All u successful people: What are your top 3 tips for weight

Replies

• Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Started a diet in September 2011. I've lost 50 lbs so far. Diet is called Ideal Protein. (www.idealprotein.com)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Eat whatever you want...in moderation
    Drink whatever you want...in moderation
    Workout 5 days a week or less....under an hour each session
    Skip breakfast and sleep in...its better for you

Know the Big 3!
    TDEE
    BMR
    Body Fat %

If you dont you've already lost!
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    juice cleanse is the way to go!!!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

You have to want it!
  • bj6886
    bj6886 Posts: 60 Member
    My three are:

1. If what you're doing isn't working, try something new. I lost 7 lb after we got a Wii Fit... and stalled out. I started MFP, in addition to the Wii Fit, and lost some more... stalled out. I started going to Zumba class, lost more. So, whatever you're doing, when it stops working, take it to the next level somehow.

2. Figure out what your triggers are. I cannot eat French fries. I don't know why, but they are BAD for me. I can eat moderate amounts of chocolate; I can drink moderate amounts of soda. I cannot eat moderate amounts of French fries. Tortilla chips are almost as bad. I have had to give them up. For somebody else, it would probably be something else.

3. Find strategies that work in YOUR life. It's easy to say "Never eat out! Cook your meals at home!" but this is unrealistic for me. I have a husband and two kids, and even if they didn't mind being held hostage to my dietary needs, it would be utterly impractical for me to try to do that. A busy family life just doesn't allow that. So, I have developed coping strategies. Cutting restaurant meals in half brings most of them within reason, calorically. Not ordering fries is a huge help. Splitting meals with my daughter works sometimes. Sometimes, my family accommodates me by choosing a restaurant where I know I can get an appropriate meal. Other times, I accommodate them by doing the best I can manage at a place they want. I have learned to walk into Starbucks or an ice cream store and not order anything, or just get a bottle of water; they have learned not to question it, and certainly not to push me, if I say "None for me, thanks," so that I never have to muster the willpower to say it twice (I'm the only member of the household with a weight problem).

Best wishes to you!

This spoke to me especially figuring out what the triggers are!
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Bump
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Great ideas
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    1) Stick with it. I see so many people giving up and it infuriates me. Just stick with it. It WILL work. Don't cheat, you are only cheating yourself. Just count the calories and stick to it.
    2) Only you are accountable to yourself. Weightloss isn't about anyone else. Guilt is pointless. You are doing this for yourself and only you can do it. If you fall it's no one else's fault, it's just about you vs yourself.
    3) Be kind to yourself. When you have lost weight, buy a nice pair of jeans, or a floaty dress, or just some nail varnish. Have a goal and reward yourself for getting there. Self-loathing only leads to failure. New clothes make you feel your loss in a way nothing else does.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off.

1. Portion Control - Measuring my food was a big eye opener for me.
    2. The first 2 months of measuring and the change of diet we awful, but it ended and now I'm comfortable eating way less.
    3. I found that I was eating too many carbs and I've reduced pasta to 1/2 cup per meal, bread to an occasional (just a couple times a month). I don't even miss them. I used to eat a plate of pasta and had toast or english muffin for breakfast everyday. Now I eat oatmeal with fresh fruit and 2 T. of nuts.
    4. I look for recipes with a lot of flavor, few calories and great flavor (Flat Belly Diet worked for me).
    5. Drink water, even if it's just a little to begin with. It really helps.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    I don't eat anything at all 2 days out of 7 each week.

Yeah, that'll work. Just like anorexia, doin' drugs and smoking :huh:

Don't listen to this nonsense.

It does work, and there's nothing unhealthy about it - I would not compare it to anorexia, drugs or smoking. It is called Intermittent Fasting, I would do the research before declaring it nonsense.

I know what IF is thank you very much! And not eating for 2 days is NOT IF. YOU do your research lady. During IF you still eat once every 19 hours. Give me a break, you aren't fooling anybody. Sure you can lose tons of weight STARVING YOURSELF. I'd like to know what your body fat % is vs. lean muscle mass. I bet your body fat is through the roof! Skinny fat, anyone??? LOL
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member

It does work, and there's nothing unhealthy about it - I would not compare it to anorexia, drugs or smoking. It is called Intermittent Fasting, I would do the research before declaring it nonsense.

I don't have any desire to fast for 2 days out of 7, but I know people who use intermittent fasting techniques--it works for some people...however...just a suggestion for the future--when you're giving that kind of advice to someone who is obviously new to MFP like the OP, you might want to preface your post with "I do Intermittent Fasting." and then explain it a bit or post a link to where they could learn more about whether it is right for them...just telling someone you don't eat is going to raise a lot of eyebrows like this :huh:

Actually, I was going to suggest using intermittent fasting in order to break through certain deep seated patterns in dealing with food. That's how I used it and it is one of the contributing factors to making all this work. Sometimes, when I revert to old habits foodwise (which means I'm slowly starting to eat more than my body can handle and I see the scale creeping up slowly) I fast a few days using the LeanGains method (16 hour fast, 8 hour feeding window) and I reset myself. It is something I can always fall back on and it has helped me tremendously.

my other 2 tips are:

2. Keep logging and weigh and measure what you're eating
    3. First lose the weight by watchin caloric intake, then start exercising, upping intake again, and find exercise you feel passionately good about. For me it was long distance cycling and bikram yoga.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    I know what IF is thank you very much! And not eating for 2 days is NOT IF. YOU do your research lady. During IF you still eat once every 19 hours. Give me a break, you aren't fooling anybody.

You say that as if there is one and only one protocol for IF.

There isn't.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member

I know what IF is thank you very much! And not eating for 2 days is NOT IF. YOU do your research lady. During IF you still eat once every 19 hours. Give me a break, you aren't fooling anybody. Sure you can lose tons of weight STARVING YOURSELF. I'd like to know what your body fat % is vs. lean muscle mass. I bet your body fat is through the roof! Skinny fat, anyone??? LOL

agree, seen them skinny fat people, not nice.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    My weight loss has been very slow and inconsistent; with many gains, loses and weeks with neither. This last week has been particulary rough and I feel like I don't even know where to go from here or what the right choices are anymore. As a result, I found myself asking, "What are the people losing weight doing that I am not?" I would love to hear from all of you who are having success and are losing those pounds and inches. What are the top 3-5 things you have done to achieve successful and healthy weight loss?

Thanks everyone!!

I can tell you, for a while I was getting discouraged. I hit a snag this last month-- maybe two months. I was going from 150 to 152 back and forth, nothing was helping me lose. I experimented with eating back exercise calories, pushing my calories up to maintain weight, exercising more, exercising less. Nothing was working. Anyway, this last week I decided enough was enough and I sat down and really thought about what it was I started doing wrong. I noticed I'd been going out to eat a bit too much (more than I had in the last several months of using MFP). I also noticed in the beginning I was drinking more water and that my goal to drink 8 cups of water a day had diminished. So with that being said my tips would be:

1. Drink MORE water (actually track it)-- it makes a bigger difference than you'd think
    2. Really try as hard as you can to avoid eating out-- it gives you better control to eat at home making tracking calories more effective.
    3. Look back at the things you did to lose weight at the beginning of your journey. You might have fallen off track and not realized it. I know I got a little too comfortable and started eating out more often when at the beginning I avoided eating out like it was the plague.

Trust me you'll start losing again it takes being persistent and true to yourself. Don't give up!
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    1. MFP log in...religiously
    2. Limit sugars to 15g daily
    3. Vegan works for me for quick success (I do have fish occasionally)
    4. Lots of water!!
    5. Truvia!
    6. High fiber diet

15146268.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member

Obviously you don't know very much about IF, but never mind. Same goes for the "skinny fat" ridicule.
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    bump
  • MISSMILL3405
    MISSMILL3405 Posts: 23 Member
    1. Eat every two hours to keep the metabolism running.
    2. Drink LOTS of water
    3. Workout doing weightlifting first then cardio to burn more calories.
    4. Log anything and everything that goes in your mouth even on a cheat day (then make notes of how you feel, pretty sure you'll start seeing a pattern here).
    5. Always look for new low fat receipts so you don't get bored with your meals (especially if you are a picky eater like me:)
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    My biggest barrier to cross was that I felt okay with being hungry once in a while.

Anyway, these are some great suggestions :) You just made me log that extra pancake and cashew nuts I ate! Thanks.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member

Obviously you don't know very much about IF, but never mind. Same goes for the "skinny fat" ridicule.

I'm not going to argue what LEGITIMATE IF is. I know, I've done it before. But I certainly know an unhealthy starvation diet when I see one, and not eating for two days certainly falls under that category! It's a fact that losing weight too quickly due to starving yourself leads to muscle loss. Why create a huge deficit like that when you don't have to? I'll stick with my safe healthy deficit and keep losing 2 pounds a week, thanks. I'll also be more likely to keep the weight off when I am done. Now excuse me while I go have a snack! :bigsmile:
  • As a woman you must remember that your hormones fluctuate throughout the month and that can lead to water retention. That may mean you have a week where you don't lose or may even gain weight. This just happened to me during my last period. I was so frustrated. My trainer looked at my food log on here and even though I was at or below my calorie goals every day I had too much sodium in my diet. Then my trainer explained to me that period water gain and my high sodium consumption had led to me retaining too much water-thus no weight loss. I must really watch my sodium intake! I've been a salt-a-holic my whole life and am slowly learning to give it up. I am weight training 3 days a week and doing cardio 6-7 days a week. So lots of hard work, but I'm getting results. Plus make sure to drink lots of water or you won't lose especially if you are too high in sodium consumption. Check labels on foods there is so much hidden fat, salt, etc. Hope this helps!

P.S. The week after my period at my weigh-in with my trainer... 4+lbs lighter.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Top three are:
    1. Eat only whole foods/lean meats as a rule. If you are eating whole foods IN CORRECT PORTIONS, you won't have to concentrate as much on counting calories because it would be unlikely that you would go over your calories for the day. Also, whole foods are much more nutrient dense and will help your body to function more efficiently.
    2. There's no such thing as too much water....okay, well, maybe there is, but you'd have to drink an ungodly amount to get to that point. I would definitely say, with the exception of one or two glasses of fat free milk/day or the occasional fruit juice, drink nothing but water.
    3. DAILY exercise/activity. You don't necessarily have to do a full workout EVERY day, but try to get some sort of vigorous activity in your day for at least thirty minutes. In addition, make sure you are getting enough recovery/rest in between each workout as well.

If I were to add a fourth tip, I would say, Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep. Everyone is different, and I realize personal schedules determine, to some degree, how much sleep you can get each night. If possible you should try to get AT LEAST 7 hours of good sleep per night.
  • I forgot to say that I also purchased a digital food scale and that really helps too!
  • DL121004
    I'm not going to argue what LEGITIMATE IF is. I know, I've done it before. But I certainly know an unhealthy starvation diet when I see one, and not eating for two days certainly falls under that category!

Two days out of seven doesn't, by necessity, mean two continuous days.

Say your TDEE is 1750. 2 Days is 3500. Over a week, that is 500 per day. 1 pound of fat per week.
  • ajhart321
    ajhart321 Posts: 7 Member
    Stupid question maybe, but what is BUMP or what does it mean here?
  • DL121004

a) keeps the topic current
    b) a way for you to respond to a thread in order to have that thread show up in your "My Topics"
  • ajhart321
    ajhart321 Posts: 7 Member

a) keeps the topic current
    b) a way for you to respond to a thread in order to have that thread show up in your "My Topics"

Ok. Thanks!
  • I've lost 152 pounds in the past 2 years. I'm still losing. If I can do it, you can do it. It's easy, its free.
    Don't listen to those still inslaved by calorie counting. It doesn't work.
    It's all about what you should eat and what you should avoid, not how much you eat.

1. Cut out all wheat products. Whole grains are bad too.
    2. Cut out all sugars, even the so called natural sweeteners and especially the artificial sweeteners.
    3. Cut out most vegetable oils, like corn, soy, canola...
    4. Eat lots of good fats like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil.
    5. Eat lots of meat like beef, poultry, and fish. The fattest cuts are the best.
    6. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables.

You can't over eat on good healthy food.
    You will never have to count another calorie, ever.
    The weight will fall off.
    Your energy level will increase.

Check out my profile for my blog. I talk about my two year weight loss journey. A journey that began with the sudden death of my wife of 37 years to diet related causes.

Obesity causes many health problems, including heart disease, high blood pressure, liver disease, and strokes. Obesity can kill you by the things it causes!
    About 822 people a day, 300,000 a year die from obesity related illness.

On the day my wife died about 822 people died of the same thing that killed her.

We can't go on dong the same things and expect change. Stop worrying about calories and eat right.
  • I only have 1 tip. Because all the methods in the world wont work with this one factor.

1.) DESIRE
    You need to make yourself want this fat-loss more then you have ever wanted anything in your life. More then the donuts. More then the fast food. More then sleep. More then everything else. Where food before may have been an obsession, your goal weight must become that obsession. It must be the most important thing in your life.
    Envision yourself in 5 years without losing the weight (and probably gaining some) and feel how oppressive it will be, now 10 years, now 20 years, now 30, 40, 50 (if you live that long without change).
    Now envision a new you in 5 years, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. See all the things you can have and be. Feel how it will affect your life. Now list all the things you will gain from it and all the things you will lose from not doing it.
    If you ground your conscious and subconscious in this idea; this fact that the most important thing in your life is healthy eating; that being a strong and fit person is your greatest desire, then your you will subconsciously make it happen. It will be so easy for you to avoid the crap.
    When you truly decide on something and make it the most important decision to you, your entire body will work to make it come true.
    If you aren't making progress you haven't truly decided.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    1. Make small lifestyle changes over time. Trying to toss everything out and hit the ground running is really hard. Little things like switching to whole wheat bread and walking 30 minutes even once a week get you started down the road to a healthier you.
    2. Understand that it does take time and falling off the wagon is okay as long and you climb right back up.
    3. Stay away from haters. Surround yourself with people and situations that will support you. Forgo the potluck or the happy hour until you are sure you can control youself.