National Self Harm Awareness Day

Options
1235»

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.

OK - I'll out myself here - I AM qualified to counsel people with this issue since I am an LMSW working in a state psychiatric hospital and this is the most common reason for women to be admitted to such an institution. My thoughts:

1. It is VERY hard to find a qualified therapist in the community with proper skills, humor and willingness to assist individuals who self harm. Even harder to get insurance that will help pay for it.

2. People who battle this daily are often dealing with layers of issues (just as most of us who eat to stuff our feelings and end up being obese - OK) and show tremendous courage in their battle and in the OP's willngness to share a small part of her story.

3. Peer Support, peer counseling and peers who can genuinely listen are IMMENSLY HELPFUL and all of the peers who self harm and have commented that I have read so far have been right on target.

4. Using marker to on scars and on the body as an alternative to self harm is actually a therapeutic technique, and to do this for awareness shows a much deeper solidarity than you might now.

5. I really wish we had known it was awareness day for this because we could have really used it to focus on for treatment today.

Beware of judging those who struggle lest you be judged when your struggle overtakes you.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.

OK - I'll out myself here - I AM qualified to counsel people with this issue since I am an LMSW working in a state psychiatric hospital and this is the most common reason for women to be admitted to such an institution. My thoughts:

1. It is VERY hard to find a qualified therapist in the community with proper skills, humor and willingness to assist individuals who self harm. Even harder to get insurance that will help pay for it.

2. People who battle this daily are often dealing with layers of issues (just as most of us who eat to stuff our feelings and end up being obese - OK) and show tremendous courage in their battle and in the OP's willngness to share a small part of her story.

3. Peer Support, peer counseling and peers who can genuinely listen are IMMENSLY HELPFUL and all of the peers who self harm and have commented that I have read so far have been right on target.

4. Using marker to on scars and on the body as an alternative to self harm is actually a therapeutic technique, and to do this for awareness shows a much deeper solidarity than you might now.

5. I really wish we had known it was awareness day for this because we could have really used it to focus on for treatment today.

Beware of judging those who struggle lest you be judged when your struggle overtakes you.
    :drinker: WELL SAID!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I live in a metropolitan area. I will admit that it is probably more difficult to find qualified help in a rural area. Still, it isn't going to work for you unless you really want it, and that is true whether you are talking about cutting, drug addiction, or eating disorders. If you really want the help, all you have to do is look for it, and you will find it.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    just wanted to throw my support out there... if the old ribbon-code still holds, i can wear a white ribbon along with the orange, w00tw00t, but... i still drew an orange one on the back of my hand with my highlighter :)

i've been wanting to tweet about it all day, but i don't know what to say. in real life, when i try to talk about it, i get all choked up... it's kind of like that.
  • jefarrell
    jefarrell Posts: 42
    Options
    As eating disorders can be considered a form of self harm (and often include more "common" acts of self harm as a result,) I think this goes here.

Who's wearing orange today?

Hopefully this'll go over better than the posts about February being ED Awareness Month. Seriously people, show a little support.

Unfortunately, most websites for Self Harming do not recognize over eating or binging as a form of Self Harm. I have tried to contact selfinjury.org seeking more information, or requesting that they provide information to others regarding this matter...and the contact information was no good. The email was returned. That's sad because people that binge, are serving the same purpose as someone who cuts, burns, etc. And others should be aware of it all!!!!
  • emfilomena
    emfilomena Posts: 120
    Options
    While I agree that more support and awareness need to be out there for those dealing with self-harm or an ED (I don't agree with you throwing an ED into the self-harm category, that's it's own illness, it's own category), that doesn't mean if you don't wear orange for self-harm awareness, or purple for ED awareness that you're not supportive.

People need to be more proactive in getting the information out there and not stuck in the stone-age where these topics are considered taboo. They are real problems, real illnesses, and it's not something a person can simply stop, or should be criticized for. Facts, figures, what to look for (but then again, it's hard to distinguish someone with an ED or self-harm problems because they do not discriminate against age, sex, race), effective treatment, support, etc NEED to be out there. More organizations, more charities, more available treatment. Insurance companies need to STOP denying people who deal with these very real medical problems treatment because they are only contributing to allowing the problem to get worse.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :heart: Just want to send everyone some hugs :flowerforyou:
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I hope no one minds me posting this, but I think it could be useful for anyone in a university setting. A couple of years ago, I was one of the founding members of a chapter of Active Minds (activeminds.org) at my school. It's a national organization (over 300 chapters now! :)) and was started by a girl whose brother committed suicide. The aim of the group is to spread mental health awareness and fight against stigma on college campuses through peer support.

We held events and information tables about concerns like stress management, eating disorders, depression, and self-harm. A lot of students didn't take it seriously, but there were a handful who confided in us, who asked questions and allowed us to refer them to the school's counseling center. I believe wholeheartedly in supporting and accepting each other, and I feel like Active Minds encourages people to do just that.

Again, I hope no one minds me posting this, but I like to take every relevant opportunity to tell people about Active Minds, because it was so important to me. :)
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    While I agree that more support and awareness need to be out there for those dealing with self-harm or an ED (I don't agree with you throwing an ED into the self-harm category, that's it's own illness, it's own category), that doesn't mean if you don't wear orange for self-harm awareness, or purple for ED awareness that you're not supportive.

People need to be more proactive in getting the information out there and not stuck in the stone-age where these topics are considered taboo. They are real problems, real illnesses, and it's not something a person can simply stop, or should be criticized for. Facts, figures, what to look for (but then again, it's hard to distinguish someone with an ED or self-harm problems because they do not discriminate against age, sex, race), effective treatment, support, etc NEED to be out there. More organizations, more charities, more available treatment. Insurance companies need to STOP denying people who deal with these very real medical problems treatment because they are only contributing to allowing the problem to get worse.

I consider ED a form of self harm due to the physical effect the stress and practice takes on your body, but I mostly meant that most of the people I've met who also have an ED also cut or harm themselves through other means because of it. They're very closely linked in any case.

Thank you, everyone who commented. You're all lovely and wonderful and it makes me so happy to read everything you've said.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    As eating disorders can be considered a form of self harm (and often include more "common" acts of self harm as a result,) I think this goes here.

Who's wearing orange today?

Hopefully this'll go over better than the posts about February being ED Awareness Month. Seriously people, show a little support.

Unfortunately, most websites for Self Harming do not recognize over eating or binging as a form of Self Harm. I have tried to contact selfinjury.org seeking more information, or requesting that they provide information to others regarding this matter...and the contact information was no good. The email was returned. That's sad because people that binge, are serving the same purpose as someone who cuts, burns, etc. And others should be aware of it all!!!!

A lot of places/people don't even recognize binge eating/over eating as a disorder. Sure, some people are just natural over eaters but for people seriously suffering from doing it and wanting help should get the same love and support that someone wanting help for anorexia or bulimia do! ♥ It's a serious issue, no matter what form it takes.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had no idea today was this day but I am glad there is a day like it. I work with teens in our youth group who have cut themselves, pulled out their hair, attempted suicide and yes have eating disorders. It is an issue that many people close their eyes to.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I actually remembered about it today!

This morning I drew an orange pair of angel wings over my old reminder scars on my wrist
    :heart:

Good for you. :) I'm not at the point of having old scars without new ones, but on days like today I have more hope than ever.

You hang in there and you'll be in a whole new, wonderful place. Look at what a wonderful thing you're doing to take care of yourself by being on here. Someone very near and dear to me was cutting, but she's done well for at least six months now I'd say. She did a lot of "writing love on her arm" and had a butterfly bracelet from a local support group. I'll be thinking of you and all the other ladies on here dealing with this. I'll have to let her know today's a special day!

Thanks original poster for sharing the information!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I hope no one minds me posting this, but I think it could be useful for anyone in a university setting. A couple of years ago, I was one of the founding members of a chapter of Active Minds (activeminds.org) at my school. It's a national organization (over 300 chapters now! :)) and was started by a girl whose brother committed suicide. The aim of the group is to spread mental health awareness and fight against stigma on college campuses through peer support.

We held events and information tables about concerns like stress management, eating disorders, depression, and self-harm. A lot of students didn't take it seriously, but there were a handful who confided in us, who asked questions and allowed us to refer them to the school's counseling center. I believe wholeheartedly in supporting and accepting each other, and I feel like Active Minds encourages people to do just that.

Again, I hope no one minds me posting this, but I like to take every relevant opportunity to tell people about Active Minds, because it was so important to me. :)

I think you're WONDERFUL for posting this :flowerforyou:
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I'm happy I actually remembered about it today!

This morning I drew an orange pair of angel wings over my old reminder scars on my wrist
    :heart:

Good for you. :) I'm not at the point of having old scars without new ones, but on days like today I have more hope than ever.

You hang in there and you'll be in a whole new, wonderful place. Look at what a wonderful thing you're doing to take care of yourself by being on here. Someone very near and dear to me was cutting, but she's done well for at least six months now I'd say. She did a lot of "writing love on her arm" and had a butterfly bracelet from a local support group. I'll be thinking of you and all the other ladies on here dealing with this. I'll have to let her know today's a special day!

Thanks original poster for sharing the information!

No thank you. :) Please tell your friend that random people on the internet care about her and are sooooo super proud of her going that long without it!

I just hope my post will help at least one person out there who could read it and see people care about them and don't feel so alone in all of it.
  • lultimameta
    Options
    Didn't wear orange, but I did have red and black, which if I remember correctly are the older S.I. awareness colors. I know more than I need to about the subject, and am glad to see that so many people care on here! Love to all you guys! <3
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I know this is old but I found out last week my 16 year old is self harming now Im at a loss what to do x
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your child is self harming. My best advice is to get into therapy quickly before it becomes the only coping strategy they have. Talk to them as well.

I've been self harming since I was 6. I wish I had help long ago.

If you know why they self harm, you might help them cope better. Me I no longer care if I live or die. The more time past the more dangerous my game became. I self harm to know I'm alive, reset pain, escape.

Best advice I can give is get help from a therapist asap.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with self-mutilation. 15 years later I still have some nasty scars from it. I have some orange on today!