Does black caffeinated coffee count as daily water

Options
Has anyone asked this question of their doctor or a nutritionist?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    When I saw a nutritionist she mentioned coffee as being a separate beverage, although black coffee has no sugar and hardly any calories (if any at all) so adding it in addition to your daily water shouldn't be a big deal. But, no, it won't substitute as water.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yep. :)
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It does count as water intake yes according to the scientists!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Typically, anything with caffeine in it is likely to dehydrate you, and to drink equal amounts of water. My vote is on no, it's not part of your daily water.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    No because it is a diuretic.

Wrong. Where do you get this information? It does not make you pee any more so than any other liquid.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor that any drink such as coffee, tea and/or sodas count as water.

Your doctor told you soda counts as water? Really?
  • miss_magzy
    miss_magzy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    technically for every cup of coffee you have, you should be drinking an extra cup of water bc the coffee dehydrates you .
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No. Water is water. If it is black and has caffeine in it, then it is coffee.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

Why the 8 glasses of water a day is a MYTH:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • Onesnap
    Options
    No. Water is water. If it is black and has caffeine in it, then it is coffee.

This is wrong. Science is science. Read the article I posted.

I really wish people on this site would stop posting things that are scientifically wrong.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've posted this dozens and dozens of times on MFP and I'm posting it again here for you all. Read, learn, and be amazed.

I like this article because it gave me the answer I wanted!
  • Onesnap
    Options

GLAD to help. Love science!!!!!!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    technically for every cup of coffee you have, you should be drinking an extra cup of water bc the coffee dehydrates you .

NOPE
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ok, I will share this one more time...

Coffee... Log it as Coffee
    Tea .... Log it as Tea
    Soda / Pop .... Log it as Soda / Pop
    Apple Juice .... Log it as Apple Juice
    Milk..... Log it as Milk
    Water.... Hello log THAT as Water

Its really not that difficult to remember that. Why must you try and give yourself "excuses". Water is Water is Water.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo clinic web site it only has a diuretic effect if consumed in large quantities ie; 5-7 cups daily.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    No because it is a diuretic.

Wrong. Where do you get this information? It does not make you pee any more so than any other liquid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee#Laxative.2Fdiuretic
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    Old school answer is Coffee is a diuretic and therefore can not replace water.......new school theory which your Doc apparently subscribes to, is that all fluids are effectively diuretics and coffee in small amounts (5 or less cups a day) can be counted against your daily fluid intake......My own personal opinion is that anything not as pure as water does not count against my fluid intake, but does get counted in my calroie intake.....if you google "is coffe a diuretic?" you will get professional arguements on both sides of the issue. It seems, much like everything else in the wolrd, no one can agree.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

So you were only looking for what you wanted to hear not what was really the best thing for you?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Caffeine dehydrates you by acting as a diuretic but that's only if you consume LARGE quantities of it. By large, I mean 5-7 cups of coffee, 10 cokes (which you shouldn't be drinking anyway), 4-5 energy drinks... etc..

Needless to say, a cup or two of straight black coffee won't cause you to be dehydrated. Yes.. you can count it as water.