Does the cashier make fun of you?

Options

Replies

• rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    Ok I had a friend who was a little backed up so she went to the store and bought some prune juice. Her husband picked up some bubble stuff to play with the dog and put it on the belt without her knowledge. When the cashier rang up her purchase she asked my friend if she was going to blow some bubbles today. Feeling a bit self self-conscience about being backed up she snapped " I don't think that is any of your business" Her husband just started laughing when he saw her face as the bubbles were rang up. She felt so bad for snapping and the poor lady but didn't want to explain. Love that story.:laugh:
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just buy cucumbers and condoms next time and see what happens.

^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:huh: <
    What I imagine the cashier's expression would look like. LOL

Was in the grocery story one time and the girl across from me was buying ready-whip, strawberries, and condoms.... the entire store was of course smirking about that one. Of course it was Valentines day. lol.... True Story...
  • sunkissedbrunettte
    Options
    Wow she sounds like a *****.
    But who cares what she thinks, you're eating right and that's all that really matters :)
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had a cashier at whole foods once ask me if I was going to use the sun's rays to heat my frozen food instead of the "bad" microwave.

Yes, dip****...I am going to wait a few days for the sun to thaw it out in rainy Oregon and then eat the rotten food. :tongue:
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    no it has never happened to me. but if it did i would ask her "Don't you like to eat healthy??"
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I get questions about what's in my basket all the time, and weird looks from other shoppers. I couldn't care less. I don't eat processed food, and yes my grocery basket usually looks like I'm trying to smuggle a fern out of the building.
  • Debbie333
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem! I had one cashier who I had to start avoiding due to his negative comments about all my fruits and veggies, etc. Then the next time I went to the store, I picked a new cashier altogether...I thought I'd be safe. It was a big order as I was shopping for the week and I don't eat out much. Not obscene amounts or anything, I think I had about 4 reusuable bags full of groceries. After commenting "wow, that's alot of food", she then asked me "do you have teenage boys or something?" I was mortified! So I mumbled "no, it's just me"...and I felt like a giant pig. (But seriously, I don't know much about teenage boys, but don't they eat crap like pizza pops and KD? My cart was filled with fruit, veggies, cottage cheese, eggs, etc...not typical teenage food as far as I'm aware). I felt like everyone behind me was staring at me now...I literally ran out of the store!

As I drove home, I got more and more upset...so I actually called the store manager and complained. He was great, apologized and said he'd talk to the two cashiers. I haven't had a problem since, but I still get nervous every time I grocery shop. Whose business is it anyways what groceries I buy?!
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The lack of education on health is scary. Most of here on this site with the exception of a few non committed ones don't know about healthy eating,don't research it and don't know you can lose weight naturally. They perish due to lack of knowledge. I look mean as hell in stores so cashiers know not to even try to make convo with me let alone ask me dumb ish..I'm a bit raw so I would have cursed them out on spot and walked to my car,emailed corporate and let that be that.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow..i feel so bad that so many people have had terrible experiences at the checkout. I love my neighborhood grocery store..it's a Giant Eagle. A few weeks ago I went through the express checkout line with a bunch of veggies and some portobello mushroom caps. The cashier correctly guessed that i was going to make mushroom cap pizza, and told me how amazing it was going to taste! No comments about diet, but a wonderful conversation from a wonderful young man!
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Ok I had a friend who was a little backed up so she went to the store and bought some prune juice. Her husband picked up some bubble stuff to play with the dog and put it on the belt without her knowledge. When the cashier rang up her purchase she asked my friend if she was going to blow some bubbles today. Feeling a bit self self-conscience about being backed up she snapped " I don't think that is any of your business" Her husband just started laughing when he saw her face as the bubbles were rang up. She felt so bad for snapping and the poor lady but didn't want to explain. Love that story.:laugh:

OMG that is so funny!!!!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Next time snark back I would have said "No I'm not going to eat it I am going to put it in my fridge and just stare at it. I'm heading to McDonalds after this, do you need something?"

Love this response!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem! I had one cashier who I had to start avoiding due to his negative comments about all my fruits and veggies, etc. Then the next time I went to the store, I picked a new cashier altogether...I thought I'd be safe. It was a big order as I was shopping for the week and I don't eat out much. Not obscene amounts or anything, I think I had about 4 reusuable bags full of groceries. After commenting "wow, that's alot of food", she then asked me "do you have teenage boys or something?" I was mortified! So I mumbled "no, it's just me"...and I felt like a giant pig. (But seriously, I don't know much about teenage boys, but don't they eat crap like pizza pops and KD? My cart was filled with fruit, veggies, cottage cheese, eggs, etc...not typical teenage food as far as I'm aware). I felt like everyone behind me was staring at me now...I literally ran out of the store!

As I drove home, I got more and more upset...so I actually called the store manager and complained. He was great, apologized and said he'd talk to the two cashiers. I haven't had a problem since, but I still get nervous every time I grocery shop. Whose business is it anyways what groceries I buy?!
    I have teenage daughter and 9 yr old son and I ve had cashiers ask of my kids really eat that kind of food. Apparently if i dont have soda, twinkies, candy and doritos they must be starving. One cashier said no wonder theyre so skinny. And replied no theyre healthy there is a difference.
  • Jamie_82
    Jamie_82 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was a cashier for a couple of years. I never made any negative comments on purchases or asked nosey questions - that would be very rude and unprofessional!!!

Sometimes I would make comments like "This looks delicious" or "You got a great deal on that" - because people like to receive honest positive remarks. It's all about the Golden Rule :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Once, at a time when I had lost a bunch of weight but still had plenty to go, a friend asked to bring some ice cream to a party; so I grabbed some when I was buying my regular groceries. I wound up loading the check-out counter with veggies, fruit, skinless boneless chicken, more veggies, some whole-grain something-or-other, strawberry ice cream, & a few veggies.

Not the cashier, but the guy behind me in line pointed to the ice cream and said: "That stuff will make you fat, you know."

Jeez-Lou-effin'- eez.

(But it was the one time in my life I've been able to think of a decent comeback on the spot. I gave him my most stern and serious look and said, in a cold and disgusted tone, "Yes. I intend to become very, very, fat."

He didn't say anything after that.)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    um..no. don't expect it to either (at least i hope not)!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i still find it highly amusing that in america you can buy ammo and a ski mask at the same place you buy your veggies.

amazing.
    The ammo-and-ski-mask crowd doesn't eat veggies.

:laugh:
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had cashiers remark that "you must be having company!" when my fruit selection goes through the line... at which point I look at the fruit... then at the cashier and say "no... no company. This will last me 3 days. Tops. " and smile at them.
  • mbertagnolli
    Options
    This totally happens to me. I went to a smaller grocery store and the cashier said "Wow! You have so much healthy stuff" - more surprised than anything. I don't get funny comments like these at the bigger stores, only the smaller ones! :smile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Again all Jealousy :glasses:
    You should see their faces when they see 8-10 pots of greek yogurt with nice veggies and fruits <--- road to sucess
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I wish. Used to get comments in Philly but now I shop at Whole Foods and other organic stores in Berkeley, CA, which is chock full of hippies. More likely to get recipe and produce suggestions and the occasional side-eye at any non-vegan purchases. Sigh. I miss being THE HEALTHY CHICK :laugh: