have any of you took the depo shot???? HELP!!

Options

Replies

• TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I took it years ago and gained ALOT of weight! I was also on mirena and gained 30lbs in 2mths! After my last child I opted for a tubal haha!
  • jry823
    jry823 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on it twice. I didn't gain the weight others have reported. I gained mine the old fashion way- more food + more stagnation. Using the diary here to track what you eating and remaining honest with your intake is a pretty good way to avoid the gain.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think whether you gain weight or not is totally dependent upon the individual and their body chemistry... for some it makes them gain weight like crazy and for others not so much...
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was on for a couple years and steadily gained. It's not the shot that makes you gain, it's your increased appetite. I might have gained anyway (cause I continued to do so even after I stopped Depo). If you monitor your calories you can control it.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 8 years and had severe bone mass loss. I was told (by my doctor) to tell everyone I know not to take it!
  • mebemini2012
    Options
    I've been on it for a long time not sure how long, but it's a mindset thing. I didn't gain anything. I have continued to lose weight and will. I believe its the choices you make and what kinds of foods you eat.
    Also, with all medication it reacts diffrently so maybe I'm just an the exception.

Not the exception. I also lost weight while on it and I was on it for 7 years.

Well its good to know I'm not alone and prove to others you can still lose while on it!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of going on it as well. I asked my doctor about the weight gain thing and she said that it is the same with half the pills out there. It tends to make you crave things or give you the munchies. The pill itself doesn't make you put the pounds on but it is the foods and how much you are eating. So has it just made your appetite go crazy? Do you find yourself eating the same that you were before or are you eating more? I am super curious because I have been debating this in my head for like 4 months now and I am just scared. I am soooo close to my goal weight.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did for 15 years- I can answer almost any question you have about it- feel free to friend me or sned me a message!
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    I am a birth control health educator and can tell you that research has proven that Depo will make you more hungry. It is the only birth control that can cause you to gain weight. But as the person above stated it is the choices you make about food that will effect you. If you pick healthy snacks and continue to workout and have a generally healthy diet you should be fine. Or pick another birth control method.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am glad I did not go with the depo shot.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I have been on it for 7 years. In the beggining, I lost weight. After about a year, I definitely put on weight. But, the good news is, you will lose it just by counting calories. My doctor told me if I stopped, I would drop the 15 lbs. Im working on losing pretty quickly. However, I have endometriosis, therefore it's basically pain management for me, I won't give it up.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for a long time not sure how long, but it's a mindset thing. I didn't gain anything. I have continued to lose weight and will. I believe its the choices you make and what kinds of foods you eat.
    Also, with all medication it reacts diffrently so maybe I'm just an the exception.

Not the exception. I also lost weight while on it and I was on it for 7 years.

Yup, I didn't gain and in fact have lost about 20 lbs. :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any weird cravings or any case of the munchies when I was on it. I was eating what I always ate, was playing sports twice a week. The only thing that changed was the fact I was on Depo. As someone else said, everyone reacts differently. When you mess with hormones anything can happen :laugh:
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    WARNING: LOSS OF BONE MINERAL DENSITY
    Women who use Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection may lose significant bone mineral density. Bone loss is greater with increasing duration of use and may not be completely reversible.

It is unknown if use of Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection during adolescence or early adulthood, a critical period of bone accretion, will reduce peak bone mass and increase the risk for osteoporotic fracture in later life.

Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection should not be used as a long-term birth control method (i.e., longer than 2 years) unless other birth control methods are considered inadequate. (See Warnings and Precautions (5.1)).
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use the shot as contraception, and after research and talking with my doctor, I believe you only gain weight on it because you may have an increase in appetite. This can happen with other contraception too. I have not gained weight due to the shot.
  • katermoody
    Options
    I took 3 doses 16 years ago and for me personally caused significant weight gain and horrible moodiness...I am still struggling to get back to my typical weight...
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    I was on Depo from 1992-2000 with no noticable weight gain. But It was also between the ages of 14-22 so I don't think I would of noticed unless it was drastic.
  • ribosome42
    Options
    I get the depo injection and I have the mirena coil (ENDOMETRIOSIS IS HELL!). I've put on 42lbs since I started on them about a year ago. It does make you more hungry, so you have to watch what you're eating. It makes dieting harder but don't let it stop you.
  • Caobrien11
    Caobrien11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently on something similar(same hormone). I have gained 30 pounds in the last 7 months, but my doctor said that if I am mindful of what I eat get enough exercise that I should be just fine.
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after my first child on the depo.. 45 lbs to be exact... after I lost my second child I went back on it. Lost close to 50 lbs being on it with diet and exercise. After my last child I'm on it again. I've gained weight.. but by my own doing (stress eating). The only thing I'm having a hard time with is losing the weight quickly. Normally by the end of my second month I'd have lost close to 15 lbs. I JUST lost my 7th pound. The depo can make it hard to lose weight but it is possible.