This is horrifying...

Options

Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Now we'll never know why the chicken crossed the road.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It's easy to cry out against the plight of the chickens and pledge to eat vegetarian or only well-treated, happy, free-range chickens. At least, it is when you're living in the first world and can afford to make that decision. If it was our babies who were starving or malnourished because we don't have the money or resources for an organic diet, our tune would change.

People have always been resistant to scientifically-induced change. The reality is, we have a lot of people on this planet, and we just can't live the way we did 100 years ago. We can't raise our own chickens, pigs and cows because we've been urbanized. We can't universally farm organic because it takes fertile space that just isn't available. It's all well and dandy to make efforts to buy organic, but that is a privilege reserved for the wealthy few. It's unfair for that few to make the decisions for the whole world.

I am no where near wealthy and I am able to source and spend way less money on buying organic, farm raised foods. It can be done and done cheaper and more easily.

My husband have cut more than half off our grocery bill by going through local farms, farmers markets and getting an organic CSA membership.
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's easy to cry out against the plight of the chickens and pledge to eat vegetarian or only well-treated, happy, free-range chickens. At least, it is when you're living in the first world and can afford to make that decision. If it was our babies who were starving or malnourished because we don't have the money or resources for an organic diet, our tune would change

You're making an assumption that brainless chickens, or lab meat would get to 3rd world starving countries. First world countries already over produce food and yet other people are still starving. Producing more or more efficiently will not feed those people.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Having come from a family of 7 kids and given birth to six myself (which we are EASILY able to take care of) I resent what you are saying. We do not need to limit the population like the Chinese what they do is disgusting and wrong. I take care of a girl sometimes that was from China (as well as her sister) both were left do die (one in a dumpster and she STILL remembers it she was very young and is now a preteen) JUST TRY TO LIMIT CHILDREN you will cause a lot more harm than help

now about the article. I think this is sick hence why i have my own chickens.. however I have been known to buy meat and will continue to do that when I need it. I have canine teeth and I will use them. God gave me them for a reason and no I don't believe that I came from an Ape so ya
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's easy to cry out against the plight of the chickens and pledge to eat vegetarian or only well-treated, happy, free-range chickens. At least, it is when you're living in the first world and can afford to make that decision. If it was our babies who were starving or malnourished because we don't have the money or resources for an organic diet, our tune would change.

People have always been resistant to scientifically-induced change. The reality is, we have a lot of people on this planet, and we just can't live the way we did 100 years ago. We can't raise our own chickens, pigs and cows because we've been urbanized. We can't universally farm organic because it takes fertile space that just isn't available. It's all well and dandy to make efforts to buy organic, but that is a privilege reserved for the wealthy few. It's unfair for that few to make the decisions for the whole world.

I am no where near wealthy and I am able to source and spend way less money on buying organic, farm raised foods. It can be done and done cheaper and more easily.

My husband have cut more than half off our grocery bill by going through local farms, farmers markets and getting an organic CSA membership.

You're wealthy in a global sense. Just by living in the western world we're all wealthy in comparison. We're not talking about just the population in North America and Europe. We're talking about the over 1 billion people that are underfed in the world.
  • Ashmeistar
    Options

First, I'm not anti-vegan. But, what if the whole world's population decided to go vegan? Would there be enough space to raise veggies for 100% of the world's food? How much space *would* be required? Something to think about. Would we have to kill off all the cows and other animals we use for food, directly or indirectly?

It takes maybe an acre to raise a cow, right? That will give you several hundred pounds of meat (protein and fat) and nothing else (vitamins, minerals, carbs). You could feed a family of four by farming that same area and provide a balanced diet. Raising animals for food is less efficient, not more efficient (I'm not a vegetarian, btw). The most efficient way would be to raise the animals for the other things they can give us (milk, eggs, wool, etc.) and then eat them when their useful life is over. That, and goats can be raised on areas that aren't good for farming.

I'd also like to add, if we wern't eating meat, we wouldn't be breeding animals at such a high rate. We wouldn't need to slaughter loads of them.

maybe people should stop breeding at such a high rate? just sayin

True. But would it fully support the demand if we did that? I dunno, although it might work. All the quotes are starting to make my head hurt! And this discussion's gone a bit off course from the OP's orignal post I guess
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There's been rumours for YEARS that a certain fast food chain already 'grow' headless chickens.

Colonel.....that's the only hint I can really give without breaking forum rules I think.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Exactly. If God did not intend for us to eat animals, he would not have made them out of meat! :-P
    [/quote]

:laugh: THIS!!!!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    This is disgusting, that is what it is.

I am all for meat consumption, but it has to be from local farm raised sources. There is NO way in hell that I will ever eat chicken that has been massed produced like some boxed macaroni and cheese. And there is NO way that I will ever eat that cloned meat they are working on right now.

Cloned ground beef is supposed to be released in October or some time this year.

GROSS

Do you drink milk? Milk from cloned milk cows was approved by the FDA on January 8, 2008. Many of the large dairy farms have numerous "genetic twins, triplets, quads, quints, etc." (and many more) producing for them.
  • mshidden
    mshidden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post: I hope people can over come the yuck factor, how sustainable is free range? Their are trade off, we have no interest in seeing chickens suffer, even a free range chicken will have their life cut short because we kill them in their prime. A chicken without a mind has no life to loss. Right? Now vegans and vegetarians can all take the moral high ground, because it is fare fare better not to raise meat at all, we could defiantly feed more people if we did. However, The real problem with feeding the world now is not producing but distributions, and the politics around the world. Even by eating less in theory we are help produce more food for those that need it, but this dose not translate as we would hope. It is good to talk about it, and as a rule I what ask you to eat anything I would not. I will eat the headless chicken and any healthy GM food. I love chicken meat, I am addicted.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Interesting. People would prefer to eat an animal that feels pain than one that feels nothing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You're wealthy in a global sense. Just by living in the western world we're all wealthy in comparison. We're not talking about just the population in North America and Europe. We're talking about the over 1 billion people that are underfed in the world.

Some people can't quite grasp what "poor" means to many people around the world. The difference between "poor" in the US and "poor" in a place like Haiti and many other countries is so vastly different it would make many heads spin.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    To get back to the OPs original point (sorta); chickens are already raised in inhumane conditions. Have you ever been in a commercial poultry "barn"? The first thing that happens when you open the door is; you are almost immobilized by a waft of ammonia. It burns your throat, nose and eyes and will knock most people back out the door. People who work in these barns almost always use "gas masks". You have to scoot your feet along the floor to avoid stepping on a chicken. The floor is covered with excrement and you have to be careful you don't trip on it's lumpy consistency. These chickens are raised this way for about 2 months, then slaughtered. The barns are cleaned and re-supplied with a new batch of chicks. The reason I know this is because when in high school, a friend of mine had a summer job of feeding the chickens on a small poultry farm. I lasted less than a minute after entering one of the barns. It was absolutely awful! :sick:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The article makes me more determined to raise and produce my own food. I have a garden and chickens. Before the end of this year, I am determined to add another garden, plus milk/meat goats and meat rabbits. A vegetarian diet isn't a good solution when the grains/vegetables are so often genetically modified organisms (GMO).
    I'm not worried about population growth, although I believe responsible people don't conceive before they have a good plan to care for a child. Unfortunately, there are a lot of irresponsible people. Still, every child is God-given. I worry about a society with little concern for the lives of unborn children.
    God has promised to take His followers out before things get too unbearable on this earth. I don't know when that will be, but it will happen, as He said. These are scary, but exciting times. Until the end, let's work hard, love God and our neighbors, and always try to do the right thing as the Spirit of God leads us. God bless you all!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I am all for meat consumption, but it has to be from local farm raised sources. There is NO way in hell that I will ever eat chicken that has been massed produced like some boxed macaroni and cheese. And there is NO way that I will ever eat that cloned meat they are working on right now.

Cloned ground beef is supposed to be released in October or some time this year.

GROSS

Do you drink milk? Milk from cloned milk cows was approved by the FDA on January 8, 2008. Many of the large dairy farms have numerous "genetic twins, triplets, quads, quints, etc." (and many more) producing for them.

Completely off topic from the OP's post, but I think it's really weird that people drink milk (I don't drink it, don't like it). We are the only species on EARTH that drink's another animal's milk. Milk is meant for nursing young...why are we drinking it from a cow? We're not baby cows...

But dammit I do love cheese. I try to shop only organic and eat cheese sparingly, but it's delicious.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

GROSS

Completely off topic from the OP's post, but I think it's really weird that people drink milk (I don't drink it, don't like it). We are the only species on EARTH that drink's another animal's milk. Milk is meant for nursing young...why are we drinking it from a cow? We're not baby cows...

But dammit I do love cheese. I try to shop only organic and eat cheese sparingly, but it's delicious.

There is a very long list of things humans do that no other species does. If we start living out lives based on that, well, you wouldn't be on this message board right now, would you?
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    it's interesting how we can't give the world enough food to eat meanwhile billions are trying to loose weight, they've developed a surgical technic to reduce weight for millions that are morbidly obese, and there are TV programs like "my 600 lb life" or "the biggest loser" highlighting a health crisis in many parts of the world.

IMHO; it boils down to more production = more money. doesn't matter if the meat is rotting on a shelf or being consumed by humans who need to consume less. we are excessively buying and using it, and someone is getting rich off it.

where I live; As long as I have money, there is food to be had by the tons. if a person can't earn the money, there are food banks and government checks to supplement.

Why doesn't this excess in food go where it's needed? it's not profitable.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

nonsense...

this is why i'm a vegetarian.. facts are, we dont feed 6billion (the number is closer to 7billion btw) people of the world. nearly 15% of the population is considered starving. i am not sure how many are considered mal nourished..there is a difference. many people in the US are malnourished yet overweight. facts are, animal farms, feed lots etc contribute to much of our pollution, clear cutting forests, erosion problems, poor soil quality. Facts are, a vegetarian diet is more sustainable for populations as well as the Earth. humans dont NEED meat to survive. in fact, vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat.
    6 billion, 7 billion, 8 billion, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that huge population requires protein and yes the best protein comes from meat. It took millions of evolution that involved us being primarily meat eaters. Show me one study stating that "vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat."

I will wait.

Watch the documentary "Forks over Knives". Tons of studies in there that show eating a vegan (Or vegetarian with very very low dairy) diet is much healthier.

I'll Wait...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    6 billion, 7 billion, 8 billion, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that huge population requires protein and yes the best protein comes from meat.
    algae protein is considered a better protein than meat and highly sustainable. photobioreactors can be built to produce plently of algae on bodies of water.
  • mikeandfox
    Options
    I have never been a strong opponent of GM food, but this makes me reconsider. What would the long term effects to this strain of chicken be, not only to the chickens themselves, but also to the predators health and environment. I say predator because we aren't the only ones who eat these chickens. Our pets and pests also eat them.

Morally, I can't find too much wrong with Mr. Fords deductions, even if it doesn't "feel" right to me. The demand for chicken is extremely high with no sign of changing. If this can be done, them it would be more moral than our current system. Perhaps more hygienic during production.

A few concerns I would have are cost, viability, and the long term effects to the predators.