weight loss and toning at the same time

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I wish I had taken starting measurements of myself. I do heavy lifting with a trainer 3 times a week (just benched 105 the other day, woot!). He also has me combine it with HIIT for a few minutes (half mile or so) to warm up, then an uphill walk to cool down. I have only lost 9 pounds in 9 months. I am getting really discouraged with the lack of weight loss, because unlike Staci in that article (who looks incredible!), I still have a lot of body fat to lose at 169 pounds and only 5 feet 4.5 inches.

For those of you who lift heavy, how much weight have you lost and in how long?

Measure now! :)
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i do hot yoga and power yoga.. it really helped me tone my arms and my legs, and build muscles.. my problem is my tummy too.. but unfortunately it didn't help with that.. maybe it's just me..
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift heavy weights!

this.

by doing cardio and dieting alone you risk losing some of the lean muscle you already have. Lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein will help ensure that you retain most of your lean muscle as you lose the fat. This means that at your goal weight you will have a lower BF% and be more fit and stronger then if you did cardio and diet only.

Doing both helps you avoid being the dreaded skinny fat (thin with a high body fat %)

Plus as your body builds more lean muscle it will metabolize more fat
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    bump
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    YES!!!!!! Lift heavy things. Get adequate protein and fat. WIN!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am currently 160lbs and 5'6". I am looking to loose around 30 pounds as I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips. Should I be doing something other than my cardio and calorie counting to help me fix these problem areas?

Everyone suggesting to lift heavy..100% agree! I started lifting heavy a long time ago and actually shrank! I lost inches first and then some weight came off. So as mentioned already (and will be mentioned many times) LIFT HEAVY! People will ask for advice and not use it but trust those who have tried it! Alot of the same comments are repeated on here but people enjoy sharing their thoughts and things that have worked for them.

So what exactly do you guys mean by HEAVY lifting? How heavy are you talking about?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

So what exactly do you guys mean by HEAVY lifting? How heavy are you talking about?
    as heavy as you can lift for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Options
    I am currently 160lbs and 5'6". I am looking to loose around 30 pounds as I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips. Should I be doing something other than my cardio and calorie counting to help me fix these problem areas?

Everyone suggesting to lift heavy..100% agree! I started lifting heavy a long time ago and actually shrank! I lost inches first and then some weight came off. So as mentioned already (and will be mentioned many times) LIFT HEAVY! People will ask for advice and not use it but trust those who have tried it! Alot of the same comments are repeated on here but people enjoy sharing their thoughts and things that have worked for them.

Heavy as you can for 6-8 reps. Should struggle a little by that last one. Heavy will be a different number for everyone
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am no Staci yet but I love looking stronger from doing 100 push ups a day that don't go down very far ( and don't take long).My arms have shape, look strong. My stomach is flatter...and I know that if I go back to 120 I will get two lines on my stomach . I went from walking to running and my legs are getting a muscle line down the side. I didn't see it but my daughter pointed it out. I am not there yet but these small things helped. Without muscles we look like a smaller shapeless version, the flaws are still there.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What weight machines at the gym would you recommend?? I wanna get toned :)

Stay away from machines and go for free weights :).
    Options
    What weight machines at the gym would you recommend?? I wanna get toned :)

Stay away from machines and go for free weights :).

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Yes! Learn to love the free weight area :D
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    have you heard about staci??

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she's 131 lbs. on the right she's 142, 11lbs heavier.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg

Wow! Thank you, Thank you!!! Thanks for this! :smile:
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • FitAtFifteen
    Options
    People always say "lift heavier weights" well, can you tell someone what to do if they can't access a gym? /annoyed.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    For those of you who lift heavy, how much weight have you lost and in how long?
    [/quote]

i need to lose at least another 20 lbs. working out with a trainer three times a week and have only lost about 2 lbs in 7 wks but have lost several inches. i try not to get discouraged because i am much stronger, but some days it gets to me!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    People always say "lift heavier weights" well, can you tell someone what to do if they can't access a gym? /annoyed.
    i bought a weight bench and barbell/dumbell set and put it in my garage.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I squat also and my butt is ok. I am not liking it as much and it looks like it has fallen a bit :( What squats do you do? I do a variety but am just curious if I am missing something. The sad thing is I used to squat 95-100 on the Smith machine and can't do it anymore (maybe because I was 25 at the time ha!) My knees also are hurting more even though I make sure my knee is not over my foot.

The Smith Machine doesn't let your stabilizer muscles kick it to help balance, and it traps you in what may be an unnatural range of motion. Lou Schuler discusses this in New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women. The machines just don't give you the same bang for your buck, and in some cases, can be just plain dangerous.

I started out with dumbbells held down at my sides, but quickly progressed to an olympic bar on my shoulders. I watched form over and over on youtube to get it right. The real trick is to go deep. I have been managing thighs parallel to the floor. Then I asked earlier on another thread "how deep is deep enough?" and the answer, for the best booty, is ATG (*kitten* to grass!). I plan to drop back the weight and go for a deeper squat. I don't know if I can do it, but 2 months ago, I didn't know I could do any of this!

I mostly use weights or an ezbar. There was a time when I always used the olypic bar and was squatiing off of a stepper but there is no room in the gym I go to now plus they got rid of alot of things I used :( I go pretty deep and watch my posture but my back still hurts. I will have to watch youtube to see if I am doing things properly. Thank you for the advice!! I want to get back to the tough b*tch I used to be haha :)

You need to watch this video! It completely transformed my squat and I tell everyone about it now. Maybe try some good mornings too to build up your back?

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You won't get buff, just awesome ;-)

In my first three weeks of lifting three days and conditioning twice weekly I gained 10 lbs and almost cried until I realized how many inches I'd lost. Dropped a clothing size not long after that too and soon the weight fell off, what I'd gained initially and more.