MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Jodi -- why not stretch? I don't stretch a ton before my run -- but feel like a need some. Is that harmful???

I guess I didn't mean you shouldn't stretch at all before, but you shouldn't stretch before you warm up your muscles a bit. I will stretch occasionally after a short warmup if I'm still feeling a little stiff, but I save any major stretching for after.

I think this may be kind of a personal thing that people will have to play with, at least for certain muscle groups. I know if I don't stretch my shins before I warmup/run they become mindnumbingly painful very fast. Stretching before eliminates that :)

Better way to put it--thanks msarro!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Gotcha -- nice to know! Thanks for all the posts. I always stretch a little before heading out -- but I'm the worst about stretching after my run. There have been many times when I forget and end up stretching in the shower!!! :embarassed:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Really tough run today.....very hot and humid! Got in about 4.5 miles in 45 minutes.
    Followed up with an hour of pilates.
    Not sure if I'll run or cross train this weekend...left shin is starting to hurt more consistently.....grrrr!
    Have a wonderful Friday everyone!
    Becky
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Did it - week 8 day 2 - it was really hard today - just had to keep kicking myself in the butt to keep going....
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I wanted to go 3 miles this morning for a quick tempo run. Around 2.5 something didnt feel right in my leg and tomorrow I'm planning about 8 miles, so I called it quits early.

I'm on the post run stretch band wagon, it feels sooo good after a run. :drinker:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday.

Did 7 today at an easy pace.

I stretch after running, as well. Sometimes I'll do a couple of quick stretches prior to my run, but usually not. Depends on how this old body is feeling. :happy:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    Still unable to run, but I hope to be back soon! Physical Therapy today, they shot cortisone through some sticky pad that attaches to my hip with electrodes! :laugh: Its weird!:laugh:
    So, personally, I stretch a little before I run, but more after. PT says that when u run long distances and run everyday that stretching is sooo important to do throughout the day. She says that is what caused my injury over time.
    Take care of yourselves everyone!!!

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I can hardly believe that I just ran 9 miles. A milestone run!!! :drinker:

My time was 1:37:13. Yay for me!!! Now............ rest!!

Good day everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday runners!! I had a great 7 mile run this morning :wink:
    Now that my knee is feeling better, I'm getting really excited about training for the marathon
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Morning all... Just got back from 8 fun hilly miles, good stuff. Time to go sit by the pool. :glasses:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I just have to tell each and every one of you that you are an inspiration:blushing: . I recently decided that I want to be able to run- I've always enjoyed running, but was never very good at it. Despite the fact that I'm only 24, and I'm not overweight, and I consider myself an athletic person, running has never come very easy to me:grumble: .

Reading through these posts is SO neat! I just started couch to 5k this week (I've done 2 days so far) and so far I like it, but I'm still skeptical:laugh: ! There is a 5k at the end of August that I'd love to do so that's my goal. I just love to look through these posts, see all kinds of different people- people that have always been athletic, people that didn't think they could run to the end of the driveway but just completed a 5k, people that are my age, and people that are old enough to be my parents (or maybe even my grandparents!) that have successfully become runners. I *dream* of the day when I can come in from a run and post on MFP that I just ran a couple miles to get my day started... nevermind ran for an hour or more! :happy:

Anyhow, just had to let you all know how much I enjoy what you're doing... keep up the awesome work!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Runners:flowerforyou:

Welcome Kelynn:heart:

Today is a rest day for me.

Some awesome runs posted today. I can't wait for my long run tomorrow.:bigsmile:

Have a great weekend
    -Kechie.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kelynn...

No run for me today, but did hit the pool for 1,500M which was horrible! Ughh... I hate swimming. Then got in a great 55 mile ride, super hilly and windy.

Running tommorrow, and excited too. Gotta keep up with the crew here on MFP.

Great job everyone!

Raymond
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Crazy runners today! You all are AWESOME!!! :drinker:

Day off for me today, BUT...guess what I did do?!?!
    I got new shoes! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Holy moley! I really didn't have that many miles on my old ones (200 running) but I'd gotten slack and started wearing them to walk the dog, cycle, elliptical, etc so I think that wore them down more quickly. What a difference! Same exact shoe....sooooo much more *cushion* and support. In fact I held the old vs. new up to eachother...there is over a 1/4" difference in the sole. That's how much I have compressed the others already! SOOOOO, for those of you who wonder how important it is to keep your equipment updated....let this be a good example! It was for me!
    AND...I went ahead and splurged on a fuel belt. I got the new helium one which apparently has better padding and it's hot pink so very cute! :wink: I left feeling like a real runner, had a great conversation with the store manager about running....it was a good day!

Have a great weekend! I'll report soon on the new gear!

Becky
  • sonia2
    Options
    I did 4.5 miles outdoors in the crazy heat and humidity! Had trouble breathing :frown: -- I'm going to try using an inhaler before I go next time to see if I'm truly just a sissy or there is some validity to exercise induced asthma. :grumble:

Hope you all have a happy Friday -- woohoo -- just a few more hours till the weekend officially begins! :drinker:

Enjoy your day!
    Julie

Julie,

If it makes you feel any better, my breathing has improved dramatically since I've been runnign outside!! Also, I live in the most humid region in the country. My 9 miles was easy, as far as my breathing goes, this morning. Keep running outside and it will get better if you don't have other problems. Good luck!

Sonia
  • sonia2
    Options
    Crazy runners today! You all are AWESOME!!! :drinker:

Day off for me today, BUT...guess what I did do?!?!
    I got new shoes! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Holy moley! I really didn't have that many miles on my old ones (200 running) but I'd gotten slack and started wearing them to walk the dog, cycle, elliptical, etc so I think that wore them down more quickly. What a difference! Same exact shoe....sooooo much more *cushion* and support. In fact I held the old vs. new up to eachother...there is over a 1/4" difference in the sole. That's how much I have compressed the others already! SOOOOO, for those of you who wonder how important it is to keep your equipment updated....let this be a good example! It was for me!
    AND...I went ahead and splurged on a fuel belt. I got the new helium one which apparently has better padding and it's hot pink so very cute! :wink: I left feeling like a real runner, had a great conversation with the store manager about running....it was a good day!

Have a great weekend! I'll report soon on the new gear!

What is a fuel belt?:huh:

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me this morning.

I don't listen to music when I run so I think about things.:laugh: This morning I wondered if I could get the benefits of running without running would I still run? I am ashamed to admit that I decided that I would not run.:ohwell: I am more addicted to what running does for me than the actual act itself. What is your deal? Do you enjoy the benefits of running or the act of running?

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Kechie :flowerforyou: I guess I do enjoy the act of running but I love what it has done for me healthwise. So, if I didn't have those added benefits, I would still run but not nearly as much!!

I ran 3 miles this morning and tried to run at a challenging but controlled pace and just see what I could do. I can tell that I am getting stronger and a little more efficient tackling the hills. I love the Garmin watch that I bought, it is so awesome for training. I was excited that I averaged 8:16 mile pace this morning, I don't normally run that fast with my buddies that I run with thru the week. I hope you all have a great Sunday!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Kechie- That is a good question. I do enjoy the act of running, but I'm not sure I would always be trying to do more or get better without the added benefits.

So, today was the day...finished it in 34:43, and I am proud to say that I broke the 11 minute mark for my first mile! Now to be able to keep that pace.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58347-just-ran-my-first-5k
  • beckyi88
    Options
    A fuel belt is a snug fitting belt with up to 4 pockets for 8 oz. water bottles plus a small pouch for gels,etc. The helium has extra padding on the obvious pressure points ~ hip bones :laugh: . I wasn't sure about carrying the extra weight so I got the 2 bottle....of course now today I'm realizing I could have gotten the 4 and only carried 2 at a time :tongue: with the option for the extra when needed. Last week made me realize I need to carry water on my long runs and I can't stand anything on my hands so that left me the belt option! I hope I find it worth the expense!
    Becky