When someone calls you "woman"

Options

Replies

• bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I guess the context is really what bothers me but I HATE, HATE, HATE when I am at work and someone older than me calls me "young lady." I am in a fairly high corporate position with my company and I have worked really hard to get to where I am in my early thirties. I am at least 5 years younger than the next person holding the same position. I want to come through the phone (they never dare say it to my face) thunder punch them in the thyroid and yell, "I bet you wish you a little younger now don't ya old timer?!?!" ARGH!:explode:
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Why would you post an inside joke all over a public forum? The only thing i can come up with is to get attention.

Probably, since all the OP said was ":flip:" :huh:
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    Why would you post an inside joke all over a public forum? The only thing i can come up with is to get attention.

Probably, since all the OP said was ":flip:" :huh:

:flup:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    No lol My boyfriend calls me woman all the time, it's usually followed by "make me a sandwich" or "do the laundry". :laugh: It's a joke to us though.

My husband does this too! haha. He loves to say "make me a sandwich" because he knows how much it irritates me, lol.

See, now I just make a theatrical gesture with my hands and say "POOF!!! You're a sandwich!"
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I won't slap a ***** but I won't hesitate to shake one!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole post but WTF does :flip: mean? really I have no clue.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Also, I see you say "Flip" a lot....wth are you talking about?
    It's apparently an inside joke... :huh:

I was thinking along the lines of "hair flip" or "flipping the bird". Short for "flippant" maybe?
    :ohwell: I guess as long as she doesn't "flip" me, I'm not too worried about it.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    It infuriates me like no other :mad:

Don't even get me started on being called, "lady" though. :grumble:

This!!^
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    join the military...then you can be called "Female" for at least 8 weeks. "what you lookin at female," "hey, female, come here." I'll take woman anyday

I gotta go make my master a sammich now!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    so is the correct order

:flip: :*kitten*: :*kitten*: :*kitten*: :spoosh: :flop: ?
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The thing that drives me crazy is when someone I don't know calls me honey or sweetie-pie. It usually happens at the office, and I will express my disapproval to them. Then I introduce myself and ask them to call me by my name. There's a particular client who always comes in and speaks to the women in the office in that manner. The men have first names. The women are all named "hun". Annoying!!!!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lm98742afh1qibib0o1_250.gif
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I worked doing personal care in house for some older folks ...Their live in support worker would call me flower..Hey flower good morning..or nice to see ya flower. I didn't know what the hell to think of it ..I didn't care for it and asked her once why she said it ...what it meant ...She said it was just something she always said. I pretty much ignored it thinking it must be an English(England) term of some kind...But it erk'd the ish outta me ...If it meant fragile like a flower because i'm a woman ...she had me pegged wrong!

Hi, female.

better than flower :ohwell: I dunno how flower became a term for female ...pretty sure she was British or something ..had quite an accent ...she said it everytime she spoke to me. Can you give the meds flower, are you trained for it? Do you have children flower? A few times I said have you forgotten my name???? ..I mean it's Ginger ..spice..root... flower ..FACK ! I dunno .. Good thing she was older than me I couldn't tell my elder to STFU! But I came close lol
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options
    I don't like being called "ma'am" or a "c**t" (obviously) but otherwise I really don't care.

As far as how I talk to other people? Probably about the same regardless of their age.

Ok....why is "Ma'am" off limits? Gonna have to explain that one to me. I was raised seeing it as a mark of respect. Older women, younger women.... If I am not using their name, they are ma'am to me. Haven't really ever thought of an alternate term.
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    Well I can't complain about what I get called ... when the male species gets on my nerves I call them people with penis-es ....

Such as.. Fack !!! People with penises get on my nerves.....

How in hell do you type penis 's ??

:grumble:
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    my husband calls me woman, and it's ok. Now if he called me dear, i would not be happy.

My dad used to call my mom dear when she was being unreasonable or just a pain...so I have bad vibes with that.
    my Uncle used to call his wife woman, and it was a term of endearment, you could tell they really loves each other and it was sweet.

my husband knows this and therefore calls me woman, although sometimes I believe he does it because he likes the look on other peoples faces, waiting to see if I kill him....:laugh:

That's funny. I'm the exact opposite. I love being called, "Dear."

Or even better "deer" (they have thin legs, amirite?)

My SO wears a shirt that says

"Yes Dear,
    I'm Sorry Dear,
    You right Dear"

My brother bought him that!! LOL
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Well I figured if i said the OP was an obnoxious attention *kitten* I would get scolded. So i played it all coy like.

Gosh, who pissed in your wheaties this morning.. left out of an inside joke and you have to set all sassy and stuff.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Also, I see you say "Flip" a lot....wth are you talking about?
    It's apparently an inside joke... :huh:

I was thinking along the lines of "hair flip" or "flipping the bird". Short for "flippant" maybe?
    :ohwell: I guess as long as she doesn't "flip" me, I'm not too worried about it.

I :flip: everyone! Especially my lady friends. :flip:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I don't like being called "ma'am" or a "c**t" (obviously) but otherwise I really don't care.

As far as how I talk to other people? Probably about the same regardless of their age.

Ok....why is "Ma'am" off limits? Gonna have to explain that one to me. I was raised seeing it as a mark of respect. Older women, younger women.... If I am not using their name, they are ma'am to me. Haven't really ever thought of an alternate term.

You must be from the south..... I can explain that.
    In most of the country, calling a woman "ma'am" is like calling her old. or being snotty/rude. Its not a proper term.
    However in the south, its something stupid ya'll still do. :p

When I was 12 my family moved from new england down to South Carolina.... Since I was 12 I would constantly be yelled at for not saying ma'am... lol
    Someone would ask a question,
    Id reply: "Yes"
    Female Adult: "Yes What?"
    Me: "..."
    Me: "Uhh, huh?"
    Female Adult: "You mean Yes Ma'am!"
    Me: "uhh ok."
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

You must be from the south..... I can explain that.
    In most of the country, calling a woman "ma'am" is like calling her old. or being snotty/rude. Its not a proper term.
    However in the south, its something stupid ya'll still do. :p

When I was 12 my family moved from new england down to South Carolina.... Since I was 12 I would constantly be yelled at for not saying ma'am... lol
    Someone would ask a question,
    Id reply: "Yes"
    Female Adult: "Yes What?"
    Me: "Uhh, huh?"
    Female Adult: "You mean Yes Ma'am!"
    Me: "uhh ok."
    Exactly. I am *not* from the South (southwest - AZ - but that's not at all the same thing).

I am a 27 year old woman. My hair is not gray. Gravity has not yet caused my chest to droop low enough to sit on my lap.

I am not a "ma'am" yet.

Acceptable alternatives: "Miss" or even "Hey you"