"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Something I've only come across since moving to NC is people that think "license" (as in driver's license) is plural because it ends with an "s" sound:

"May I see your driver's license?"

"Hold on, I'll get them."

"What?"

YEAH. And what about those people who only want one scissor instead of the pair?
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

That used to bug me when I first moved to America (born and raised in Leicestershire, UK), but after a while I started kind of liking it. The extra 'U' really isn't necessary when you get down to it. It doesn't change the inflection of the spoken or written word. I'm cool with that.

I feel that way about programme vs. program. I work with international documents, and programme always gets caught by spell check. How's a gal supposed to slack off by just cutting and pasting when I have to go back and change all the words? It's like the world is conspiring against me to make me pay attention and do my job.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think with many, and I know with me, that I often see that I have used the wrong word when keyboarding(which in my day was called typing). I have a lot of trouble with hitting the right key and have to go back and correct. I often find in proof reading that I have used the wrong word. Most of the time I KNOW that I have done this and correct it. I find it annoying that there is NOT an EDIT button for posts. I sometimes just leave the mistake because I do not wish to delete and retype.

But, I think it is NOT the intended purpose of this website. Using correct grammar or butchering it will NOT make any difference in whether you lose weight or not. I am more interested in having a friend that encourages me along the way of my journey of "loosing" or losing. Because really the fat has to "Loose" before I lose it.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

Hahha I am in Canada and spell it with the "ur" and not just "or" ... I did have a prof in University make a comment on one of my papers that I was the first student he had in almost 12 years that spelled the words that way and he gave me extra marks because of it lol, I was of course one of the oldest people in the class but still.

I am not even goin to touch the grammatical/spelling debate with a 10 foot pole, it looks like everything I would have to say has been said, but can we please pick a new topic to pick on this one is getting really old.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    'Loose' and 'lose' is definitely my peeve. I have discovered that chanting and rocking back and forth helps ease the pain. Preaching didn't help, name-calling fell on deaf ears, and even the screaming I did seemed to garner a negative reaction. I guess if people don't mind APPEARING STUPID, then its up to me to get over how much it bothers ME! :ohwell:
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have dyslexia and I struggle with spelling and reading words correctly every day, but my biggest pet peeve is the incorrect usage of there, their, and they're. Seriously, THERE is a difference!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The way kids talk now-a-days and some of the texts and fb messages I see....the difference between loose and lose is the least of my concerns. To err is human. Now if a message says "Luvn life righ na fo sho bra" Then I have a small stroke but I wouldn't get my undies in a bundle over a few slight grammatical mistakes.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.

LOL! Good one!

Lose and Loose is an annoyance. On a diet website it becomes a constant annoyance. I know I have some annoying grammatical habits, but since they don't annoy me, I couldn't begin to tell you what they are.

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Within ten years, all UK and Irish people will be spelling words the American way because of spell check. I notice that younger people spell realise with a Z, organise with a Z and so on. In fact, they probably even say Zee not Zed.

Other words, such as 'traveling' or 'counseling' with only one l, once upon a time tutors would have said that's an error. But now even tutors in Ireland (at least the ones I've had) seem not to know how to call it when students use an American spelling. They might shrug and just let it go without a comment. So, honestly folks in the uk and Ireland, our grandchildren will be saying 'my grandma still spells organise with an s, ha ha ha'.

But as for licence/license and practice/practise, DON'T tell me that that's American English! it is not!!! It's WRONG, even in America it is wrong too. *** make a little note to self OP
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    alot = a lot
    grrrrrr
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a grammar Nazi. I judge you if I see you messing up on basic grammar things. Drives me insane!

Possessive/plural 'S' drives me mad
    Your/You're....get it right people.
    Their/There/They're Come on!
    Text speak just makes me think you are stupid. Yes, even on texts.

I'm a little ashamed at how harsh I judge people over their grammar but seriously it makes you look so uneducated. Anyway, those are my pet peeves that come to mind.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I'm from the UK & I have to disagree with this, American English & the English Language have their differences because they are, whadda ya know, different!

Lighten up......the smiley after the comment was intended to show I was joking!!!!
    A little note: Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.

No, but superciliousness translates just fine...

I'm not being arrogant at all, so no, it obviously doesn't translate "just fine".
    I was thinking more patronising.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    @dottienewton. lol at keyboarding for typing! i haven't heard that one. that's funny. But five years ago, we used to cringe when anybody said playdate. Now it has just passed into vocabulary and it doesn't raise an eyebrow anymore.

Honestly we will ALL end up speaking in American accents and we will all end up spelling the American way. It is inevitable.
  • Mark_
    Mark_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When people say nuke-you-ler instead of nuclear or jew-la-ry instead of jewelry
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Honestly we will ALL end up speaking in American accents and we will all end up spelling the American way. It is inevitable.

Or Chinese.

(See "Firefly" and "Serenity")
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping you Uncle jack off a horse!!!!!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Within ten years, all UK and Irish people will be spelling words the American way because of spell check. I notice that younger people spell realise with a Z, organise with a Z and so on. In fact, they probably even say Zee not Zed.

As it happens, spelling with the 'z' is the original English way. The Americans kept it, but we migrated to using an 's' instead, so if anyone is correct it's kind of them... :/
  • Mark_
    Mark_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping you Uncle jack off a horse!!!!!

^^ Laughing My *kitten* Off ( afraid to use LMAO in this thread, LOL... oops... laugh out loud.)
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

BUMP!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    What an original thread.