Eating enough to lose weight??...sent by a bootcamp instruct

Options

Replies

• charneus
    Options
    I think the formula is correct, but it's being interpreted incorrectly.

The formula is great if you want to keep the shape you're in. Yes, the number might seem a little high, but that's because you're not accounting for the calories you burn while exercising. For example:

The number I got from here was 4,346. That's supposed to be my caloric intake. Why is that number so high? That's to account for the 1,500 calories I may burn while exercising. If I just ate my normal of 3,000 calories, and I burned 1,500 calories, I'd lose weight, for my net caloric intake would only be 1,500 calories. However, with 4,346 calories eaten, I can burn 1,500 calories and maintain the weight I'm at now.

It's perfect for people who have reached their ideal weight and want to keep it at that level, but you still have to account for the calories you burn, no matter what.
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 x weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 x height in cm ) – ( 6.755 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.76 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655.1 + ( 9.563 x weight in kg ) + ( 1.850 x height in cm ) – ( 4.676 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )

Little to no exercise Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.2
    Light exercise (1–3 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.375
    Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.55
    Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.725
    Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.9

These are without any calorie deficit also!!!! So if you have your goal weight loss set to any thing but zero on my fitness pal it will not be the same number you get with these. These numbers are to maintain your weight! remember 3500 = 1lb. So this means you would have a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days for 3500 calories in total !

These are what you need the numbers used seem a little off these are more accurate

Hopefully this helps everyone!

Also by the way. This is how it works. These numbers are not very accurate they are off 100-300 calories depending on the person. Don't over exaggerate your exercise!!.
  • Brookelee30
    Options
    Bump
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 calories plus I workout (burning 450-550 calories). I eat a 35% protein/ 35% carb 30 % fat.

I have lost more weight eating this way than eating 1200 calories and working out burning 450-550 calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I run numbers daily for friends on MFP and they are losing weight between 1600-2700 calories.
    This stuff works.
    One thing to remember though is you wont see much scale movement for a while.
    Most of the effects of this will be in body fat %.
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I run numbers daily for friends on MFP and they are losing weight between 1600-2700 calories.
    This stuff works.

Exactly thank you !!!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    This stuff works.
    is this the forumla you use to help friends set up their numbers?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The science is there ... it's the fear factor of falling into that same " food coma " that caused the unwanted pounds to begin with. The fact is your formula is correct for maintaining current weight. If you want to lose ... subtract 500 to 1000 calories from your bottom line.

Note * When choosing your activity level ... be honest, cause choosing a higher number than reality just continues to support that vicious circle of weight off / weight on.

One must first be accountable ... then and only then can you move towards success. Everybody has it in them .... you just have to want it bad enough !
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So if you follow this formula and figure out your calories, should you still keep track of your exercise and eat those calories back or is that already factored in with the activity level part of the formula?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    So if you follow this formula and figure out your calories, should you still keep track of your exercise and eat those calories back or is that already factored in with the activity level part of the formula?
    they would already be figured in with the activity level, so no need to eat exercise calories back
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This stuff works.

I have a dietary calc I use for different types of diets.
    It has settings for cuts, bulks, IF and concurrent fat loss/lean mass gains.
    So far its been accurate as long as the person who gives me their stats has a proper body fat%.
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Phew! just did this and it came up with 1027 i was like OMG! but then realised i added my weight instead of multiply :blushing:
    Yeah its too early in the morning for math lol!
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    This stuff works.

I have a dietary calc I use for different types of diets.
    It has settings for cuts, bulks, IF and concurrent fat loss/lean mass gains.
    So far its been accurate as long as the person who gives me their stats has a proper body fat%.
    ah ok - i would ask you to help but i have no idea what my BF% is... i did a handheld thing at my gym at the beginning on jan but i dunno how accurate that is
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Those numbers make sense

BMR ( the first calculation) is the amount you would need if you were in a coma.
    TDEE - after applying the lifestyle multiplier is your daily calorie requirements.

To lose weight you shoud be eating somewhere between the 2.

I was concerned when MFP set me at 1200 to lose even a lb a week, as it was below my BMR, and therefore not healthy, in my opinion. plus I was feeling lightheaded on 1200.

So, my numbers have been worked, increased substantially, and I am going to give them a go.

I am not going to weigh in for a month, as I know my body is going to react to the extra calories initially, but then hopefully it will all start working again, and my fat% will reduce, whilst keeping my lean tissue.
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know these number seemed shockingly high to me too! I was used to consuming 1300-1400 Then when I figured in my workouts at a moderate activity level height and weight, it said I should be eating over 2300! BUT that is to maintain,. so I subtracted the 500 calories to loose and it still said 1800. I was shocked!

I will admit that I am a little nervous to go from 1300 to 1800 so I will just start it at 1600 and see how this works.

NOW REMEMBER this is figuring in your exercise. so I burn 400-600 calories 5 days a week.

I know there are alot of people who fear this and I do kinda as well but I know I am WORKING hard in my bootcamps and I need to give my body the nutrition it needs. Several women both much bigger and much small them me swear by this as long as you are working out hard, they say its the best way to drop fat and gain muscles.

So here I go! I will report back on my progress!

Wish me luck
  • amylynna1
    Options
    Did you subtract 500 cals for loss?
  • amylynna1
    Options
    Is there usually a gain before the loss begins if you haven't been eating this way previously? I just want to be prepared.

According to the formula, my number was 2318. On MFP, my daily caloric intake is 1310 before exercise. I burn around 600-700 calories 5 days per week, Around 400-500 on the weekends. I weigh 156 and want to weigh 128, so I used the numbers for my goal, rather than my current weight.

I'm a bit worried about eating more, but I'm pretty stalled on my weight loss at the moment and am willing to try it.

Worth a shot...right? I am trying it. Just make sure you continue to workout as hard as you indicated the the equation. Keep me posted and I will let you know if it works for me too!
  • amylynna1
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! But it seems kind of counter-intuitive. Why are anorexic people so thin, then? It just basically comes down to calories in, calories out.

Im not sure but I know I dont want to be anorexic or thin I want to be strong and tone. I dont want to be a thin "fat" person. You know weigh very little but have little muscle. My goal is to have more muscle and look tone. Its worth a shot. I will let you know if it works!

THANKS!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Sounds nifty, but wrong. That mechanism causes adaptive thermogenesis, not weight gain. It appears even people that call themselves experts need to do a bit more due diligence before they actually start to preach on paper.
    When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.
  • amylynna1
    Options
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 x weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 x height in cm ) – ( 6.755 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.76 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655.1 + ( 9.563 x weight in kg ) + ( 1.850 x height in cm ) – ( 4.676 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )

Little to no exercise Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.2
    Light exercise (1–3 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.375
    Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.55
    Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.725
    Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.9

These are without any calorie deficit also!!!! So if you have your goal weight loss set to any thing but zero on my fitness pal it will not be the same number you get with these. These numbers are to maintain your weight! remember 3500 = 1lb. So this means you would have a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days for 3500 calories in total !

These are what you need the numbers used seem a little off these are more accurate

Hopefully this helps everyone!

Also by the way. This is how it works. These numbers are not very accurate they are off 100-300 calories depending on the person. Don't over exaggerate your exercise!!.

thanks for the clarification! This is all new to me but I am willing to give it a shot!