Does the cashier make fun of you?

Options
I was at the grocery store and had my usual assortment of the best foods I could find this time of year, and the cashier made fun of me because I had too many fruits, veggies, and whole grains. She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?" and when I said of course I am , she preceded to sneer and give me dirty looks. This happen to anyone else?

Replies

• LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • oburley89
    oburley89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i prolly would have told the store manager about the attitude of the cashier. who does she think she is to judge you on the food you eat???
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had a cashier ask about items in my order before, but usually because s/he hadn't tried them and was curious. I've never had anyone openly judge my purchases, that's just poor customer service and will likely come back to bite the person in the *kitten* eventually.
  • oburley89
    Options
    exactly!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Does the cashier make fun of me? Not if they expect to keep their job, no.

You could always reply with "c u next tuesday" and see if she gets it.
  • I've had a cashier ask about items in my order before, but usually because s/he hadn't tried them and was curious. I've never had anyone openly judge my purchases, that's just poor customer service and will likely come back to bite the person in the *kitten* eventually.

I hope so, I like the cashiers that make suggestions about what to eat better.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I would have reminded her that her job is to ring up my purchases, not criticize them. I mean seriously. Does she have dirty looks and comments for people that buy condoms and lube too? How about cookies and chips? Or toothbrushes and mouthwash? I think her manager would probably want to hear about it. Treating customers poorly leads to them not coming back, that's not what the store wants to happen.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've had a cashier ask about items in my order before, but usually because s/he hadn't tried them and was curious. I've never had anyone openly judge my purchases, that's just poor customer service and will likely come back to bite the person in the *kitten* eventually.

Ditto. They usually ask me what something is, and how I prepare it. It's just out of curiosity because they are unfamiliar with the item. Sometimes I get comments about how healthy the items are, but again nothing snide about it.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That's why I use the automatic checkout. :)
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just once, when I bought one baking potato...I'm single so why am I going to buy more than that at one time???
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not about food, but I had one lady at Walmart comment on my latest purchase of workout wear "What, do you think it's summer out?" I nicely explained that sometimes, you have to take care of yourself, and that's exactly what I was doing and she sheepishly agreed. Sometimes people are rude without realizing it - their "edit" button doesn't always work.
  • oburley89
    Options
    I would have reminded her that her job is to ring up my purchases, not criticize them. I mean seriously. Does she have dirty looks and comments for people that buy condoms and lube too? How about cookies and chips? Or toothbrushes and mouthwash? I think her manager would probably want to hear about it. Treating customers poorly leads to them not coming back, that's not what the store wants to happen.

exactly. i prolly would have given the cashier my two cents about her attitude in her place of work while she's on duty, then go straight to the manager. her judgement was uncalled for.
  • frankhuerta
    frankhuerta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me...what part of the country to you live in? I live in California so eating clean is common.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Next time just get some toilet paper, lube, batteries, condoms, thumb tacs and ask if she was planning on making any comments this time.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'm more used to seeing it with the boxes of jos louis, (kids lunches) wagon wheels, and case after case of diet coke, oh with a green onion bunch or something thrown into the mix.... but yes, that cashier is one of the ones who will go to the deli / fast food joint when they get off, pick up something that was prepared for them so they have no control over what's going into it, find that the order wasn't quite right but eat it anyway because why should they get what they want?
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What you buy is your business, not hers. I'd go speak to the manager.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I only ever have issues with them not knowing the code for the produce I purchase. Or even what it is. Especially ginger root! I didn't realize so few people buy it. Shame, since it's delicious!

I did have a cashier ask me if I was hoping for a positive when I bought a pregnancy test. I was sort of noncommital about it (read: shocked she asked) then she said she thought I was. I wasn't :tongue:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ This!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Never had someone make fun of me for buying healthy stuff. I have, a time or two, had them make snide remarks about my unhealthy purchases...or the ultimate "make you feel guilty" question when you purchase a candy bar and they ask "Do you want this left out?" Like I can't wait to eat it until I get home...when they are usually for my kids.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I go to the self check out so I don't get bothered by the cashiers, but that does stink that someone would judge you for eating healthy. I get judged at work for that.