The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• dino0726
    Options
    Hi ask4itall - I'm new to the forum. I agree with all of the good advise you gave. Just wanted to add too that how people eat is important too. I have to remind myself that eating slower is better than scarfing down your food. Helps the body realize when it is full.
  • ChristinaDixon
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Definitely helpful! :happy:
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    agree
  • calgirl43228
    calgirl43228 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Again your over simplifying the science of nutrition. You've proved your point, yes Burning more Calories than you consume means an eventual drop in weight but the real questions are

1) Is it a healthy way of doing it
    2) Are you losing the weight from the right areas.

You're making it more complicated than it is. You cannot choose where you lose weight from. Saying that eating certain things allows you to lose weight from certain areas is junk nutrition. There is no magic. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. The reason we're overweight is we underestimate how many calories we consume and overestimate how many calories we burn. Thank you for acknowledging that burning more calories than you consume is what leads to weight loss. That's the great thing about MFP. If you're honest and dilligent about your food diary and your exercise, the answer is right in front of you.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post this info......very interesting.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Again your over simplifying the science of nutrition. You've proved your point, yes Burning more Calories than you consume means an eventual drop in weight but the real questions are

You're making it more complicated than it is. You cannot choose where you lose weight from. Saying that eating certain things allows you to lose weight from certain areas is junk nutrition. There is no magic. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. The reason we're overweight is we underestimate how many calories we consume and overestimate how many calories we burn. Thank you for acknowledging that burning more calories than you consume is what leads to weight loss. That's the great thing about MFP. If you're honest and dilligent about your food diary and your exercise, the answer is right in front of you.

No need to argue over it being simple or complex, it's both. Boil it down and yes less in than going out = weight loss. But as the other guy said there's lean mass to worry about, glycogen stores, fat loss, and a myriad of other things that enter into it.

2+2=4 is about as simple as it gets, but if you've ever seen the mathematical proof of that if's amazingly comlicated.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

No need to argue over it being simple or complex, it's both. Boil it down and yes less in than going out = weight loss. But as the other guy said there's lean mass to worry about, glycogen stores, fat loss, and a myriad of other things that enter into it.

2+2=4 is about as simple as it gets, but if you've ever seen the mathematical proof of that if's amazingly comlicated.

Great point about it being both simple yet complicated.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Great point about it being both simple yet complicated.

Exactly, this was the only point I was trying to make, the basic premise is simple but when you really look into it there is science behind it and quite a bit of knowledge.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    they are expecting you to eat about 250 to 300 cal' with each "meal" my mother allways referd to this as "grazing" as oposed to eating a meal and so do i but it dose help keep you from haveing huge meals if thats what your used to
    Grazing has helped lots of people get fat in the US. A little here and a little there led lots of people to this site. Heck cows graze daily.
    There is no science to show that eating multiple meals is better for you than eating even 1 or 2 meals a day as long a calorie and macronutrient/micronutrients are met. Do what's best to help yourself lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Guess i like broscience then. Call me old fashioned, show me a six pack, tell me how you got it. Good enough for me.

<

It was a dark and stormy evening and my car battery had just died. I managed to pull over alongside the highway where, in the pouring rain, I walked for miles on end -- just looking for civilization. After several hours, with mud covering my sneakers and matted down hair, I finally saw light in the distance. I got closer and closer and realized it was some sort of diner.

Finally I arrived. The smell of greasy meat hit me in the face when I opened the door and I immediately sat down on one of the old, beaten stools. A curly-haired lady in her 50's took my order.

"I'd like a bacon cheeseburger with a side of french fries".

No sooner did the word "fries" escape my mouth when a shadow was cast over my body. A man was now standing over me. A big, big burly man. He had to be 6'10 and covered in hair, with a bone in his nose and a large club. He looked rather caveman-like.

In a gruff voice, he muttered:

"OOGA OOGA. Potato NO PALEO"

And I've had a six pack ever since.
    Booyah!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    they are expecting you to eat about 250 to 300 cal' with each "meal" my mother allways referd to this as "grazing" as oposed to eating a meal and so do i but it dose help keep you from haveing huge meals if thats what your used to
    Grazing has helped lots of people get fat in the US. A little here and a little there led lots of people to this site. Heck cows graze daily.
    There is no science to show that eating multiple meals is better for you than eating even 1 or 2 meals a day as long a calorie and macronutrient/micronutrients are met. Do what's best to help yourself lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

Personally it just prevents me from snacking on bad food all day. If I eat 6 times a day I never really feel hungry so I tend not to run for a bad treat. It's purely psychological for me and I agree with you that I've never read any scientific proof out there but it may exist, I've just not found it yet.
  • highland06
    highland06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I really appreciate the time and effort that some of you have taken to provide good information. I have learned a lot from this thread. And I don't think that providing scientific evidence is "being negative".

I may choose to follow some of the OPs ideas but not because of the reasons that he stated. I am throughly convinced that his reasoning isn't sound. I will follow some of them because they may help me control my behaviour. I eat a healthy breakfast because it helps me feel that I am staring the day off right. I snack oftern because when I get hungry I make really bad choices (like going to a drive-thru fast food place on my way home from work). And I do high intensity interval training because it makes me feel strong and fast - I am so impressed that I am able to run at my weight. In short, when I feel good about myself i eat less, make better food choices, and exercise more.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    wow- some ppl are just MEAN. Thank you for the post and info. And everything I've read says water IS vital. Every doctor I've ever talked to said if you feel thirsty YOU'RE ALREADY DEHYDRATED.

I would bet anything the poster who drinks only when thirsty is dehydrated. And here's the thing - it's difficult to drink TOO much water but VERY easy to not drink enough. I'd rather error on the side of caution. Dehydration is NO JOKE.
    Also, MANY people feel hungry when they are REALLY thirsty. I drink water all day long - when I feel hungry, I know it's hunger & not thirst, but I'll have a drink anyway, just to make sure. I have a BIG drink right before bed and FIRST THING in the morning.
    If you drink a glass of water in the morning, you'll be surprised how thirsty you WERE without realizing it.

This man is ONLY trying to help. WHY would he waste HIS time with mis-information? And who are YOU people who are shooting him down!? are YOU nutrionists?
    eat or don't eat- drink or don't drink. NO excuse for being rude to other posters.

Nope, not chronically dehydrated. You are technically dehydrated when you feel thirsty, because the definition of dehydration is ANY drop in hydration levels. Your body is sensitive enough to register a 0.1% drop in hydration levels and signal thirst. Tell me, do you feel thirsty every time you go to the bathroom? Because technically, you dehydrate yourself every time you do. Over hydration is just as fatal as dehydration, and actually, can kill you faster. The reason Americans can get away with drinking such insane amounts of water above and beyond what we need to survive is because the American diet is ridiculously high in sodium.

If Americans are chronically dehydrated and in serious health risks because of it, then how do you explain the fact that there are still people alive on the African continent? Americans consume 10 times more water than Africans, if we aren't getting enough, they should all be dead by now. The drink tons of water thing was a marketing campaign by the bottled water industry, and obviously, it worked. Approximately 1.5-2 liters of liquid is all you need daily for proper hydration, from any source.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally it just prevents me from snacking on bad food all day. If I eat 6 times a day I never really feel hungry so I tend not to run for a bad treat. It's purely psychological for me and I agree with you that I've never read any scientific proof out there but it may exist, I've just not found it yet.
    I believe that instituting multiple meals per day may help some, but I don't you'll find any science to back up that it increases metabolism, staves off hunger, or is more healthy. Being a bodybuilder for most of my life, I believe that the 5-6 day meals were introduced as a way to help people gain weight.
    Just like "toning" (which is misused in the fitness/weightloss industry) was morphed into a "state of shape" (your muscle is either conditioned or not) by pilates and yoga, and "functional exercises" (which actually started out a rehabilitation exercises) got introduced as "core" training, I believe that multiply meals were re-introduced as a means of weightloss so that merchants and sellers of the programs could make more money.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is my third go at posting a reply as I needed to check a source, and then found I had lost MFP - wish there was a 'save draft' facility!!!
    Anyway, here goes for my threepenn'orth!! First, my thanks to the OP for introducing this topic, which made a lot of sense to me, anyway, though clearly it has started a bit of a debate. So anyway 3 points on which I do have a bit of an opinion on:

1) Breakfast - I was always taught that you should "breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord, and dine like a pauper" on the grounds that in the morning you need energy for the day's activities, and that at night you are usually sedentary after dining, so the calories you consume in the evening will not be as easily burned off as those consumed during the day. Also a lot of schools in UK now run breakfast clubs, serving a healthy breakfast at cost for any child attending the school. The reason for these was that teachers observed (and this was followed up by studies) that some children's performance fell during the morning, and usually these were children who had not had a decent breakfast. Schools which have a breakfast club reported that concentration was much better during the morning - and of course, they are a boon to families where both parents have jobs to get to.

2) Water - not only flushes out the body, and keeps organs like the kidneys functioning properly, but it creates a feeling of fullness, and drinking before a meal helps you to stick just to your planned meal, and drinking in between meals also helps to prevent you reaching out for that unhealthy snack.

3) Eating every 3 hours or so - I was again taught that 'little and often' is good, but I fear I don't do it even now. However a book I have been reading by Ian Marber strongly advocates this, on the grounds that it keeps energy levels up and avoids triggering insulin production. He has a website: www.thefooddoctor.com, or you can read his 10 principles of healthy eating on www.eatbetterforever.info.

I tend not to lurk on the message boards, so probably won't see if anyone disagrees with me!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    No one said that it doesn't work. We're just saying that it's broscience and isn't necessary to achieve your weight loss or health goals.

If you want to eat 10 times a day, go for it. It works just as well as eating 2 or 3 times a day.

If you want to eat breakfast, go for it. It doesn't matter if you do or don't. As long as you hit your calorie intake and macros for the day.

If you want to do HIIT cardio training, go for it. Doesn't matter. You can do all the HIIT until you are blue in the face and can't feel your toes, but if your diet is not 100% you will go no where.

Males and Females will benefit more from actually doing some resistance weight training moreso than doing HIIT cardio because of body composition. This is along with eating a calorie deficit or even a surplus if you're bulking.

Do I still need to talk about this or can we put it to rest?

Except for the 100% diet thingie....I think 90% is good enough....I totally agree.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Love the thought experiment. I like to take a different approach on what I like to call the "wackiness" of the idea of constantly eating every couple hours while trying to burn fat. The human body ALWAYS burns food for energy when there is food to be digested, and then burns fat during fasting periods. If you eat constantly throughout the day, your body is always burning food for fuel all throughout the day, and never burns any fat. Isn't the entire point of trying to lose weight to burn fat? So why do people continuously force feed themselves constant, small meals that never allow their body to enter fat burning mode?

It just doesn't make logical sense to me. I want my body to be in fat burning mode as often as possible, which means eating fewer meals, spaced much farther apart, to allow the shift into fat burning mode. Keeping yourself constantly fed does the exact opposite.

And yes, I know the body burns fat throughout the night, but don't you want it to burn even more fat during the day, also?

I think this post is pure bro-science. If I'm eating in a deficit, the body will tap into fat stores regardless of the number of times I eat each day.

I've lost a good deal of my weight by eating numerous mini-meals daily. Oh, heck, most days I just graze. I feel better doing it this way and my weight loss has been just fine. For those who prefer to eat bigger, less frequent meals, that works, too. It's what works best for you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The real key to losing weight is expending more calories than you consume. It's The First Law of Thermodynamics: calories in = calories out + accumulation. If you burn more calories than you consume, your body will draw the calories it needs from your fat stores and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat it from day to day. It's calories in and calories out. When you're moving, your body burns calories at a higher rate. When you sit down or sleep, your body returns to its base metabolic rate. If you want to know what really worked for the first poster, take everything in his post that is related to consuming less calories and burning more calories, and discard the rest. You'll then have what really led to his fine physique. All the rest is the "red hat": magical thinking and superstition that defy the First Law of Thermodynamics.

If it were really that easy then you could just fire all the personal trainers and nutritionists in the world. Way to boil down the complicate subject of nutrition and body mechanics down to Burn More than you Consume.

Your forgetting that your body doesn't immediately go to your fat stores right away.

First, you'd be surprised just how many personal trainers and nutritionists out there have outdated and incorrect data. Anyone can go study a book, take an exam and become a personal trainer or a sports nutritionist. It's not like it's rocket science to accomplish.

Second, it's about and always will be about calories in versus calories out. Being HEALTHY is subjective.

A 5'8, 175lb man who eats a balance of foods including junk food such as pizza, cheeseburgers, ice cream and whom does some sort of resistance weight training every day....

...will be MUCH healthier than

A 5'8, 225lb man who eats nothing but "clean food" and doesn't do a lick of exercise.

Just because you eat alot of fruits and vegetables or "clean food" as people tend to call it doesn't mean you are healthy. If you're overweight, sit on the couch all day long while eating celery sticks and carrots you aren't going to be healthy and are still at risk of CVD and CHD.

Third, as far as eating multiple times a day because it prevents you from "snacking"...thats more of a lack of mental discipline on YOUR part than anything. Meal timing and meal frequency are completely and utterly irrelevant.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    The real key to losing weight is expending more calories than you consume. It's The First Law of Thermodynamics: calories in = calories out + accumulation. If you burn more calories than you consume, your body will draw the calories it needs from your fat stores and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat it from day to day. It's calories in and calories out. When you're moving, your body burns calories at a higher rate. When you sit down or sleep, your body returns to its base metabolic rate. If you want to know what really worked for the first poster, take everything in his post that is related to consuming less calories and burning more calories, and discard the rest. You'll then have what really led to his fine physique. All the rest is the "red hat": magical thinking and superstition that defy the First Law of Thermodynamics.

If it were really that easy then you could just fire all the personal trainers and nutritionists in the world. Way to boil down the complicate subject of nutrition and body mechanics down to Burn More than you Consume.

Your forgetting that your body doesn't immediately go to your fat stores right away.

First, you'd be surprised just how many personal trainers and nutritionists out there have outdated and incorrect data. Anyone can go study a book, take an exam and become a personal trainer or a sports nutritionist. It's not like it's rocket science to accomplish.

Second, it's about and always will be about calories in versus calories out. Being HEALTHY is subjective.

A 5'8, 175lb man who eats a balance of foods including junk food such as pizza, cheeseburgers, ice cream and whom does some sort of resistance weight training every day....

...will be MUCH healthier than

A 5'8, 225lb man who eats nothing but "clean food" and doesn't do a lick of exercise.

Just because you eat alot of fruits and vegetables or "clean food" as people tend to call it doesn't mean you are healthy. If you're overweight, sit on the couch all day long while eating celery sticks and carrots you aren't going to be healthy and are still at risk of CVD and CHD.

Third, as far as eating multiple times a day because it prevents you from "snacking"...thats more of a lack of mental discipline on YOUR part than anything. Meal timing and meal frequency are completely and utterly irrelevant.

Did I not write my comment clearly enough? Of course it's discipline on my part, I thought " purely psychological for me " was clear enough but if you prefer lack of mental discipline then so be it.

FYI I was agreeing with the one who was posting this.