CEREAL!!!

Options

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bowlful of Alpen in the morning too- I love it, but yes 100g is a lot as it is very dense.

I have now learned to weigh cereal so I can still have it- no point in denying yourself something you like.

You can also now buy sachets of Alpen Porridge that you mix with hot milk which is really tasty :) - you can in the UK anyway.
  • 09Demelza
    09Demelza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought oats were good for lowering cholesterol? Porridge seems to be good carb (slow burn) not full of sugar if you don't add any, and milk is plenty sweet enough. Use skimmed or semi-skimmed to keep fat content down.

I think a decent rule of thumb for eating is "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper."

Seems to make sense to eat more calories in meals at start of day when you body needs to have fuel to burn.

Maybe simplistic but it works for me (3stones/42lbs down since end of May 2011) and I guess that's really the thing. Just around 12lbs more to reach my target.....then the real test comes - maintenance.

Good luck to all.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    This makes me sad. I love cereal. I could eat it all day. Maybe I should try to stop eating for a while and see if I lose more weight? That would be the real answer right?
  • 09Demelza
    09Demelza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ..... As long as it fits into your calories alotted for the day.... I don't see a problem with cereal, I have managed to lose a little weight eating it......
    [/quote]

"Lost a little weight?????" Just wanted to say - your ticker stopped me in my tracks - amazing - well done.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal every morning... 140 calories for a cup. What's the problem? I've lost 73 lbs and still continue to lose.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. I love cereal. I could eat it all day. Maybe I should try to stop eating for a while and see if I lose more weight? That would be the real answer right?

If you are feeling really brave then try and cut out bread and pasta too and watch the weight drop off effortlessly! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    i loooove cereal! It's one of the things I refuse to give up. I try to budget it into my meals a few times week.

Just watch the serving size. For me it usually takes 2-3 servings for me to feel like I a had a whole bowl of cereal instead of just a puny spoonful.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Cereal is very nutritious if you find a lower calorie brand. It's the way many people get their daily servings of vitamins because cereals are generally fortified with the vitamins a "normal" person wouldn't encounter so much on their diets. So cereal can function as a multivitamin that your body will actually absorb (because a lot of multivitamin pills can go right through you). I suggest looking for a different brand of cereal as appropriate to your goals. Cereal is one of those things that you MAY have to sacrifice taste and sweetness in order to get a healthier deal out of it.
  • looby_loo91
    Options
    I would struggle SO badly without cereal in the morning!!! 2 Weetabix biscuits with semi-skimmed milk and a bit of sugar to sweeten it up. Yesssss I know sugar is empty calories but if I don't have some in the morning I'm utterly useless all day and horrible to be around!!! Plus I'm cutting out cakes, crisps, chocolate etc. so I figure I'm allowed a bit of sweetness in the morning :)
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    skip cereal. Instead eat protein for breakfast. I like ON hydrolized whey + coffee + almond milk + ice.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Big brother is watching. I clicked on this topic and a big advertisement for Kellogg's Crunchy Nut popped up. It must know it's my favorite cereal of ALL TIME. It also needs to know that I can no longer buy it as I go through a box in 48-72 hours. It's sad. LOL!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Special K cereals especially the Multigrain Oats and Honey
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of cereal you guys are eating, but a bowl (1cup) of Kashi Go Lean is 140 cals, 30g of carbs (6g sugar and 10g fiber). What you are describing sounds like granola, and more than a serving of it. Cereal is awesome, and what is wrong with sugar anyway? To each his own, but cereal is the ****. I just ate some at like 3am.
    AHAHAHAHAHA! I want to embroider that on a pillow. Cereal is the ****. :-D

^^^^ THIS!!! This is what I eat too and Love it! Has the same amount of protein in it as egg
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cereal is such a hidden killer and most people dont realise it.

Did you really mean this? A KILLER? Cereal? Seriously?

Hypertension is a hidden killer. Cereal? :noway:
    :laugh: lOVE THIS
    I love Cereal.. dont know what kind you are all eatin.. Mine is pretty clean all the way around!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg and two pieces of turkey bacon on two pieces of white bread with one tablespoon of lite mayo with a cup of coffee for breakfast and it is less than 300 calories.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try Fiber One's 80 Calorie cereal. It gives you 40% of your daily fiber in one bowl and is extremely low calorie and has a slightly sweet honey taste. I pair it with a banana to get some fruit in my diet and skim or 2% milk. All for under 300 calories.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Maybe it's a CEREAL KILLER. Buh-boom, tish. Uh, I'll get my coat...

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Captain Crunch around lately. Anyone know where Count Chockula is?
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Kashi GoLean, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, half a cup of coconut milk.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options

No I didnt actually mean this but now im here im going to dive into proving that it can be a killer...

80% of the people who have eaten cereal have died...how's that for causality. LIFE is a disease, the only cure for which is death!

Many people eat cereal with sugar or fruit (Both contain FRUCTOSE (i.e. fruit sugar, table sugar = sucrose made of glucose + fructose). OK so now we know that eating cereal can potentially contain a lot of fructose..

Fructose has been shown to increase risks of developing the "metabolic syndrome" . This is because it causes insulin resistance, increases LDL-cholesterol (the bad one) and is highly corrlerated with increased obesity. Many scientific papers have shown the dangers of fructose (will link if you wish) and some even suggest to actively minimise fruit consumption (taking micronutrients in through other sources such as vitamin tablets).

Obesity and insulin resistance have both been shown to cause increases in blood pressure -

Insulin resistance because Insulin has a vasodilatory effect on blood vessels - This doesnt happen so blood vessels contrict raising blood pressure.

Also Increased Insulin resistance and LDL-cholesterol have both casually been related to increased obesity and all-cause mortality (heart attacks, myocardial infarcation etc).

So there, I absolutely guarantee that someone in the world has died at least partially due to the excessive consumption of cereal containing fructose.

=D

Water CAN be a killer. A t-shirt CAN be a killer. Please just post "Cereal is not a hidden killer." If you agree with that, I can say cool. If not:

:huh: You are aware that what you just posted contains a lot of reaching, grabbing at straws, and use of correlational blah blah to make an inference of causality, right? You should absolutely post links to these studies because the science folks (I tend to be more of a common sense type girl myself) are going to engage you in some delightful debate.

I won't even make an attempt to debate because honestly, this isn't my area of expertise and I don't have the knowledge base to do so. What I can say with certainty is cereal is in no way a killer and has no relationship to death. Fructose isn't a killer either. If I say this out loud, it makes me laugh. Poisons are killers; unless you're allergic, foods aren't.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Muesli: When I cook it, I add in frozen or fresh berries or banana. When it's done instead of adding a sweetener, I mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder to a little vanilla almond milk and stir that in right at the end. Yummmmm :)