How bad is diet coke for me?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet drinks because of the sodium.

I can understand if you don't want the chemicals or caffeine or carbonation... but the sodium level in diet cola is minuscule. About 25mg per serving of Diet Pepsi, which is about the same sodium content of three baby carrots.
  • RenjisGurl
    RenjisGurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm especially sensitive to aspartame, getting most of the side effects. Headache, worsening of depression, joint aches and pains. Some people aren't though, so whatever works for you. :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has aspartame. When aspartame is digested it is turned into FORMALDEHYDE. INSIDE YOUR BODY!!!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    OH My GOSH!!! Here it comes!!! You just asked a doozy of a question, Look OUT!!!
  • yag1630
    Options
    I drink coke zero or diet coke; three times a week at the office. It pumps up my day to do the all the work.
    As long as you also drink plenty of water that would at least balance it.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet drinks because of the sodium. Use Stevia to sweeten my ice and hot tea.
    Most diet drinks have less than 100mg of sodium.
  • hkmamma
    Options
    All things in moderation.......

I gave up sodas last year and have done fine without them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is the second thread on the same topic that I've replied to in less than an hour... so... yah... I'm repeating some info here.

Most of what you hear about diet coke is a myth. I have no idea why people turned it into a boogieman. I just googled "aspartame + metabolism" and OH WOW... it's no wonder people are terrified of the stuff... but 99% of what I saw on google was baloney.

Here's the simple truth-

Diet coke is acidic... if you drink it all the time and never brush your teeth, it could erode the enamel of your teeth.

Diet coke has caffeine in it, and caffeine can increase the acid production in your stomach. If you're prone to heart burn, it could make your heart burn worse/more frequent.

The aspartame in diet coke is metabolized into methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine. Methanol is further metabolized into formaldehyde. People use this info to make aspartame seem extra scary, but concentration matters. Methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine are all found in natural foods. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are even part of us! They are molecules that are used to help make proteins and enzymes that keep us alive! So unless you're eating a ton of aspartame and over-loading your system, the compounds aren't going to hurt.

A few people are especially sensitive to aspartame for some reason. They will experience headaches, etc.. but most people don't.

And... that's about it. I'd never call diet coke a health drink, but I drink it. And if you like to drink it, then I think you should go ahead and drink it and not feel bad.

100% truth here. "Aspartame" is in everything you eat, essentially, if it contains protein. And your body makes aspartic acid (which is half of aspartame) on a constant basis. While diet soda isn't good for you, per se, it's certainly not bad for you. And, to be fair, if it keeps you from drinking regular soda, or snacking on high calorie sweets, then it is good for you.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from artificial anything...that being said, if you saved a few calories for a regular Coke the corn syrup isn't much better :/

I do buy a few of the Mountain Dew and Pepsi classics when they are out...so good :)
  • tigersword
    Options
    Diet coke has aspartame. When aspartame is digested it is turned into FORMALDEHYDE. INSIDE YOUR BODY!!!

Your body makes formaldehyde all the time, whether you drink diet soda or not. It's a natural by product of human metabolism. Got any other wildly inaccurate inflammatory scare tactics to throw out?
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated 154 pounds from my frame and I've drank diet coke pretty much each and every day doing it.......I figure the weight loss benefits pretty much even out the potential ( often talked about never proven) side effects of diet coke......

I've drunk Diet Coke since my early 30s when I realised that normal Coke just tasted like syrup and I begrudged the calories in each can. Have to admit it - I only drink Diet Coke. I don't drink tea, coffee or milk, water makes me gag unless it is absolutely ice cold, but recent health checks show I'm healthy in spite of being so over weight, and now close to 100lbs lost I don't think I'll be giving it up just yet - I know there are loads on here who will disagree with me but that's the way it is folks :wink:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It probably won't kill you. For all the bad things said about diet coke, I have yet to meet a single person in real life who has had any adverse effect from it whatsoever. So until there is some real consensus that it is bad, I'll say keep drinking, but if you are drinking them all day long and can't stop, maybe you have a problem with diet coke.
  • birdieintx
    Options
    Everyone can provide you with information or links that contradict each other. If you want to know if it's bad for you or not, try getting of it. I went through horrible withdrawal symptoms. Headaches, shakes, depression, irritability etc...and then after going through that noticing how much better I feel physically and mentally now that I don't drink soda anymore. Maybe you wouldn't have the same experience as me but I learned if cutting something out of my diet causes that bad of symptoms and I notice later how much better I feel without it in my diet, than obviously it isn't good for me.
  • eillamarie
    Options

Your body makes formaldehyde all the time, whether you drink diet soda or not. It's a natural by product of human metabolism. Got any other wildly inaccurate inflammatory scare tactics to throw out?

No need to jump me. I've done some reading up on aspartame & formaldehyde. I know I have trace amounts in my body, but it is still a toxin, plain and simple. We also create ammonia-would you like to drink a little bit of that every day? I personally avoid aspartame because I'd rather not increase the levels of formadlehyde in my body. Just like I keep myself well hydrated to flush out ammonia & other such byproducts of my metabolism. Thank you very much for your little attack. But I'm entitled to my own researched opinions.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps.......................................(and it might not be true!!!! but thought it was interesting)

Water or Coke?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
    two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from
    the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke
    and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the
    toilet bowland let the 'real thing' sit for one hour,
    then flush clean The citric acid in Coke removes
    stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
    Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds
    Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour
    a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble
    away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola
    to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into
    the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
    Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix
    with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8... To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke
    into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
    through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen
    grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your
    windshield.

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
    (Likely applies to half the world population)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
    that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs
    for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of
    Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of
    water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain
    for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
    memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on
    the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8.. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
    colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
    cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop
    bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water
    you should drink every day?

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1 the active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
    It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
    acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
    contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the
    commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place
    cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
    engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or Coke?!

:drinker:

WATER please. I stopped drinking it because of all this and now if I taste it, it tastes sickly sweet and the caffeine make me ill. Never want it again! Lol. Strange how your body reacts when its used to being healthy! For some people I can understand it curbing their sweet tooth for very little calories, but not for me thanks X
  • tigersword
    Options

No need to jump me. I've done some reading up on aspartame & formaldehyde. I know I have trace amounts in my body, but it is still a toxin, plain and simple. We also create ammonia-would you like to drink a little bit of that every day? I personally avoid aspartame because I'd rather not increase the levels of formadlehyde in my body. Just like I keep myself well hydrated to flush out ammonia & other such byproducts of my metabolism. Thank you very much for your little attack. But I'm entitled to my own researched opinions.

Fresh fruit contains much higher concentrations of formaldehyde and methanol than you will get from any diet soda. Using your logic, you should probably stop eating fruit then, as well.

Most meats and nuts contain much higher levels as well, since the ingredients in aspartame are amino acids that are found in much higher concentrations in food than in soda, you will create much more of the dreaded formaldehyde and methanol just by eating.
  • eillamarie
    Options

Fresh fruit contains much higher concentrations of formaldehyde and methanol than you will get from any diet soda. Using your logic, you should probably stop eating fruit then, as well.

Most meats and nuts contain much higher levels as well, since the ingredients in aspartame are amino acids that are found in much higher concentrations in food than in soda, you will create much more of the dreaded formaldehyde and methanol just by eating.

My research has shown that some foods contain formaldehyde when the sugars have been irradiated, while others contain it naturally. The naturally occuring formaldehyde obviously isn't harmful as your body is able to process it since it is in such small amounts, but the foods that have been tampered with contain a type of formaldehyde that is mutagenic. Therefore, diet pops and other foods that contain the adative of aspartame-which upon being digested turns to the "bad" form of formaldehyde (and it creates more than our bodies can process)-can be and are dangerous to many people.

But this really isn't worth fighting about back & forth: to each their own! I will continue to avoid aspartame :)
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My doctor has advised me to drink no sodas (diet or regular) period. She says that giving up diet soda alone would allow me to lose weight. So just water for me from now on.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    My doctor has advised me to drink no sodas (diet or regular) period. She says that giving up diet soda alone would allow me to lose weight. So just water for me from now on.

Only if giving up diet soda causes you to eat less food.
  • duharvalgt
    Options

Deja vu moment lol , I explained almost exactly the same thing to someone a few weeks ago:laugh: