Do You Log Fun Activities?

Options

Replies

• cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I went sledding with the kids today. At points I was out of breath so I counted it. I only logged about half of it, though because I wasn't going up and down the hill the whole time. If it makes me tired, out of breath, etc. I log it.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If it's a good workout or out of the ordinary, I do. I log jumping rope and riding bikes with my kids. Somedays I will bring laundry upstairs piece by piece so I can log running up and down stairs. Exercise is exercise.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    minimal effort=minimal results.

You act as if I stated that this was the ONLY exercise I do all week (or even that day for that matter). I also exercise 6 days per week on top of anything else I consider fun.

Several people seemed to have jumped to the conclusion that I'm asking if going to the zoo once a month can take place of normal diet and exercise. I'm almost sorry I asked...

you are reading this through your own filter, not mine. That is evident since you only chose to quote part of my statement.

I'm not going to get into an arguement just because I asked for help. That's what this site is for. Stop being so rude and antagonistic to people. Seriously...

wow! Really? Fact is You attacked me for a commentt I made about a completely different topic and not your post-so who's being antagonistic? But again-your filter not mine.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    Personally, I don't log the walking done in the course of a museum/zoo/shopping/whatever trip. Largely because my pace in such a setting tends to be slow enough that it's not noteworthy. And since so much time is spent standing and looking at things, I'd have difficult time trying to quantify how much time I actually spent walking.

Now, if I walk the dog I keep a reasonably brisk pace and I'm walking basically non-stop the entire time, so I do log it.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log the walking done in the course of a museum/zoo/shopping/whatever trip. Largely because my pace in such a setting tends to be slow enough that it's not noteworthy. And since so much time is spent standing and looking at things, I'd have difficult time trying to quantify how much time I actually spent walking.

Now, if I walk the dog I keep a reasonably brisk pace and I'm walking basically non-stop the entire time, so I do log it.

Yeah I think it would have to depend on my pace. I definitely couldn't log the entire trip as there would be some time where we'd just be standing. Our Zoo's around here have a fair distance between each exhibit and we tend to walk pretty quickly so I think for the most part my pace would be faster than a normal walk. But in the midst of a bunch of exhibits it would be very slow.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    for some of us here it is simply the difference between deliberate effort vs. Normal daily activity. I did not sugbest the OP not log what HE considers Fun Activity. To each his own

I'm not quite sure who you're addressing here? Or was this more a generic pontification?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    for some of us here it is simply the difference between deliberate effort vs. Normal daily activity. I did not sugbest the OP not log what HE considers Fun Activity. To each his own

I'm not quite sure who you're addressing here? Or was this more a generic pontification?

not you-and no
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I count everything now, Like when I'm out shopping, I count it as walking. Hell, I'm even naughty and log "sexual activities". I think now, every little bit helps, even if it doesn't seem like much.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Yeah I think it would have to depend on my pace. I definitely couldn't log the entire trip as there would be some time where we'd just be standing. Our Zoo's around here have a fair distance between each exhibit and we tend to walk pretty quickly so I think for the most part my pace would be faster than a normal walk. But in the midst of a bunch of exhibits it would be very slow.

See, I would log it just for that too. I logged my walk to the park with the kids, because half the time I was jogging to keep up with their bikes!! At the mall today, I was booking it (my oldest is on the spectrum, there is no stopping and looking at things unless I mean business, lol). This is out of the ordinary, and a calorie expenditure, I would definitely count it.
  • MLA5FL
    MLA5FL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I just noticed one of my friends added "cleaning" in exercise today. I never thought to add things like that. I just figured things I normally do don't really count since it's what I've always done. I think little things can make a difference, but only if it's things we don't normally do - we were still the same size and weight with things we already did on a regular basis.

I've been taking my dog on a 20 minute walk every weekday and twice on weekends instead of just letting him out in the yard - a little thing, but I've been adding it just because it's one of those little things I've changed, once it becomes routine and as I increase my workouts I will stop logging the smaller things like that.

We don't want to try to fool ourselves into thinking we are doing better than we are by what we type into our diaries at MFP - just my 2 cents :)
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I only count those things because I'm set to sedatary and only allotted 1200 calories a day but I only eat about a quarter of the calories back that is supposedly burned. Guess it depends on the person situation

This is me too - mine is set at sedentary because I sit on my butt all day. I count cleaning, mowing, and shopping as exercise because I sit at a desk all day and that stuff IS exercise to me. I do workouts as well, but I think it's fair to count normal chores as exercise if you're staying active.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much effort I put into it....
    If I go mountain biking, I'll log it.... I typically burn in excess of 1000 calories...
    If I go kayaking it depends... if I'm on the lake putting in distance and time, I log it. If I'm just lily-dipping, taking in nature, I don't.
    If I go for a walk or hike again it depends.... if I'm just strolling about, I don't log it. If I am putting in some effort to get my heart rate up, I will log it.
  • sneckerdoodle
    sneckerdoodle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i do absolutely, i log it under walking at 2.0 mph, slow pace, your burning calories so you might as well count them.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I log activities with the kids. They are calories I wouldn't burn on a normal day. Same as an earlier post I always knock the time down a little because of stops.

Yes, this! Me, too. I do not log extracurricular time with my man or cleaning or things like that, but if I spend several hours walking, like I did today, heck yeah I am logging it!!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    If you expected a certain response you should state that when asking the question. No need to get bent out of shape on others opinions.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't log things unless they are intentional exercise, aka going to the gym, going for a run, etc. Things that are not intentionally planned exercise such as cleaning and washing my car I do not log, in my opinion it is not worth the over estimation.
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    why not? its still movement, if you feel guilty about it then just cut your time a bit. exercise is exercise no matter what form it comes in.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I went to the zoo today and I logged it. I had already done a workout this morning. I'm a very active person - in fact, I had to set my activity level to "very active" on MFP and it still doesn't match my TDEE. Walked quite a bit around the zoo - so much that my FitBit noticed - and I'm taking the calories, cuz I'm hungry!
  • RobynJoy76
    RobynJoy76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Fit Bit is really awesome for avoiding confusion with this. I highly recommend it. I burn a lot more calories just walking around than I thought.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I count everything now, Like when I'm out shopping, I count it as walking. Hell, I'm even naughty and log "sexual activities". I think now, every little bit helps, even if it doesn't seem like much.

careful i just got reamed out and accused of not knowing how to truly enjoy sex because they think im wondering, while im having my fun, how many calories Im burning. There's a ton of prude moms on this site so you gotta be PC or they flare up.

The truth is, when I roll over a guy on a sunday morning, stand up to stretch and can barely move cause im so sore from 4 or 5 hours of vigorous, hot sweaty, amazing sexual activity, with breaks only to pee and shower and I know I burned over 400 calories and my legs got an ST workout.....?

You can bet your butt that after he leaves my apartment, I grab a cup of coffee, gingerly sit down and plug that ish into my tracker along with breakfast.

Well... if you dont have a car and have to walk 7 miles a day cause you live in a pedestrian city- do those miles not count? You think I cant live in the moment of enjoying a great lay - cause Im going to track it the next day? Or do you think that because I get laid all the time, the calories I burned don't count.

hahaha... you're doing it wrong.