Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

Or coffee with the first meal.
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wish I could wash all my meals away! wooo! :laugh:
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    your stomach does not simply empty because you have more water in there, biology doesnt work that way. If anything, when you stomach fills too much, it will cause your GI tract to release what its already holding, causing you to go to the bathroom, to make room for incoming food, but your stomach does not simply empty into your intestines. The stomach contents, in reality, only enter the intestines in small batches that the intestines can actually handle.
  • tanna13
    Options
    It's true! I had bypass surgery 3yrs ago and I am not suppouse to drink anything 30min before, during or after I eat. Because it does make your food go through at a faster rate. Therefore making you hungery sooner that later
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?

Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776

Thanks for posting that. ^^^^^^^^^

I can't eat a meal without drinking anything. The OP doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    they walk among us
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Time for a new doctor.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I wish this were true. Then I could eat as much food as I want, and never gain weight because the calories are washed away by water.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    By your nutritionists information, washing my meals away straight away after eating them means I don't gain any weight............................................................right?

I mean, I would starve to death in this case.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Ummm.....I'm pretty sure the info your nutritionist gave you was for people who have had gastric surgery. They can't drink during meals because they'll get too full to eat .
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I got some Ocean front property in Arizona, from my front porch you can see the Sea. If you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gates in for free :wink:

-George Strait
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's true! I had bypass surgery 3yrs ago and I am not suppouse to drink anything 30min before, during or after I eat. Because it does make your food go through at a faster rate. Therefore making you hungery sooner that later

My understanding is that gastric bypass surgery alters your GI tract pretty radically--so how your body works after surgery is not necessarily how other people's unaltered bodies work. (I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just being realistic.) Also, gastric bypass surgeries typically RADICALLY reduce stomach size, so filling that tiny (although often re-stretched) pocket with water could inhibit your ability to eat enough nutrients. Bottom line, you can't always generalize from special cases (e.g. gastric bypass patients) to the population.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Here I thought it was my poor choice of foods and lifestyle making me fat when all along it's been the water I drink with my meals. So my water is making me fat?? Is nothing sacred anymore?! :noway: :noway:
  • katiejneely
    Options
    Ummm, I get really thirsty when I eat, and my body tells me to drink something, so I do.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Also, patients who have had gastric bypass surgery have to be careful drinking while eating because a lot of foods (beans, grains) get bigger in water.....and those who have had their stomach size surgically reduced don't have room for the expansion.

I think the nutritionist didn't give the OP the full story....but that isn't her fault.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't exactly buy that. I have been told not to drink a LOT of water during a meal, as it can deplete the nutrients in your food before your body has time to absorb them, but even then we're talking like a really large quantity of water.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I have seen a registered dietician who has worked in hospitals and she has never tried to tell me anything like that. She actually put in my meal plan to have a glass of water during each meal.

It still can't be true. If water were capable of washing nutrients away, the water flushing them out still has to go through the digestive tract where the intestines pull anything useful out and puts in into the bloodstream. From there, the blood filters through the liver and kidneys, removing impurities - so by the time the 'water' gets to that point, the body has already pulled everything useful from the intestines and into the bloodstream where they are delivered where they are needed. There is no 'washing away'.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    might I ask your nutritionists background and qualifications?

^
    This. LMAO

I actually thought I heard something like this somewhere but the amount of water you'd have to drink is so excessive that's it's highly unlikely anybody would ever run into this.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    what's the date today? is it april already?
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My (former) chiropractor told me the same thing that the OP's nutritionist did. It didn't bother me, as I'm the only person I know who prefers not to drink with her meals. (It makes me nauseous.) It did bother my husband (saw same chiropractor), though. (He felt like he was choking.)
    I don't worry about whether my chiropractor was right or not, though. If he had told me to drink water with every meal, I would have found it difficult to do and would have eventually given up. My husband gave up NOT drinking during meals. I think sometimes we have to determine for ourselves what is best for us. Researchers can't tell us everything about ourselves. No, I don't have any research to back up that last statement.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Um. I think my nutritionist would beat up your nutritionist.