Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    PW_200_A12228E_WINEY.jpg

LOL Bronx, I ♥ U! Too eff'n funny
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion, losing weight is a challenge for all people who are overweight. If weight loss was easy, none of us would be overweight, huh?

When someone is at the point of having to have the lap band or the bariatric surgery, it's because they are morbidly obese and NOTHING else has worked. It's not the easy way out. Personally, I have tried a lot of things to lose weight and if I were a candidate, I'd opt for the lap band, too. It's not like she's laying around and snacking on the couch just shedding the weight away. It take hard work and effort. PERIOD.

Anyone that makes the effort to strive for a healthy lifestyle should be commended. As far as her "fishing for compliments", perhaps she finally feels good about herself after all the weight that she's lost. How would you feel if you were the one that lost all that weight and you were proud of yourself (as you should be) and someone tried to take that away from you by saying that you were fishing for compliments? That's not very nice.

I don't think anyone one should take that feeling away from anyone that has fought the weight loss battle and won. We're all in this together. Put away the cattiness and learn how to be supportive.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine from high school (not anyone I’m close to anymore) posted a picture of herself wearing pants much too big for her (you know, the typical weight loss pic, stretching out the waist to show the difference). Under the pic was the caption, “So, I’ve lost over a hundred pounds, what have you been up to?”
    I happen to know that my friend had lap band surgery (which she failed to mention in the caption). I feel like she’s fishing for compliments, which I would be more than happy to give out if she had worked hard and lost the weight on her own. I’m really annoyed that she’s bragging about weight loss when all she did was choose to have unnecessary and invasive elective surgery. Or maybe I’m just annoyed that I’ve been working my butt off for a few lousy pounds.
    What do you think?

Just because she had the surgery doesn't mean that she hasn't worked her *kitten* off also..............

Are you drinking haterade today???????
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had a "sleeve" a little over a year ago, and I'm part of her facebook group with a lot of WLS patients. She's worked for and earned every pounds she lost, same as I did. She exercises like mad, is meticulous about her nutrition, same as I am. The only difference is, when she did all the same things before her surgery, it didn't work for her. After the surgery, it did.

I'm happy at how happy she is in her body now. Not only in how she looks, but her blood pressure and blood glucose are normal again.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    Eh, I'm with you on this one. She's bragging while cheating, with a touch of condescension. Very unflattering.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I didn't read the OP, just the title. If you have to ask, probably.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was slightly annoyed at someone that was bragging about weight loss and clearly hiding the fact that she had "help"
    I didn't make a nasty remark to her about it, I didn't say anything to anyone else about it (part of the reason I posted here is because I didn't want to talk to any mutual friends about it) I don't hate her, I'm not going to dwell on it.
    I never said I was informed on the subject, I don't care to be, I don't feel that surgery is the answer.
    Maybe she had to work hard for it, but seeing as how she lost 100 lbs in a few months, she probably didn't work as hard as most people so to lose the same amount.

So I'm a petty b*tch sometimes, who isn't? :tongue:

It seems to me that if you aren't informed on the subject and don't care to be, and further have decided that that surgery is not the answer for anyone, I can't figure out why you asked. Surgery may not be the answer for you, it's not for me, but It is certainly no easier, not one teeny tiny bit easier, than what you are doing, THAT I can assure you, and you're a crappy friend if you don't graciously tell her how nice she looks. THIS post changes my feelings on the subject entirely. If you don't know better and don't WANT to know better, that's different.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Lap band is easy? Really? Oh, my two cents says you may not be a *****, but you sure are acting like one...
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Ok, so I was slightly annoyed at someone that was bragging about weight loss and clearly hiding the fact that she had "help"
    I didn't make a nasty remark to her about it, I didn't say anything to anyone else about it (part of the reason I posted here is because I didn't want to talk to any mutual friends about it) I don't hate her, I'm not going to dwell on it.
    I never said I was informed on the subject, I don't care to be, I don't feel that surgery is the answer.
    Maybe she had to work hard for it, but seeing as how she lost 100 lbs in a few months, she probably didn't work as hard as most people so to lose the same amount.

So I'm a petty b*tch sometimes, who isn't? :tongue:

Well I think if you have to ask if your one, then you are. Honestly its not any of your business HOW she got to where she is. All that matters is that she got there. If you spend more time focusing on YOU then maybe YOU would get there. I personally think you took the cowards way out and came to a weight loss/fitness related website to complain about someone losing weight (how smart was that) and you didn't get the feedback that you wanted. Shut up, stop whining and mind your business and get your life straight.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You should cut her some slack about having surgery since you apparantly are not informed on the subject. I have a lapband and I can tell you first hand it does not make the weight magically fall off. All it does is help you control your portions. You still have to eat right and exercise to lose weight. If I were to eat fast food or junk food all the time I would still gain weight even with the band. The band is a tool to help a persone lose weight just like the exercise machines we use. It does nothing all on its own, it's up to the user to use it properly to make it work.
    Now as for the by-pass surgery, a person can lose weight with it by doing nothing because the body can not absorb all the nutrients consumed because of the re-routing of the intestines. This can last forever in some people but for others the afftect eventually slows down and they regain weight unless they eat right and exercise.
    So for this person you know to have lost a hundred pounds you should be congratulating her for her hard work not belittling her. Like I said in my profile...Lapband surgery is not cheating! You have no idea how hard it really is.
    You have to work hard to KEEP the weight off but not to lose it. I have seen or heard of very few people who actually put in the work to keep it off. I know of ONE here on MFP and she is amazing I know of a few people in real life who have continued with the same eating habits and gained back more. Some people here on MFP are here for that same reason- they are losing it naturally because the surgery just made them lose then gain.

ANYONE can lose weight with diet and exercise. I have multiple friends on here who have lost 100-200lbs with NO surgery. Surgery on your stomach isn't going to fix the issues in your head that cause weight gain.

I'm gonna agree with the OP, and I'll admit I can be a *****.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Oh I think your thoughts and feelings are normal. The fact that you did not post or act on them does not make you a *****. I used to think the same way. My mom had lap band and she lost so much weight. One of my friends has the gastric bypass and I see how much work has gone into it. I never really considered it even at my heaviest at 381. I am down a little bit now by hard work but I don't want to be cut into. I KNOW I can do this on my own and YES it will feel great to know that I did. But those who didn't think they could need support and love.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    how was she hiding it? did she have it captioned that she had lost 100lb thru diet and exercise only?

no she didnt hide it she just didnt feel it necissary to tell the whole world and his wife her personal buisness
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    All women are *****es.

:D
  • judykritikos
    Options
    uh....actually yeah, it does. She obviously needed to loose it and did. So she chose a different way. Your way is harder and takes discipline, but that doesn't take away from her loss - and MUCH better health. having 3 CLOSE friends who've done it - I would NEVER do it. I can't give up all the things you have to give up once you do the surgery. So - it won't be easy for her just because her weight is dropping. Be happy for her - be proud of yourself. And - if YOU'VE lost significant weight - be loud and proud. Just don't go on ad nauseum, cuz then I'll get tired of hearing yours, too! lol
  • judykritikos
    Options
    oh yeah - one more thing....you can have ANY FEELING that you want. What you DO with them is another story.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    All women are *****es.

Yes, yes they are. :D

I should clarify that I think all men are *kitten* too.

Catch people at the wrong time and EVERYONE is an asshat.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You might be. For those not in the know, the lap band and gastric bypass surgeries are not for sissies. The postoperative regimen is grueling on what they can and cannot eat and they end up with dozens of complications. It is not an easy way out. Lots of people do not have that kind of weight loss even following the surgery and lots of people don't keep it off but end up miserable because of the serious changes to the body. So, don't be *****y. Technically, we have it easier because we can eat without vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Maybe she is fishing but aren't we all? Every time we make a comment about ourselves, isn't it because we want someone to day "good job," "atta girl", etc.? Isn't that why these social sites are so popular because we can get encouragement and compliments from complete strangers that we don't get from home? Isn't that why you felt compelled to write this? you feel better than her and you want that to be validated here by a bunch of anonymous strangers?

Lighten up and live your life. Don't judge others and don't be *****y. It isn't becoming.
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options
    As long as you weren't the one typing " Didn't you get a procedure done to lose those 100 pounds? " then no you are not a b****. Just keep doing what you're doing and focus on bettering yourself. In the end you'll have defined muscles and I'm sure your legs will look hell of a lot better in that dress and those new heels when you are done ;)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    oh yeah - one more thing....you can have ANY FEELING that you want. What you DO with them is another story.

THIS - FINALLY a voice of reason!

Feelings come and go. Have your feelings and move on which apparently thats what you have done.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    All women are *****es.

Not all of us are, but yea... generally... women are *****es.