• dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "That's your opinion"

"We all bleed red"
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow! This post got a lot of replies... obviously a **HOT TOPIC** :noway: :brokenheart:

I recently moved closer to family members so I'm exposed more often to their Conservative attitudes I don't agree with. I had to get up from the dinner table at Thanksgiving when the host started Obama-bashing.

I've also worked in office environments where it was considered OK to bash other cultures etc. While I hate to keep quiet, there's just no battling people set in their opinions who are unwilling to have an open-minded & intelligent conversation.

I usually disagree in a humorous or non-confrontational way and then quickly change the subject.

PEACE out :flowerforyou:
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    racists taste good when slow roasted,deep fried is good to but all that oil ick
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I always feel kind of bad because I don't confront racists, I'm half black but appear white and so many times I've been told racist jokes, sentiments, blah blah blah and I just do the "you're disgusting stare" and walk away...I don't feel that type of person can be reasoned with. :(

Living in a state that is now notorious for bigotry and racism (Arizona) is pretty embarrassing as a lot of racism is like celebrated, it's almost like a political view here as in a lot of people will respect it as a they are entitled to their personal opinion type thing. It's effing revolting.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'thats not very appropriate'. And leave it at that.

If one of the older ppl at work does something (not racist, but goes through a procedure improperly or wrong) I say 'you know better than that'. It's a nice way of saying 'dont do that'. I feel like I'm coming down on them, but it's true.

It's actually a form of harassment, I hate to say it cause it is pretty dumb and childish. But people can be reported and repremanded or whatever for it.

I recently read that in some classes/courses I just took, and it's come up in a few tests. In Ontario there's policies and procedures to follow. I personally wouldn't report it, or do or say anything, but as far as the government here is concerned, you should.

I live in a town with literally <5 black people, I can't stereotype them. One randomly comes to the bar, never drinks (only coca-cola) and is super cool. And I worked with one of the other ones (i didnt really like his work ethic), the last 2, one works with children and one's a doctor. So I stereotype them as normal human beings.... :) Sorta like everyone else in my life I've met.

For the most part, every race has someone hard-working, lazy ugly, smelly, smart, attractive, strong, weak...etc. etc. etc.

Being somewhere small isn't really a good excuse to conclude ALL such-and-such people are like that.

I used to stereotype that all smurfs were happy, but along came grumpy smurf. :(
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :smokin: i'm brown :laugh:
    well, i'm colombian but a lot of us are like half white looking so it's all good
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Being a white, Christian conservative, I hate racists.

Jesus was a Jewish guy from the backwoods part of Israel who hung out with prostitutes, tax collectors & sinners and was more concerned about their soul than the color of their skin.

^^THIS
  • Marty_D
    Marty_D Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's quite the dilhemma!! I'm white if you saw me (my grandfather was black) and I have 3 grandsons who are half black and I adore them. I've heard stories from my daughter of certain incidents with her boys in public where she has come up against racist attitudes. I've wondered how I'd react if I were there, would I use my words calmly or lose my cool completely. Nobody messes with the grands!
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My family looks like a UN peacekeeping force - we have English, Slovak, Ghanaian and Pakistani.

To be honest, it is the Pakistani part of the family who are racist, don't know what that's all about.
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I live in a redneck town where if you are brown you are automatically mexican, and if you are "yellow" you are autimatically chinese. It's full of extreme conservatives who feel like since they are white and christian, they can say anything about anyone they feel is beneath them,
    so i told him since hes white he must play his banjo in his trailor white the cousin he married is in the kitchen making possum suprise..so yeah, i need a WAY more tactful way of handeling the situation.

IRONY! Get yours while it's hot and fresh! That is not how to do it.

^ +1 :]

She was trying to show him how silly he sounded saying racial slurs about someone...anyone!. DUH!

Some people...thick as s***!

No need for that! Now waddle off & untwist your knickers, dear.

Yes, actually there was a need for that. I'm sure you haven't experience racism time and time again on a regular basis as I (as someone of mixed race in a small town in Pennsylvania) have. You are just squawking, my frustration comes from day to day life. You don't even know how life in the US is for a minority in small towns filled with ignorance.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a racist yourself, or are indifferent to racism, then you should speak up. I will say things like, "Do you know how wrong it is to use racial slurs"? or "I'm seriously offended by your racist comments". If everyone who claims to dislike racism would speak up, we'd hopefully shut some ignorant people up.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am a middle aged, midwestern, white, male, fiscally conservative, business professional.

After reading that, I am sure many already have a view of a racist in their mind. That is also racism. Yet, I am not racist. I do have negative opinions about some people, however that is based on their actions not on how they were born or what they believe.

For example, I have a negative opinion towards those that commit violent crimes. Based on our current prison population, some would say that means I am racist against a certain race. Yet, that is completely wrong. I am against any violent criminal, including the sex offenders who are more predominantly white. Disliking an action or behaviour is not racism.

As a fiscal conservative who believes that government spending is out of hand, I am automatically lumped together with extreme social conservatives. I may share some watered down versions of there views, but certainly not all of them. Fiscally conservative is a far cry from socially conservative (by the way, they have rights as well).

See I am of a different mindset i suppose, because when i hear someone say "i am against violent offenders" the only ones i have ever known myself were white...so i don't really associate certain races with crimes, but then again the only races i was ever really raised around were predominantly white. And I'm totally with you, government spending is WAY out of hand
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I live in a redneck town where if you are brown you are automatically mexican, and if you are "yellow" you are autimatically chinese. It's full of extreme conservatives who feel like since they are white and christian, they can say anything about anyone they feel is beneath them,
    so i told him since hes white he must play his banjo in his trailor white the cousin he married is in the kitchen making possum suprise..so yeah, i need a WAY more tactful way of handeling the situation.

IRONY! Get yours while it's hot and fresh! That is not how to do it.

^ +1 :]

She was trying to show him how silly he sounded saying racial slurs about someone...anyone!. DUH!

Some people...thick as s***!

No need for that! Now waddle off & untwist your knickers, dear.

Yes, actually there was a need for that. I'm sure you haven't experience racism time and time again on a regular basis as I (as someone of mixed race in a small town in Pennsylvania) have. You are just squawking, my frustration comes from day to day life. You don't even know how life in the US is for a minority in small towns filled with ignorance.

I do.
    I have not let the obvious intolerance and questionable ignorance change who I am though.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Racism exists everywhere. Well this also happen here in Manila, Philippines where I live right now although I know most Filipinos won't admit it but there are really some who are racists who make fun of Blacks, Indians & Chinese. I'm half Filipino-Mexican & my father's side family background is Spanish (Andalusian to be exact) but sometimes I hear negative comments especially among the brainwashed people about Hispanic people & mestizos being stereotyped as snobish, corrupt elites or traitors which are really offensive. Although I try my very best to be good. There was a time where some of my classmates even went as far as not considering me a Filipino at all because of my family background or simply because I don't look like an average Filipino.

I'm also wondering how to do it. I find it really tough to handle this thing because in my case it ruined my self-esteem, ego & my sense of belongingness which is why I don't have much friends here in real life & instead those I consider my true friends I found online, mostly Latinos.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i just ignore them, dont give them the attention they seek
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I get that, but I don't get why you would hit back at a racist with a racist/culturally derogatory comment aimed at them & not aimed at yourself if you mean it in a witty comeback way. It just seems wrong to fight one racist comment with another.
    'No, then you don't get that. Read it again.

She didn't hit back with a comment against them... she ran it down with a deprecating comment about herself. SHE was from the inbreedin', banjo-pickin' holler. She tore herself down as a way of saying that she didn't understand what would be so great about her upbrining and hometown as to make her write off a whole race of people simply based on how they were born. It just so happened that the racist in question shared her background - just not her capability for introspection.

There's no point where she turned to the racist and said "Shut it, hillbilly." That wouldn't work... 'cuz then the hillbilly just puffs his chest and wraps himself in Ol' Glory and says, "Yeah, I AM a hillbilly and I make this here nation great with mah Toby Keith songs and monster truck jams!" And then he's beaten you by doing exactly what I suggested.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    monster trucks are pretty sweet..
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You're never going to change most people let alone an old racist.

Either learn to deal with the ever-present bigotry or move. That'd be how I'd see it if I were in your position.
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Being Mexican, and a DARK Mexican at that, I have dealt with it for as long as I have lived in the US. A lot of it is how you carry yourself. Responding with another racist comment doesn't make it any better. Usually, I walk away. However, I was in a Walmart a while back, helping my mother shop for a vacuum. We were speaking Spanish, and an older couple was walking by. They lady said, rather loudly to her husband, "I don't know why those wetbacks can't learn English when they come to this country." It did set me off. So I turned to her and in English I said, "Excuse me ma'am, not only can I speak Spanish and English, but I probably speak them better than you. The next time you have a comment like that, I suggest you try not shouting it, so that the people you are offending don't hear it, or they may want to kick your *kitten*." Her husband practically launched her out of the aisle and said to her, "I told you to shut up." It was pretty funny, but sad that people can be so ignorant. Believe me, I have a lot of stories about this, what I have learned is either a funny witty response works, or just walk away. Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.