EX-SMOKERS PLEASE.

Options

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    There is no downside to make you not stop smoking. In 2 years after you stop your lungs pretty much recover back to baseline. And you dramaticly reduce your chances of COPD, emphasemia, and cancer
  • foramanwhohashope
    foramanwhohashope Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love how no one read what I posted.

I can't cook my own food ha!

I'm overseas for Pete sakes!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I love how no one read what I posted.

I can't cook my own food ha!

I'm overseas for Pete sakes!

I saw it...

No excuse :).... just make it happen. I could come up with a million reasons not to quit.. Im bored, I just ate, Im drinking, my friend is smoking.. I just want too...

Quit smoking stat.

You can do it!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 weeks ago with the patch. I started working out at the same time. I am extremely stressed at work and finishing my degree. And taking care of my family, blah blah blah. So I decided to quit smoking anyway. My next decision was how to deal with stress. Food vs. Exercise. I decided on the latter. No weight gain so far, but really I don't care if it happens. My body will regulate. It always does. Good Luck!! Quit.:smile: You'll never regret it!
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    Options
    For me I gained weight..I also quit because I was pregnant. And pregnancy makes u gain weight.

But, when i had no way of getting cigs for a week, yeah, i gained like 3 pounds.
    I ate and ate. it was terrible. xD

Another week when i didnt have a way of getting cigs, I worked out & drank LOADS of water so i wouldnt eat as much, and i actually lost 2 pounds (:
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I quit on my wedding day - I was a heavy smoker - and I did not gain weight. I gained long later - 15 years later - for other reasons, obvious reasons (eating and being sedentary).
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am going to quit soon myself. I am still trying to figure out what route to take. I have Chantix but would like to do it drug free. I have quit 3 times so I am hoping this is it! I have started eating a clean diet and weight training so the smoking has to stop. Have you set a quit date? Maybe we can try to do it together. I am going to Mexico March 8 - 11. I am starting the LiveFit program on March 12 so that is my quit date too. Good luck! And thank you for serving for our country!
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    I haven't smoked since Oct 22.

I am about 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but I've been trying to gain weight.

The first 4 days I felt completely depressed without smoking, after that it was bearable.

I did not take any drugs to quit, have a stop day, or really any of the other stuff that's recomended - I just decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. I smoked for over a decade.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I put on 5lbs when I quit, but it quickly came off when I stuck to my workout routine years ago (this was 12 years ago...can't believe I still remember!)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I did.

But losing weight was a whole lot easier than quitting smoking in my case.

Get the smoking habit taken care of, then deal with the weight gain if you have any. That would be my advice.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 15 yrs, quit Dec 2nd, 1999..........I did not gain weight after I quit........
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am sure that there is a lot of answers on here... my personal experience is yes BUT, that is because I replaced the cig with a french fry. If you are careful I am sure you will be just fine!
  • ShrinkingSusan
    ShrinkingSusan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free since 12-31-11 and I am down about 18 pounds so far. I am fiercely determined to be successful at both goals. You can do it. Just throw out the excuses and throw do
    wn your crutch.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The stress from quitting, as well as the metabolism slowing down a little since it's used to being sped up by nicotine, causes slight weight gain. As a nursing student, I've seen quite a few patients go through it. They can gain 5-10 lbs. even if their eating habits don't worsen, but the weight usually comes off fairly easily when you're done going through the initial stress of quitting. What I can tell you, is that 5-10 lbs. gained, is a hell of a lot better than a pair of lungs lost. But as a smoker myself, I understand you probably already know that. Just maybe try saying it to yourself more often. :]
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    smoking actually increases your metabolism, so when you quit, it drops and you gain. Just keep up the healthy eating and exercise you should be fine.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    never gained a lb when i quit over a year ago, i actually was in the process of losing weight though...
  • Determined523
    Options
    Gum. Lots of it. Yes, I gained weight when I quit smoking, then I started smoking again... and gained weight. Just chew lots of gum lol.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    I did not take any drugs to quit, have a stop day, or really any of the other stuff that's recomended - I just decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. I smoked for over a decade.

me either, and me too! i also smoked for over a decade! an i jus quit, cold turkey!!! when i made up my mind, it honestly wasnt as difficult a task
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight when I quit smoking.
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I didn`t read the rest of the replies, but I quit smoking in June of 2010 and went on a diet at the same time, so no, I didn`t gain anything due to quitting. I`m sure other people have mentioned that the trick is to kick the habit, not replace it with food. It can be done!