Trader Joe's!

Options

Replies

• sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    *sigh* I love T.Joes. Saddly I have to drive 5 hrs round trip when I go. This only happens 3-4x's a year.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ginger snaps............my husband and i will go through the whole tub in one night if were not careful :/
  • willidewbaby
    willidewbaby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    IT'S two buck chuck, the wine, now $5 buck chuck. Best cheap wine you will ever drink.
  • beautifulnovember
    Options
    I <3 TJ's! Latest thing I love is the Edamame nuggets. So yum!
  • SaraBL15
    SaraBL15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Gotta try the Vegetable Masala Burger in the frozen section ... next to the veggie burgers. I eat one with a pile of steamed broccoli on top. Yum! Kinda high in sodium, but if you watch the rest of your meals, it's a great splurge!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Ahh my shopping list. thanks!
    Mango Lassi ( a mango yogurt smoothie )
    Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
    Fruit Leather or fruit & fiber Ends & Pieces (mixed bag of all different flavors and cheaper than the individual bars - stock up when you see it because they don't always have it!)
    Frozen pre-cooked chicken breast strips (great on salad)
    Multi-grain mix (quinoi, rice, lentils, couscous, and I forget what else, but really great)
    Multi-grain o's cereal
    organic yogurt (ALL their yogurt items are good)
    low-fat string cheese
    Israeli feta (worth paying more than their store brand, it's sooo good for Greek salads)
    Freeze-dried fruit (strawberries are my favorites, especially with cereal)
    All their Frozen Indian meals (fairly healthy for frozen meals, a little bit spicy, very good for quick lunches at work)
    100-calorie chocolate bars (it's really good chocolate and helps a lot with portion control)
    frozen chocolate-covered banana pieces (just 1 or 2 little pieces really help satisfy a chocolate craving)
    fruit snacks (basically chopped up bits of fruit leather, these are my toddler's favorite thing ever and not loaded with corn syrup like other fruit snacks)
    all their granola bars
    whole wheat pizza dough (refrigerated) - haven't found a topping yet that wasn't good with this
    broccoli slaw (great alone, as a slaw, on salad, or stir-fried with a little sesame oil, garlic, and ginger)
    persian cucumbers (they're small so can cut one up for a perfect size snack with any of their hummus flavors)
    sicilian chicken sausage (great low-fat substitute for italian sausage in recipes)
    marinara sauce (love this over baked zucchini with some grated romano)
    black bean soup
    champagne vinaigrette dressing (and it makes the best chicken marinade ever)
    all their frozen fruits (for smoothies, topping hot oatmeal or baking in muffins)
    snapea crisps (caution: addictive!)
    quick cook steel cut oats (don't have to wait 45 minutes for steel cut oats)
    black forest ham
    rosemary ham
    chicken cilantro mini wontons (alone or in some of their chicken broth as soup)

and tons more... i always end up getting good stuff that's not on my list that looks interesting to try.

only drawback - they keep getting rid of some of the stuff I love the most, like the onigiri!
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have become a "supplier" of TJ products to my friends who live in parts of the country without a Trader Joes. I'd be so sad to live without it.
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some GREAT suggestions! I adore trader joe's. My most awesome discovery has been the frozen mango chunks. They are 90 calories for 14 cubes!!! And they taste JUST like sorbet. Somehow the texture is creamy...no matter how long they have been in the freezer. I eat them frozen. Sooooo good!
  • lessthanzero
    lessthanzero Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    On your recommendation I tried the soy ginger cod and was quite pleased. The fish and sauce is very, very good! I paired the dish with fresh broccoli.

4492996.png
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some GREAT suggestions! I adore trader joe's. My most awesome discovery has been the frozen mango chunks. They are 90 calories for 14 cubes!!! And they taste JUST like sorbet. Somehow the texture is creamy...no matter how long they have been in the freezer. I eat them frozen. Sooooo good!
    I checked for the Mango Chunks on my last visit, bummer they were out. Next week for sure I'll be picking some up for Smoothies! Thanks for the recommendation!

I love their 1/2 sodium Albacore Tuna, fantastic taste without all the sodium, they also sell the no sodium variety which I'll try next time I'm there, hopefully it's even more amazing! Albacore is so yummy!

I'm totally into their No Sodium Marinara Sauce these days, I use it for everything..it now takes the place of pizza sauce, pasta sauce and anything along that lines. I figured why buy something for each meal when I can use the Marinara for all of it.

I take one of TJ's Whole Wheat Homemade Tortillas and then pour on about 1/8-1/4 cup on the tortilla and then add about 1/4-1/2 cup cheese to top it. SO Tasty!! I'm realizing my keeping the toppings simple I can taste all the ingredients (plus I was out of veggies to toss on:laugh: ).
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Gotta try the Vegetable Masala Burger in the frozen section ... next to the veggie burgers. I eat one with a pile of steamed broccoli on top. Yum! Kinda high in sodium, but if you watch the rest of your meals, it's a great splurge!
    YES YOU DO! :laugh: The Veggie Masala Burgers are super! I do up a couple eggs and have one on the side. Love that there's no soy in it and it's ALL veggies.

Sometimes I taste a sample of something wonderful they sell and end up picking it up to clone it at home. :blushing: :bigsmile: Those are one of the things I think would be super easy to do at home (the Masala Burgers). It seems pretty basic, Indian spices, potatoes, corn, green beans and some other yummy veggies in the patties. :tongue:

Anyone cloned any Trader Joe's food? Psssssttt...I won't tell if you share! :noway: :tongue:

I used to eat Trader Joe's "Pizza Al Pollo Asado" ( it's Corn Masa Crust with Grilled Chicken Breast, Refried Beans, Jack Cheese & Tomatillo Salsa) from time to time and that's another one I'd love to clone.

Good thing I'm a close friend of Google. :glasses:

So what other treasures have the rest of you discovered on your visits?:huh:
    My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE at the moment: puff pastry margherita--only 190 cals per serving or 380 if you're a fatty like me and eat the whole pizza
    I AM familiar with this one too:blushing: and OMG...it is amazing and yes, it's so easy to eat both servings for a meal. I'd like to buy/make some Puff Pastry and try my hand at cloning this one too, can't imagine it being too difficult, it's all in the Puff Pastry, the rest is simple toppings.
    I love EVERYTHING at Trader Joe's

Reminds me I need to go shopping...
    Short and to the Point!! I love it!:tongue::drinker:
    IT'S two buck chuck, the wine, now $5 buck chuck. Best cheap wine you will ever drink.
    Still $2 Buck Chuck here! Well, $1.99 to be precise!:bigsmile:
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I love EVERYTHING at Trader Joe's

Reminds me I need to go shopping...
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Flowers

They really do have the best non-florist flowers around!
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Their: Edamame hummus, frozen green beans, veggie sticks, mango greek yogurt, instant coffee w/ cream and sugar, sunflower seed butter, their chocolate almond milk, baby carrots, instant miso soup, raw honey, high fiber cereals, fiber granola bars, rice noodle bowls, Thai vegetarian dumplings (a staple of my diet, haha)...the list goes on and on!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for sure
    Smooth & Creamy Hummus
    Savory Thin Rice Crackers - multi-seed with soy
    A frozen heat & eat quinoa with veggies I got last week - so good
    Almond butter
    Tropical juice in a box - so yummy - 1/4 cup in a smoothie makes it taste SO delicious!
    Oyster Crackers (my kid loves them!)

And non foods - my dogs love their dog treats! And I also love their face lotion with SPF.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    After hearing a lot about Trader Joe's on this site I decided to check it out. No idea what the fuss is about. I didn't buy a thing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, and their ketchup - best ketchup ever! And no junk in it! Their BBQ sauces are good too.
  • Borgg
    Borgg Posts: 7
    Options
    My wife and I love the Meatless Meatballs and the Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. For a guilty pleasure their Sesame Sticks are a little slice of heaven.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I miss Trader Joe's so much. :(
    I still have family bring me out the Garlic Aoli Mustard and the boxes of Green Tuna Curry.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Trader Joe's fan, not for the prices or quality, but for other "moral" reasons.. plus i'm weird about where I grocery shop. But, their organic flaxseed cereal! YUM! my second favorite cereal!! :)