their face light up:bigsmile:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I told my dr. and she tells everyone about it now! Other people just accept it... I have not had negative feedback I guess.... I think people are use to it by now.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I tell them I drank lady pee and starved myself :laugh:
    Then I tell them the truth.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Becasue people dont want to believe that you can lose weight by watching what you eat and exercise. They think that there has to be a fast cure or strict diet plan.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why this surprises you. I used to manage a Domino's Pizza. We'd put out coupons in apartment complexes and around neighborhoods and considered a 2% response rate good and 4% was unheard of. If you can only expect 1 out of 50 people to buy a pizza, why would you expect a huge response to telling people about logging their food and exercising. I imagine there are a whole lot more people who like pizza than there are who like exercise.
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    I get two sides.

The, "Really there's a site for that?! And I can just search food and exercises for that? Pretty awesome, I might join."

Than I have the "Oh....that's too much to do. If I eat junk food or bad I just run for longer or do extra workouts."

Smh. OOOOOHHHK than man.
    I've had two friends join and I don't even see them using it. And let me tell you, one of them could REALLY benefit from it....
  • jereibold
    jereibold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tell them about MFP and that I sex-ercise alot! :bigsmile:
  • Astrowife68
    Options
    Well, I told the few I work with, because I do log every meal. We are a laid back type office in the country, and we have a full kitchen. So when we eat, we go to the kitchen and cook out lunches. But the others I work with all are pretty fit and really don't need to lose any, but they have been supportive of me.
    Then I told my sister about a week after I started on here, and she pulled out her phone, and had me help her find the app and she signed up right then and there. So we are on this journey together.
    And then I told one of my cousins, and she said Oh Yeah, I have been on here since Jan 2011. But she doesn't seem to long on very oftern.

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I tell them about what I do and then I mention MFP and the food logging. The conversation usually stops -- I guess the foold logging sounds like too much work (even though it really isn't, but that is my opinion).

Its because people are LAZY! Losing weight is Hard work. No one wants to put the effort in. They complain about being over weight and do nothing about it. There loss :) ( <- well actually its there gain haha)
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have no problem telling people what I've done and how I've been 150lbs since July 2010. I say this isn't for everyone but it helps to know just what you are putting in your mouth. I have friends that have used it and love it, one of my co-workers went from 198 to 177 right now and absolutely loves mfp. He makes me look like a slacker. :) I tell people you have to find what works for you, I have friends who swear by weight watchers, it doesn't matter what you use or don't use for that matter, making the decision to change your life and get healhier just makes sense. I've lost all motivation as of late due to my husband being sick with him dying in the future. I am doing my best to maintain and will try to focus on losing more once I'm through this difficult time. Good luck to all of you.
  • key1238
    key1238 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP was the secret to weight loss. This is the easiest calorie tracker I have ever used. 14 lbs down depending on what scale you believe. Nothing is easier than counting calories by typing apple, banana and scanning your packaged products into a program that ads everything up for you. .
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Before tracking my calories, I was clueless about the right way to lose weight. Common sense told me to lay off the chips and start exercising, but I still investigated all the different diets out there to see if there really was a faster way to do it. Nope!
    I did the master cleanse and I'm really ashamed of it. I wish someone would have warned me about Fad diets. Not only I gained back the 7 lbs I lost in 7 days (water weight), but I destroyed my immune system and ended up at the hospital after throwing up for 3 days. I guess I needed a reality check.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I keep a food journal, they usually roll their eyes "Oh, that's just too much work! Nevermind then."

Um. Okay. It really isn't that hard to log on for five minutes and track what you've put in your mouth. People are afraid of accountability, they really don't want to lose weight and are half-assing their attempts and feigning interest.

They expect a magical solution to their problem, and there really isn't. Sorry to disappoint you.

^^^THIS^^^
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Oooh another that pisses me off is "Oh I don't have time for all of that!" ('That' being keeping track of my calories, portions, and exercising)

B!tch please, we all get 24 hours in a day, and if I can find the time to do it, you sure as hell can too!!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    People are looking for a magic pill. Eat less, exercise more is ridiculous.

Ha ha! Love it!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    What frustrates the hell out of me is, when people are constantly asking me for advice about losing weight and staying healthy like I'm suddenly their personal trainer and nutritionist because I lost weight and got in shape, but they never actually take any of the advice or information I give them into action. It's like... if you're not going to take any of my suggestions or do anything I'm telling you that works, why the hell do you keep asking me about it and keep complaining about your freaking weight? It gets old, really fast. I won't name any names, but I do happen to talk to people on a weekly basis who tend to do this to me a lot. Sometimes I just want to tell them to leave me alone about it until they're ready to actually change, but it's hard to be so blunt with them...

Most people don't SEE the hard work people do to get healthy and fit the right way, so I think that is why so many people are quick to be interested and then cut off the conversation when they don't hear that magical answer they want. I didn't drop the weight over night, just like I didn't put it on over night... Nothing in life worth having is easy to get.
  • DinoSaurous
    DinoSaurous Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell any about MFP last year till I had lost 30lb. When I did tell them they all thought it was magic website as I had lost so much weight and really quite quickly. A few of them joined but when they saw what was invovled (actually watching what you eat and heaven forbid... EXERCISE!) stopped. I even had one person ask me to log it all for them - every day!!!!

Unless somebody is active already it really is hard to change somebody's lifestyle. They really have got to want it - badly. I know and learnt the hard way. I couldn't have done any of this without MFP. Saying that, I can understand that MFP is not for everyone and many people lose weight just fine without it.
  • Fatloosa
    Options
    Why is it when people ask you...."How did you lose so much weight?" And you tell them about MFP they lose interest right away? WTF? It never fails. Or they sign up just to humor you but never log in.

I think they want us to say that it was some MAGIC pill or SURGERY...I don't know.

Please share your story on what you encounter when people ask you...I'm interested to know.

I think your right everyone is looking for that magic pill.
    I looked for too long and I've now got to work even harder to get back to health.
    We have all learnt that that magic pill doen't exsist.
    Shame. But if it did we would consantly pig out take a pil,l pig out......... and so on, not good for us.
    This way we are all on a journey together and hopefully we will all learn. this includes myself.
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    Why is it when people ask you...."How did you lose so much weight?" And you tell them about MFP they lose interest right away? WTF? It never fails. Or they sign up just to humor you but never log in.

I think they want us to say that it was some MAGIC pill or SURGERY...I don't know.

Please share your story on what you encounter when people ask you...I'm interested to know.

I have to tell u that u look great! Great job! And yes, they aren't interested in putting in the work.
    Thank you. It is good to see that I am not alone in getting these reactions.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't told anyone (well, my hubby knows) I'm using this site. I've had a few co-workers ask what I'm doing and I just say, "protion control and exercise" and really that is correct. :smile: I think after I get more weight off I'll share the MFP secret, but I really don't want to be any of my co-workers friends on here since I'm on this site while at work. :laugh:

This is the best answer:bigsmile: I have hit maintenance and still do not share though because I find that most people that ask are just being nosy and are not ready to do what I did to get to this point. I have shared with a few and they logged for awhile and then stopped. Since then they have gained the weight back and then some:ohwell: MFP is my best kept secret:tongue: