Piercings & Gauges... Like them, hate them, or have them?

Options

Replies

• cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and my daughter (14) says she's interested in a nose piercing. I don't really have a problem with that, or belly button, or even eyebrow. Don't like tongue or nipple piercings. IAnd, I actually can't stand gauges. Especially giant ones. That's just me. I think there's nothing aesthetically pleasing about them, where with tattoos and piercings, I get those, even though the only tattoo I'll ever consider is a little candy heart on my rear that says "Kiss mine."
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The big gauge stuff kinds of shocks me.. I try not to look at it because it makes me stomach feel weird lol. I only know one person currently who I can say honestly, really can pull of the big gauge earring thing. She has this thing in her ear that looks like a sort of spirally twig from the yard, but it actually looks really good on her somehow lol. She's about the only one I've gotten a good look at from feeling less of the stomach twinge aversion.

I've wondered do people do it for shock value? Maybe not but, it does shock me.
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I dont have any gauged except my tongue which ive had at an 8 guage. I also have my left eyebrow, right side of lip, nose, Industrial and Tragus in right ear and Rook and Cartilage in left ear.
  • lillystargazer
    Options
    I love piercings and gauges. I had my ears and lip pierced, now just my ears. I miss my lip piercing so bad.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have my nose pierced and my cartilage in my ear.. had my tongue done had to take it (work) my 2 older kids gauge their ears Im not exactly happy about it but its up to them.. I think piercings are awesome.. along with tattoos I have 5.. and sooo want more....
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i love peircings. i have 3 lobe piercings and the bottom one is a 0 gauge. been that way for 3 years now. i like the look of a little bigger but i dont want to damage the skin too much. i have my left tragus, left helix (traditional spot), and right helix (across from my tragus). my parents dont like facial peircing or tattoos so thats why i dont have any yet. but when i move out i plan on getting either a medusa or verticle labret.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To those who don't like them, what do you think about gauges that look like the blue earrings in my profile photo? Would you even know what they are?

Yes I would know what they were. Although those types of jewelery are quite pretty I still dislike gauges. The fact is when you take the jewelery out the hole that is left is gonna look like an *kitten*. I think that is my main objection, the idea to deliberately permanently change your body to make an artificial bum hole in your ear is nice? No. For the most part, they look bad and they smell bad too. I'm into piercings though, I've had 14 in total, although I only have one remaining at the moment (daith in right ear) because of my job.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I started stretching my earlobes years ago. I was... 19, I think, so nine years come summer. I'm at 7/16" right now; I've been at this size for years. I don't want to go any bigger, so here I shall stay. My family used to give me a very hard time about them, but now I just get the occasional tease about them. ::shrugs:: They're *my* ears and if *I* want big holes in 'em, then by gum I am going to have big holes in 'em.
    Otherwise, I have six other "normal" sized holes in both ears, a smiley piercing, and three others that you can't see when I'm wearing clothing. ;-)

I also have tattoos on my back, legs, lower abdominal area, and behind both ears. I want more, but I'm saving tattoo space for when my canvas gets smaller.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I think guages are gross looking. I don't mind piercings as long as their face isn't covered in them. I have 2 in each ear. When I was in high school I had my nose and my toung pierced. I took the toung ring out and I had to take my nose ring out for a mission trip. I didn't my the tounge ring at all so I didn't put it back. But I loved my nose ring and the hole ended closing!
  • artgeek09
    Options
    I've got 2 lobe piercings in each ear, plus a cartilage piercing in the left ear. I also have my center labret done and currently have segmented ring in it. I love it. Though my fiance wishes I would take it out, it's kind of special to me. It's my "statement" piece.

I'd love to get microdermals done and in anti-eyebrow fashion, but I'm fairly certain most people unfortunately won't trust a psychologist with facial piercings. I dread the day I have to take my labret out :'(
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    took me along time to have any of my piercing actuly heal

Me too. At one point early on I thought my top ear piercings were such a pain in the butt I'd just "let them grow up" but even when they got really closed as much as possible you could see the little indentation and it looked to me like there needed to be an earring there.. so I had to re-pierce my top standard ear piercing at one point and I've *never* let them grow back up after that.

A hoodoo lady I met late said she swore by broom straw for new piercings, tiny piece in each piercing, turned daily, when new would make it heal perfect lol. :huh:

Over time the top piercing on my right has gotten slightly closer to the edge of my ear than the one on the left. No idea why, just something about the piercing and how my body fat has distributed over time, maybe I sleep on that side more, no idea. Wearing small studs or extra tiny hoops make it not very noticeable that the top piercing is slightly uneven from side to side.

I missed bellybutton piercings, they look very nice on some people and not so much on others. Question is does it look like a cool earring/embellishment or does it look like a piercing where I can see the bit that got pierced hanging down too much. Don't ask me why but for some people I think they look cool and others, nope.

Whatever you get, make sure you really like it.. because it's likely there for life lol.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The fact is when you take the jewelery out the hole that is left is gonna look like an *kitten*. I think that is my main objection, the idea to deliberately permanently change your body to make an artificial bum hole in your ear is nice?

I snipped that a bit. We call that particular phenomenon "cat butt ears."
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I personally find piercings and tattoos sexy. I have my ears done 3 times on the bottom (used to be 4 but the last ones closed. I have had my cartilage done, my belly button was done on top and bottom and my nose is pierced. I don't have any tattoos yet. My hubbs has his ears gauged, his cartilage done and his labret. And one tattoo but plans to get more.
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love both! For gauges as long as they aren't HUGE they are alright. I used to have tiny one (size 4) but I missed wearing earrings so I took them out :/ And now I'm back to my 21 piercings! Just in my ears and my belly!
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to have the back of my neck pierced (not the dermals, just a regular bar piercing) and I LOVED it!!! Sadly I had to take it out due to colorguard...but I wouldn't be against the idea of doing it again someday. For now I'll focus on tattoos :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Oh! And if you have a septum piercing... I tend to just think you remind me of a bull. The one guy I know who has a thing in there that looks like a steer's horn.. yea, he makes me think of a bull.

But otherwise if you have a ring through the septum, it makes me think while you're talking to me that maybe I should just use a beaner to snap you to a lead against a wall and leave you there. I don't know why but it just always looks like you want a leash there to me if you have that piercing and wear a ring. Maybe I'm a natural Dom. LOL.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, hate the gauges. Not judging, and I don't think any less of people who have them, but I personally can't stand them. And, in all honesty, if someone takes it too far and has massive gauges and multiple piercings all over their face, I have a hard time even looking at them, forget about having a conversation.

Just personal preference. :)

Agreed. However, I do acknowledge it's all totally personal preference of what is attractive. I had my ears pierced 10 times, a naval piercing, tongue piercing and nipple piercing at one time. I "outgrew" most of them. I have never like eyebrow, most nose, or other facial piercing aesthetically but whatever floats your boat. Big holes give me the heebie jeebies but I try to be respectful cuz it aint my body so it aint my business! My mom hated all my piercings (called them vulgar) and dislikes my 2 tattoos.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love my piercings. I think the interest did stem from some rebellious teenage phase, but I can't imagine being without piercings! My piercings are nostril, septum and a vertical labret (labret straight through the bottom lip).
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have 6 ear piercings, two normal lobe on one, two lobe and cartilage on the other, nose tongue twice (venoms) and nipples ...love love love piercings, just not sure what next! :D
  • sydleibert
    sydleibert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love piercings and gauges. Hell, I love tattoos too. My ears used to be 4g, but I lost one of them and couldn't get to buy another one before it started growing back up. So now they're back to normal. I have 3 cartilage piercings on my right ear that I got when I was 18. I plan to get 3 more on the other side. My lip has been pierced for 2 years. I love every single one of my piercings. When I get to my goal weight I'm going to get my belly button pierced as a reward for a great new body.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I love tattoos too. I have 3 and getting more within the next few months.