Drinking with Meals (Don’t do it.) From my Nutritionist

Options
123457»

Replies

• Loseweight1980
    Options
    Your stomach passes food out into the small intestine when it reaches a certain level of fullness. So, if you are trying to eat a little less, water is great. Also, if you are trying to stay hydrated as we all should, drinking water with food actually slows down the processing of the water and allows your body to absorb it and any water soluble vitamins better. Your nutritionist may have misinterpreted something, or may not have explained something properly.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    to HTIMPAIRED, you are correct, after gastric bypass, most people have a hard time actually absorbing enough nutrients and vitamins for their body, so drinking water for them is indeed taking the place of food. For someone with a natural digestive system, not an issue.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

Or coffee with the first meal.

shoot. coffee is only for the first meal?

I don't know why we can't have beer or wine with the breakfast!

Because whiskey is for breakfast. You need the empty calories to get your metabolism started. If you drink beer or wine early in the morning the leptides in your spleen will deactivate causing total metabolic failure.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is why I only drink beer or wine with meals.

Or coffee with the first meal.

shoot. coffee is only for the first meal?

I don't know why we can't have beer or wine with the breakfast!

Hear, hear! It's always cocktail time somewhere in the world.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    PSA: Nutritionists =/= Dietitians

At least in the US, nutritionists are not subject to any type of licensing or professional regulation. Just because someone bills themselves as a nutritionist doesn't mean that they actually know what they are talking about. Case in point.

Dietitians tend to be either clinical researchers, or therapists. They are licensed and over seen by a professional organization.

If you are looking for help, go to folks who know what they are talking about, and stop giving money to quacks.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

At least in the US, nutritionists are not subject to any type of licensing or professional regulation. Just because someone bills themselves as a nutritionist doesn't mean that they actually know what they are talking about. Case in point.

Dietitians tend to be either clinical researchers, or therapists. They are licensed and over seen by a professional organization.

If you are looking for help, go to folks who know what they are talking about, and stop giving money to quacks.

alrighty then...I am now a nutritionist.....

Please drink water whenever you want! Even during meals. I am a nutirtionist and I say its A O K !!
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options

alrighty then...I am now a nutritionist.....

Please drink water whenever you want! Even during meals. I am a nutirtionist and I say its A O K !!

^ Word.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't read EVERY comment but this very well may be true for you because you had the surgery. I don't believe it's true for everyone. You need the small space in your stomach for actual food. Once that is digested then you can fill with the liquid. You probably don't have issues with not drinking during a meal anymore since you have to make sure you eat very small bites and chew it extremely well before swallowing. Most of us don't even think about doing that and prefer to have a drink to wash it down. So when your Nutritionist told you this it was for YOUR benefit. Not everyones. But I'm sure it's helpful to those who have had the bypass surgery.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! I wish more people realised this. Nutritionist (and this is not to say none of them know their stuff) is not a legally protected term, people. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Good nutritionists will get certain certifications though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes. We have all heard fill up on water, but how and when you do it is just as important.
    "Drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can make you feel full sooner."

BUT...Do not drink during meals or an hour afterwards… EVER.
    It will wash your small meals right through your stomach and leave you feeling hungry.
    However, drinking a cup of cool water 15 to 20 minutes before your meal can be a good thing. It can make you feel full sooner after you start to eat.

washes meals through the stomach????!!!! That's just funny!!

My view: your stomach acid has a specific pH for breaking down food in the stomach. Downing a big old glass of water (or liquid at a meal) can dilute that stomach acid and cause some digestive issues (I can't drink water on an empty stomach).

I drink nothing before, during, or after other than maybe sipping some red wine. What makes you full is a "signal" from your adipose tissue (fat tissue) to your brain. I belive it is called Leptin. You know what makes that signal happen. EATING FAT!! Carbohydrates do not create that signal so your brain never receives it - this is why carbs keep you hungry. And sugar travels the same brain pathways as opiate drugs and grains contain exorphins which are a morphine-like compound that also create "addiction". This is why you have to eat carbs every couple of hours - to get your "fix".

Um, no. Insulin also acts as an appetite suppressor. Also, leptin is made by the adipose cells when the stomach sends out the signal that it's full, has nothing to do with the composition of the food you eat.

It's like a gas tank in your car, when the tank gets full, the gas pump gets a signal from it and clicks off, when your stomach gets full, it sends a signal and the leptin tells your brain to stop eating.
  • tapiagonzalez
    tapiagonzalez Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    All I have to say to the OP is

facepalm.gif

HELLA LIKE!!!!! :laugh:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There is a whole philosophy surrounding not drinking with your meals. Have heard this before.

For me, I prefer to drink with my meals.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm thinking why is it bad to slow down the digestion process anyway? We will feel full for longer. OP is a crock of poop but when you think about it, if it is true, who cares?
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have heard this too, but this was from a friend who was seeing a nutritionist about what and how she should eat after her gastric bypass surgery.

Doesn't seem to affect me that way. I fill up when I drink with meals, despite the advice that it would do otherwise.
  • jsuemiranda
    jsuemiranda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's true! I had bypass surgery 3yrs ago and I am not suppouse to drink anything 30min before, during or after I eat. Because it does make your food go through at a faster rate. Therefore making you hungery sooner that later

When you have a gastric bypass, you lose the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach making your stomach pouch more like a funnel. So, for gastric bypass patients this is true. But, the pylorus regulates the amount of food that gets released into the intestines, so drinking doesn't matter for the general population.
  • BReit1
    BReit1 Posts: 28
    Options
    If water causes our small meals to flush right through us...than this would be the best weight loss tip, wouldn't it? It would make sense to me that if water causes us to lose our small meals so quickly, we should just eat small meals, drink tons of water with it, and viola, weight loss!!! Sorry, I just don't buy it.
  • jadimasi79
    jadimasi79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please remember to be called a nutritionist you only need to write it next to your name that there is no testing, etc. If you want please speak to a dietitian who had to go to school and an internship.