Restaurants to Avoid!

Options
Well I'm officially going to start a 'restaurants to avoid' list. #1 on the list right now is Champps Americana.... I've eaten there several times in the past and honestly enjoyed my experience EVERY time. Today, to pre-plan my attack (having lunch there with a friend) I found out that they have almost nothing under 1,000 calories... They have 'lite' portions of 3 different meals, they are almost 700 calories each too. Even their kids' menu will get you darn close. WTH???? I just sent them an customer comment e-mail suggesting that it is something they should work very hard on. What are they doing to get those types of calories in these meals???

Are there any restaurants that you avoid?

Replies

• jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell
    Burger King
    (the two nastiest fast food places)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Red Robin (Yum...love it but its a calorie/fat killer)
    Arby's
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, never really eat there but I remember reading something about only a couple of options under 1,000 cals there too. I used to love Panera, never would've thought though that a simple turkey sandwich would get my close to 1,000 cals... until I started logging on here, to say the least I'll never eat there again. xD I here a lot of sammy shops are like that, you would expect it to be healthier but it's even worse.

Panera can be bad but there are a lot of reasonable and very tasty options as well. Plus, you can get half portions of anything, salads, soups (cup), sandwiches, and that brings down the calories a ton.

Also Red Robin, it has an online menu to specifically help you customize and tailor your sandwich to your nutritional content. It works pretty well and you can get a decent hamburger for a decent amount of calories. Of course that excludes the limitless fries. :embarassed:
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I know - I used to love the Sierra Turkey from Panera. I mean it's just a turkey sandwich, right? NOPE as much fat and calories as TWO Big Macs
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    5 Guys Burgers and Fries....I haven't eaten there in almost a year but I can eat like a thousand pound man if left to my own devices but that place will always hold a special fat place in my heart :brokenheart:
  • sabre21d
    Options
    Heart Attack Grill
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    This is sad: Man suffers heart attack while eating at Heart Attack Grill

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-eating-heart-attack-185717972.html?fb_action_ids=337265826318801,2912051838249,2710955856659,336957279682989,10100679568486249&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQCUk3mwZGgioKSamsKh4yecfeMrs7a-eveXO-gW-Hj9O-jh7-U2DYCmKdlBGsOP8GvXMO5yBvW-1Gne3m2fNXVgloS5BpCKGlVeQsqiSkYSyZwWxVNhdmzOwACzsR-eI3IqL7ZbSYwpVm_aVap_72HjNhrPFYJA0hOfhpbTZdaXLtrJ3vR9LldTLTcOEberoCM#_=_

The menu includes "Single", "Double", "Triple", and "Quadruple Bypass" hamburgers,[1] ranging from 8 to 32 ounces (230 to 910 g) of beef (up to about 8,000 calories)

The Quadruple Bypass Burger with 8,000 calories (33 MJ) has been identified as one of the "world's worst junk foods".[11] It consists of four half-pound beef patties, eight slices of American cheese, a whole tomato and half an onion served in a bun coated with lard.

Normal meals at the Heart Attack Grill easily exceed 8,000 calories.
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Friendly's...I always get the kids meal so it's not as large of a meal, but then it comes with a free ice cream which I of course just HAVE to get ) : haha.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Also Red Robin, it has an online menu to specifically help you customize and tailor your sandwich to your nutritional content. It works pretty well and you can get a decent hamburger for a decent amount of calories. Of course that excludes the limitless fries. :embarassed:
    I LOVE this about Red Robin's site. You can add or delete any ingredient in your dish to completely customize your order, and it will give you the calories and nutritional info for only what you consumed, rather than trying to figure it out when you specialize your order. And, as most restaurants will do these days (even the fast food ones), you can get their burgers bunless, which comes with lettuce on the top and bottom of your burger instead of the bun. Cuts WAY back on calories.
  • vilardip1
    Options
    Taco Bell
    Burger King

my two favorites...we have them right next to each other by me...ill go to taco bell first for my meal, then get onion rings at bk for the rider home :-)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    PF Chang's. They are lying jerkfaces: they say their rice bowl lunch is two portions, so they can pretend the calorie count is reasonable. Also, their sodium is atrocious.

Applebees. Sodium levels are outrageous, calorie counts are offensively high. The "lime chicken under 500 calories" meal has 4900+ mgs of sodium. That's almost 5 GRAMS of sodium in a meal. Gross.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Places that serve bad food and/or have bad service. Places that are overpriced but the quality of the food doesn't line up with the prices. And whenever possible, chain restaurants.

If you're gonna go out to eat, make it worthwhile. Otherwise make your own food.
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Johnny Carinos sodium is out the map and so is the calories, salads there are 700+ calories that is ridiculous.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I prefer to not eat at restaurants with a sh!tty beer list.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I prefer to not eat at restaurants with a sh!tty beer list.

Yes, this too. It just seems odd when a place has a well thought out menu, nice wine list, and then just Bud, Miller Coors, and Heineken for beer choices.
  • erikastarryiz
    erikastarryiz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    2 words: Golden Corral. They do have a salad bar, but for me it is too hard to stick to the salad bar when there's potatoes and gravy, fried chicken, mac & cheese all staring me down. Not to mention the dessert bar, which sings like a siren. It's just better to avoid the place all together.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Places that serve bad food and/or have bad service. Places that are overpriced but the quality of the food doesn't line up with the prices. And whenever possible, chain restaurants.

If you're gonna go out to eat, make it worthwhile. Otherwise make your own food.

^^^THIS!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I avoid any restaurant that forces me to get the high calorie items, and forces me to eat the whole thing.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell
    Burger King

^ This.....although, I do admit that I crave a Whopper once every 5-6 years. And I do enjoy BK's Mocha Iced Coffee once every 3-4 months.