MFP Friends... how do you decide who they will be?

Options

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have on my profile that I require a note and a profile picture, even if it isn't of them, so if they don't have either, I'll decline because they didn't bother to read my profile. I used to accept every one though but I wanted to actually know the people on my list and I do write about personal aspects of my life that I may not want just any one to know.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I send out few requests, and most of the ones I did were to fans of Sons of Anarchy, or people who I see consistently posting stuff that makes sense.

I had some requests ignored, so I don't really send many requests. My profile picture scares them away I guess.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    truthfully, i think all but a couple (which i solicited off interesting blog posts) friended me first. and i have no idea where they found me. presumably the forums? i am shy. on the internet. which makes no sense, ikr.
  • charneus
    Options
    I have yet to send out a friend request, but that's for my own personal reasons.

About 90% of my friends sent a request to me based on a few posts I've posted, as they were motivational in topic and it seemed a number of people were looking for friends like that. That's what makes me happy. I'm not going to turn down someone unless I know they're being destructive in their own goals.

Some people say that they don't want to add someone who don't seem to show support, but what I find wrong with that is sometimes, it's them who need the support, and if everyone turned them down merely because they didn't show support, how is that helping a fellow MFPer accomplish their goal?

When I first joined, I didn't think much about it. I didn't think I'd last long, that it would be a phase and a failure. But the one friend who got me into MFP supported me, even if I wasn't supporting her. As a result, I've now logged in for over 20 days in a row, and her support has given me reason to support others.

And with my support, I find others more willing to support not only me, but their friends, too. It was a wonderful feeling adding 40 friends in a single day, and I haven't regretted it since.
  • KLo28
    KLo28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just want to lose weight. I hope this helps me.
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have not sent any request if someone sends a request I'l approved them.

Is not an issue, we are all here for the same reason.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 7+ pages of friends now and I added/sought-out only 1 page myself (15 people) so my news feed is quite a blur daily but at least its relevant to people like me since I only add like-me people.

Similar Stats:

- Professional working people, preferably no kids
    - <15 lbs to lose
    - Age 20-45

Similar Fitness Interests:

- Turbo Jam
    - Turbo Fire
    - Spinning

"Experts" who may fall outside of the above range
    - People on MFP who study nutrition in-depth and preferably professionally

I decline people who don’t fall into the above categories (unless they wowed me i.e. compliments with their 'add friend' message) have no profile info, no profile photo or men without a good reason for adding me.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I RARELY, if ever send out a request, with the excption of when I deactivated my old account and started using this one, because I added back some of my old friends.

As far as accepting, if they appear to be a collector (with no msg), I deny. If I notice the person from forums and/or friends in common I'll usually accept. If Ido not recognize them from anywhere and there is no message, I usually deny.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    There's really no rhythm or reason to it for me. Could be the photo, could be the activities, or could be a forum post/blog that caught my attention.

I try to keep my friends list low so I can manage it properly. I'm not trying to make this Facebook Lite.
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is no sweat of my back to accept everyone... they do get removed if they treat it like Facebook and go over every menial detail of their miserable lives...
    Yep
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I don't accept anyone without a real picture.

Usually delete if you're inactive for 2 weeks or so.

Sometimes I just let all the requests pile up cause I feel I have too many friends.

I like keepin it around 100.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't accept people that don't write SOMETHING in that little box.

Or if they don't have anything written on their profile.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I don't accept friend requests from men. I don't accept friend requests without a message. I don't accept friend requests from people who type the message in all caps, because I don't want to read that in my newsfeed. I also don't accept an FR with a message like "u look cool." I don't want to friend collect, and I want to know that I'm going to be able to connect with anyone I accept. I'm pretty picky.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a few who are people I knew (either for real or from another website -- and some both!) before I came here. I very rarely send a FR and I pretty much always accept the ones I get sent (though I don't always keep them).

If I send one it's because something about the person's posts really spoke to me. Either we share a sense of humor, a life view, whatever. I don't need people on here to motivate me. I'm pretty good at motivating myself. So it's all about personality. I don't care what's in your photo unless it's something hateful.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    1. Actually funny.
    2. Not a mean girl bully.
    3. supportive
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I accept all friend requests. I ask when they have similar goals, same age, same state, like their foods in their food diary, or things like that. I look through my friend list often and if they have not logged on in several weeks I sent a "nice" message to see if everything is ok and if no reply and it has been a month they have not logged on then I delete. I also will only accept those who have their food diary open. If you want me to help support and cheer you on then you need to hide NOTHING from me. I will not support you and waste my time if you are eating HORRIBLE foods yet I cannot see what you are eating.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    i look for people with similar goals, that are active on MFP, and have a good sense of humor....Most of my friends are off-shoots of the several original friends I made.

I don't accept everyone that FR me...you need to tell me something....anything about why, thats the first hurdle. I'm way more picky about male requests than female (so yes, men on my FL you are special!) second, if I disagree with stuff I have seen you say in forums (being mean and nasty) there is NO WAY! Humor yes, meanies no...
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    In the beginning, I accepted everyone - regardless as to whether they had a picture, sent a note or not - I would accept them. It got the point where it got way out of control. Now, I try to limit them to people that actually say why they want to be friends.

There isn't really anything that I look for if I request a friend ... be it a comment I find funny or witty ... their goals ...

I like people that interact ... that will kick you in the butt when you need it and be happy when you reach that goal. I do the same for the friends on my list too. My friend list is a motivation for me!
  • NilbyClark
    Options
    I actually changed my name and started a new MFP because I felt like a couple people I know in real life added me just to spy on me and it made me uncomfortable. I need SUPPORT not someone gossiping about how fat I am, or what I'm doing wrong. I add anyone who wants to be supportive, and I need encouragement anywhere I can get it lol. Anyone can feel free to add me, those little random good jobs, and way to go's from strangers help me remember I'm not alone in my journey :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    These are my reasons for turning down people.

The main one is right on my page. I keep it open for a reason. If there is no message with the friend request I look at it like this. IF you do not have time to read the about me then you do not have time to get to know me.