"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Options

Replies

• raindropwishes
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.

AMEN! AMEN AND ANOTHER AMEN!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-)

What's the point in attacking other people for their bad grammar & then telling them not to attack you for your bad grammar (which you have displayed on this post)?
    Ridiculous & petty.
    Some people have learning difficulties, you never know.

spot on, I do not understand why it's so irratating, we are not here to improve our grammer, just ourselfs ;-)
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    hahaha!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I picked up the word monies from economics and finance textbooks. It is also in real dictionaries so apparently it is a real word. Why would you say it isn't? Just not common outside of the world of finance most likely.

yep! monies is a real word!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

Ya know [sic] - I realize that language evolves. It just happens.

But to blatantly ignore correct usage because you're TOO DAMNED LAZY to learn the correct stuff? Inexcusable.

Or, to put it in layman's terms: STFU N00B.
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I love this... :)
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-)

What's the point in attacking other people for their bad grammar & then telling them not to attack you for your bad grammar (which you have displayed on this post)?
    Ridiculous & petty.
    Some people have learning difficulties, you never know.

spot on, I do not understand why it's so irratating, we are not here to improve our grammer, just ourselfs ;-)

Exactly :]
  • katwj76
    katwj76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lets-Eat-Grandma.jpg

Note: Not one period at the end of either sentence. Irony.

Love this! There's also another one that is baby seals on a dance floor that says "Stop clubbing, baby seals!". Cracks me up
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

That used to bug me when I first moved to America (born and raised in Leicestershire, UK), but after a while I started kind of liking it. The extra 'U' really isn't necessary when you get down to it. It doesn't change the inflection of the spoken or written word. I'm cool with that.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    Haha! I LOVE THIS!!! My biggest pet peeve is when people PURPOSELY misspell words, like YUH instead of YOU. Seriously?? How hard is it to spell YOU correctly? COME ON!!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Spell Check has made me stoopid.

I'm just glad I don't have to write things out by hand. Computers have destroyed my penmanship. Oh and my laziness. Computers and laziness have destroyed my penmanship.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Seriously. You accept "ur" as proper grammar in a post, but get upset about it's instead of its, or too instead of to?

Seriously?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    So the point is....you are complaining about use of grammar while butchering it yourself?

Besides the fact that this topic has been beaten to death like an old gray mare, you might get people to take you a bit more seriously if your own post correcting people wasn't fraught with errors and issues. But that's just my opinion.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad I don't have to write things out by hand. Computers have destroyed my penmanship. Oh and my laziness. Computers and laziness have destroyed my penmanship.

Oh - wow. Good thing you clarified.

I thought for a second that computers had destroyed your laziness and I was rather impressed! :wink:
  • 28aitch28
    Options
    Ooohh, don't get me started; I am a Grammar Nazi by profession! The one that really gets to me is when people mix up "me" and "I". For example: "Are you coming to the shop with David and I?", when it should be "David and me". The rule is always: take the other person out of your sentence and see if it still makes sense with just you in it. We wouldn't say "Are you coming to the shop with I?", would we? Unless you are Yoda; then you are forgiven... :flowerforyou:
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Licence in the context of Poetic Licence should have a C not an S as you used because it's NOT a verb in that context.

Just saying!!!
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Something I've only come across since moving to NC is people that think "license" (as in driver's license) is plural because it ends with an "s" sound:

"May I see your driver's license?"

"Hold on, I'll get them."

"What?"
    That is just plain Southernese! For example: y'all is singular & all y'all is plural! LOL!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

That used to bug me when I first moved to America (born and raised in Leicestershire, UK), but after a while I started kind of liking it. The extra 'U' really isn't necessary when you get down to it. It doesn't change the inflection of the spoken or written word. I'm cool with that.

Color confuses me as there's a shop where I used to live called 'Color' & it's pronounced "Co-lore/Co-law" so when I'm reading something written in American English I sometimes have to stop & tell myself that it says 'colour'.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Fred77. It's not like we're grading papers here. Time and a place for everything.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    money is already plural. it is a plural noun.

one would not say "I have 1 money." or "I have 2 monies."

Funk and Wagnalls would disagree with you as would Merriam-Webster. They show "moneys" and "monies" as the plural of money. While you are correct that you don't say 1 money or 2 monies, you do say something like "Bob's money" or "the collective monies of various estates." The term "monies" appears often in financial/business/economic circles.