have any of you took the depo shot???? HELP!!

Options

Replies

• lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I took this shot 16 yrs ago when it was new. I didn't gain any weight on it, but I was a horrendous b*t*c* on it! It made me very moody! Also I now have a 15 yr old son, obviously it didn't work for me! LOL
  • 4megan
    Options
    I say to all of you who is on the shot get off of it do your research it causes breast cancer and it is deadly.I Past out because I couldn't stop bleeding and almost had to get a blood transfusion my hair was falling out I Felt like I was pregnant it was just so bad but good luck to you if you stay on it and the doctors not Gona tell u it causes breast cancer I look it up my self on line.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the depo shot for the second time now. I didn't gain any weight the first time I was on, and actually lost a good bit of weight. Of course, I was working full time and caring for my son basically on my own, so I didn't have a lot of time to eat, and I was always moving. This time, I didn't really gain weight, but I didn't lose any of the baby weight from my second child. I am still on the shot because my Essure didn't take on one side, and I still have to have a tubal done, and I've already lost 7 pounds, and at least 4 of those pounds were in the first 2 weeks after my most recent shot. You just have to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth to keep from gaining.
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs in a month and bled for 9 months straight.. even though I only had 1 shot. I will never go near that stuff again!
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been on it a few times and have had mixed things happen. The first time I lost over 3 stone, but I had split with my boyfriend in that time also. I just didn't eat much at all. The next time I was on it, i gained weight BUT I didn't eat healthy either. I think a lot of blame goes on the pills and depos and such, when most of the time (I'm not saying all the time because hormones can definitely affect every person differently) we aren't eating as healthily as we should be and we contribute to the weight.

I don't blame the depo or pill for my weight gain, i blame the pizza, take aways and chocolate.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's bad! I got it one time and gained over 40 pounds! Try something else! The pill or something different! Good luck!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for a long time not sure how long, but it's a mindset thing. I didn't gain anything. I have continued to lose weight and will. I believe its the choices you make and what kinds of foods you eat.
    Also, with all medication it reacts diffrently so maybe I'm just an the exception.

Not the exception. I also lost weight while on it and I was on it for 7 years.
    I was on it for 2 years and i didnt gain anything. I think it all depends on how active you are and how your diet is.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for over a year and gained a little bit of weight but was spotting the entire time I was on it!!! I've been using the NuvaRing for the past year and it's the best thing I've tried :)
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi just to let you know I did put on a couple of pounds but did lose 30 pounds at the time of injection I wasn't trying to lose weight but it came off during along as you are active I don't really think it matters I've had the depo injection for last 4 years
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second term of being in Depo I was told that yes I would gain weight, but that was the day I decided I would do something about my weight and have had no issue losing weight either.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo for 9 months now, only just stopped having periods (thankfully) but I havent noticed any weight gain and I'm still managing to lose weight as well. I was on microgynon (tablets) for several years before this, but was having very irregular periods, but again, didnt really notice any weight gain (out of the ordinary anyways)! I guess it varies for different people
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've gained soooo much weight due to the shot - i gained 60lbs at least before I got off of it :(
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I took the depo shot twice. In that six month period, I gained over 20lbs and did not change my eating habits or my exercise habits. The weight gain is what made me decide to stop getting the shot. I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone. It's really too bad because it's a fantastic method of birth control.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was on it twice before and it stopped my periods but I never gained any weight on it. Of course I was working out like crazy and running 2 miles every other day (Army) but I didnt gain anything.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My mom took it years ago and she literally gained 30 lbs in 2 months! She jogged twice a day and ate a strict diet. She went back to the dr and he told her this happens all the time. For some reason no matter how hard she worked that weight didn't come off for a while. I think it took her like a year. Sorry...I am not trying to be discouraging I am just telling you what I know happened to my mom. I have never taken it.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the insight! I will continue to fight the food munchies and be very mindful of my eating. I'm just going to get my tubes tied! lol! then i wont have to worry about any hormones from a shot, or pill or any other form.

got my tubes tied too, it was my only alternative since any bc (other than condoms and sponges) that wouldnt kill me. i had no idea some of these bc's could cause weight gain! i am forever thankful i cant take them lol
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I was on it for years and never gained anything.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I can't say I gained weight, I can't remember back that far.... but I had a whole slew of other problems and don't recommend it myself.
    I would bleed for 8 weeks straight, with 3 off before starting over. I had mood swings like noones business, hot & cold flashes, I was paranoid. And all that stopped when I went off of it onto a birth control pill.

Good luck to you!
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I had the opposite effect on birth control. I actually lost 15lbs while on depo but I had to switch to the pill because it wasn't the right BC for me. I'm trying to get pregnant this year, so I stopped taking birth control 8 months ago.

Since I stopped being on the the pill started gaining 10lbs in 6 months. The weight gain was a slow creep and I didn't even notice it until my clothes started getting a little tight.

I upped my workout from 3x a week to 5x a week. It stopped the weight gain and I am now working on my diet to lose weight.
  • ZivaDivasMomma
    Options
    I take depo, have been using it since I was 13, to help with the irregularity of my periods, I have not gained weight in the years I've used it and I am know 26 years of age. I didnt have any issues with the side effects commonly associated with the Depo Provera shots.