Eating enough to lose weight??...sent by a bootcamp instruct

Options
My boot camp instructor sent this to me. I find it very interesting and wanted to share. I mean he is a fitness expert!

(Body Fat Burn Registration Link at the bottom…but read on!)

Over eating causes weight gain…duh.

But, did you know that under-eating is almost as bad as over eating?

Doesn’t seem to make sense, but its true…and the fact is that most people are guilty of under eating, most of the time.

Here’s the deal:

Your body is an amazing machine built for enormous stresses.

And, when put to the test it will revert back to one basic function: to survive at all costs.

When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.

So what’s the solution if you can’t starve yourself skinny?

EAT! :o)

We need a certain amount of calories every day just to survive. That’s your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

Your RMR is the amount of calories that you burn while just sitting there. A high RMR is a good thing…because it means less body fat.

The more muscle you have (muscle burns calories, fat does not) the higher your RMR.

The less muscle you have the lower your RMR (and the more body fat you’ll likely have).

That’s why some cardio is good, but strength training/resistance training like we do in boot camp is key when it comes to looking awesome (naked).

So, give your body the right nutrients in the right portions (40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs and 20% fats), eat at least 5 times per day and...

Your body will respond in amazing ways.

In fact all our campers decide to start eating this way are blown away at how fast the weight drops off…as in 4 to 5 pounds per week fast.

Its not rocket science or magic…just a neat little bit of physiology that YOU control :o)

So, exactly how many calories do YOU need to eat every day to maintain a lean sexy figure?

Grab your calculator and use the formula below:

For Women: 665 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

Take the number from above and multiply it by the level of exercise listed below:

(i.e. If you’re doing boot camp 4+ days per week you fall into the Moderately Active to Very Active category - multiply by 1.55)

1.2 (Sedentary, Little or No Exercise)

1.375 (Lightly Active, Light Exercise 1 to 3 days per week)

1.55 (Moderately Active, Moderate exercise 3 to 5 days per week)

1.7 (Very Active, Hard exercise 6 to 7 days per week)

1.9 (Extremely Active, Hard daily exercise and/or physical job)

And viola! There ya have it!

Now you have your plan to eat to stay lean!

Replies

• GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!! Mine was 3019 calories I eat about 1300-1700 cal daily so am I under eating??
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    That's 2263 calories for me. I think I would gain weight with that amount.
  • sheystar
    Options
    calculated mine and i got 2,460. isn't that a little high? :/
  • osorio1
    Options
    Bump
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Mine came out at 1687... I'm sure I'd gain on that?! Normally I'm 900-1000 per day.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Is there usually a gain before the loss begins if you haven't been eating this way previously? I just want to be prepared.

According to the formula, my number was 2318. On MFP, my daily caloric intake is 1310 before exercise. I burn around 600-700 calories 5 days per week, Around 400-500 on the weekends. I weigh 156 and want to weigh 128, so I used the numbers for my goal, rather than my current weight.

I'm a bit worried about eating more, but I'm pretty stalled on my weight loss at the moment and am willing to try it.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Mamasutra
    Options
    I got 2320 and I know for a fact that if I ate that many calories, I would be obese in no time. The concept makes total sense; we definately need to eat often to maintain blood sugar, eat enough calories so that our bodies do not frantically store fat, and eat healthy foods, but, I think there may be an error in this formula.
  • kdelost630
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this. I've heard eating more helps, but my number seemed really high.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    'all campers' are dropping 4-5 pounds a week with above formula? that sends a red flag to me for some reason.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! But it seems kind of counter-intuitive. Why are anorexic people so thin, then? It just basically comes down to calories in, calories out.
  • mwhitefield
    mwhitefield Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It says on the equations "what you need to eat to MAINTAIN".
    If you take into account that you naturally burn 1500 (for sake of example) then you should eat just as much (at least that's the assumption that I'm under) in order to maintain. Not only are these numbers insanely high, it doesn't make much sense.
  • supersport18
    Options
    Mine was 2,200 and I usually eat 1500 per day. Yet when I try to eat more I just gain weight... help?
  • cjones0992
    cjones0992 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    After calculating mine....the number i got was my maintenance calories. So if you want to lose weight, take that number and subtract 500-1000 for a calorie deficit. Interesting formula I haven't seen before, I usually go by harris-benedict which comes out pretty close to find MAINTENANCE.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nukehiker
    Options
    this is the same formula that is used with the insanity work out program i think it is called the harris benndict formula ?? not sure on the spelling since i am not at home right now..
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    maybe it is wrong in the equation it says 665 + and so on but for man it says 66 so maybe that is why the numbers are so high
    I tried it out it would be something around 2300 for me with being lightly active (which is more compared to MFP even if I would eat my excercise cals back) if I take just a 66+ the height and weight stuff the it is just about 1400 which I think I would "starve"
    so I am not quite sure but then he talks about losing 4-5 pounds a week which is a high number
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cool, mine worked out to 1886 which is 6 calories higher than the maintenance calories MFP gives me :happy:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    bump to read later