Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So, let's NOT teach our children that they are failures if they gain a little weight. Let's NOT teach our children that it's OK to make fun of overweight people because they "did it to themselves". And kudos to not having this disgusting exhibit shown to kids in what's supposed to be a happy place!

Thank you! The amount of privilege in this post is horrifying. Great, you teach your kids healthy habits. That means YOU'VE been taught healthy habits to pass on. (and why you don't need to lose weight yourself....) People talk about their kids doing organized activities their kids do. That cost a lot of money. That people who are living below the poverty line don't have. Or that there are food deserts where fresh food can't be brought within a 5 mile radius. Or that going out and exercising might not be even safe.

If you want to help people stop shaming them. It doesn't work. Start offering solutions like how to get healthier foods to people at a cheaper cost or having classes in schools to teach this stuff.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I read this article today and thought the same thing!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Today I learned I'm not fat, I'm higher body weight
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they really do care, that's why their parks are loaded with deep fried fatty foods, funnel cakes, corn dogs, ice cream, etc...maybe they can start there and then move on from that!

Honestly, I liked the idea of it, but I also understand not "villianizing" fat people. It's the fat and habits we want to get rid of, not the people! I think there was a better way to do this one!

Right on!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    As a morbidly obese woman who is getting her health goals on track, I really wish they had something like this back in the late 80s when I started to pile on the pounds. This would be an excellent tool to help children understand that what they eat and whether or not they exercise has consequences. Fat acceptance, ummmmm WOW!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    As a morbidly obese woman who is getting her health goals on track, I really wish they had something like this back in the late 80s when I started to pile on the pounds. This would be an excellent tool to help children understand that what they eat and whether or not they exercise has consequences. Fat acceptance, ummmmm WOW!

I knew it. Got told it all the time. Still piled on the pounds.

I also exercised every day of the week. Even at my biggest I was walking every day. It's the stereotype that all fat people don't exer use that is one if the harmful ones.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    How abotu someone create a National Association to teach better eating habits!

AHH Yes... This would be so cruel to do because in all honesty personal responsibility is where the obesity problem lies we blame environment which is a good excuse to stay fat, we blame our genetics but yet we often include that those controlling our countries... Do they really want us healthier people as a whole? I mean if that were the case they would not make money!

In my opinion there are better ways to do this.

I don't mean to be mean or anything but how about a Biggest Loser style camp for communities thats FREE with resources to actually help people get out of their fat shells?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The National Association to Advance WHAT?!? :noway:

Holy crap! And here's me thinking assisted suicide was illegal in most states :ohwell:
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid that was lazy with poor eating habits. I could have used something like this as a kid, to help me understand the consequences of what I was doing to my body. As a child, you dont understand things like that.
  • newcraft
    newcraft Posts: 11
    Options
    Based on the little of the quoted text, it sounds like the exhibit was doing at least two things. The first is painting thin people as heroic. The second was vilifying (literally) certain behaviors, like snacking.

So you have a group of kids seeing this and they see the thinner people as heros and the fat people as villains. It's creating this potentially false conclusion that you can determine how lazy someone is or isn't by how thin or fit they appear to be.

I don't usually agree with this association's outcries, but I think they have a point here.

The problem isn't with the idea of an exhibit - I'm all for that. But why did they give them such rotten names? Will Power as the hero? Has anyone made life-changing habit changes from will power alone? And a vilian named Lead Bottom?

I know exactly how I would feel as an obese 12-year old looking at that. It would make me feel like I was abnormal, and I'd seek solace in my refrigerator at home, it wouldn't motivate me to be healthy. Why demonize it? Why not just have heroes demonstrating the good habits so ALL kids, regardless of where they're currently at, can identify with healthy and realistic?

It just seems like a great idea, poorly executed. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but as an obese 12-yr-old I was already aware that I had habits that needed to change. I find it strange that adults are speaking as though they weren't aware, as if this were a new thing - it was all over the school curriculum in the 70's/80's, continues today. What kids need is real-world positive reinforcement. Show them they can do it one step at a time, don't make it look like something only superheroes can accomplish.

How about a Percey Verance? A Susie-Stick-With-It? Those are the people who really walk the talk.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think it says far too much about the American education system that Disney world think it's their place to teach kids about healthy food...

Also, yeah, teaching kids about healthy food and habits is great, but demonizing fat kids is bs. It goes either two ways in my experience, they either get depressed and lethargic and turn to food, or they develop an obsession/unhealthy relationship with food/possibly eating disorders out of desperation to fit in, and fit in quickly! Teaching kids in a positive way about healthy food and exercise is the way to go, without the emphasis being on body size- that'll fall into place naturally when the kids get healthy!

Also, the fat acceptance people can be pretty ridiculous, because no it shouldn't be acceptable to be unhealthy through personal choice, whether that's heorin, smoking, alcoholism, or overeating, but I think they are right when they say that discrimination against fat people is unacceptable. Why should you care about someone elses body? It doesn't make them a better/worse person. Discriminating against someone for their size is wrong, and societies hatred of fat people is wrong. There's a difference between trying to get peopleto be healthy, and treating them as second class citizens because they're not perfect.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Doctors say obesity can sometimes be attributed to genetics and certain medications, and food can be used as a coping mechanism.

I HATE this kind of argument and it would annoy me even more if I was a fat person through ill health. Maybe if the other 99.9% of obese people who have no self control, get whatever they want and blame everyone else for it happening weren't fat the small number of people fat through ill health would be accepted for just that.

What we are seeing here isn't even political correctness - it's the $, who goes to a park and spends a lot of money ... fat people!

Healthy people pay the entrance fee and seek out the strenuous activities.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I really don't get he outrage.

They are using the fact that some people have illnesses which make them gain weight as one of the main points behind their argument, but this is a small proportion when compared to the amount who simply eat unhealthily and have poor portion control.

People are asking why Disney think it's their place to educate children. Why do you have an issue with education coming from outside of parents and schools. Disney are providing somewhere that PARENTS can take their children where they can play and learn at the same time. Much like watching Sesame Street or going to children's museums. There is some assumption that parents are using this as the sole nutrition education that their children will get. It isn't something Disney are doing as they feel it's their place - they put these things in because that's what parents want.

Regarding the fact that the characters are fat and the heroes are thin (though I presume they aren't actually 'thin', but in fact somewhat athletic or 'healthy'), that's because eating lots of bad food makes one fat, and eating healthily and properly and exercising appropriately makes one healthy. They are not trying to vilify fat people - rather showing the effects of poor nutrition.

Also - someone was saying about the main hero being called Will Power, asking how many people succeed on will power alone? I would like to put my hand up among the number that have. I don't use any special tricks. I try to eat right and I exercise. What motivates me to do this is looking in the mirror and seeing someone I am happy to be, and also just plain feeling healthier and more energetic.

Someone made an argument about people living below the poverty line not being able to afford to go on 'organised activities. If you are below the poverty line, but are feeding your children junk food and enough of it to make them overweight, then you are spending too much on junk food. There are cheaper options that are healthier. My parents had very little money when I was growing up. Instead of holidays I would get taken to the park or to other free places. All my food was cooked from the ingredients, not bought in a cardboard box and microwaved, mostly because that was how my parents did things, but also because it is cheaper that way!

There is far too much pressure on people to cater for those who might feel insulted in society today, and we end up catering for no one. Our sense of entitlement is at an all time high, whilst at the same time our sense of responsibility for ourselves is at an all time low. Johnny isn't eating right and is fat - it's McDonalds fault for making their food so tasty and advertising it on tv. Sophie isn't doing well at school - it's her teacher's fault for not raising my child for me. Tommy becomes a criminal - it's society's fault, he had no choice.

No one wants to take responsibility for themselves and for those who are in their care, and this makes me sad for our future.
  • zebedee44
    zebedee44 Posts: 25
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.
    Word. And guess what, the world is not all rainbows and warm fuzzies.

My world is all warm fuzzies. As a matter of fact I've got some warm fuzzies in my pocket... Would you like to reach in and get them?

Are they rainbow coloured? :love:
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I really don't get he outrage.

They are using the fact that some people have illnesses which make them gain weight as one of the main points behind their argument, but this is a small proportion when compared to the amount who simply eat unhealthily and have poor portion control.

People are asking why Disney think it's their place to educate children. Why do you have an issue with education coming from outside of parents and schools. Disney are providing somewhere that PARENTS can take their children where they can play and learn at the same time. Much like watching Sesame Street or going to children's museums. There is some assumption that parents are using this as the sole nutrition education that their children will get. It isn't something Disney are doing as they feel it's their place - they put these things in because that's what parents want.

Regarding the fact that the characters are fat and the heroes are thin (though I presume they aren't actually 'thin', but in fact somewhat athletic or 'healthy'), that's because eating lots of bad food makes one fat, and eating healthily and properly and exercising appropriately makes one healthy. They are not trying to vilify fat people - rather showing the effects of poor nutrition.

Also - someone was saying about the main hero being called Will Power, asking how many people succeed on will power alone? I would like to put my hand up among the number that have. I don't use any special tricks. I try to eat right and I exercise. What motivates me to do this is looking in the mirror and seeing someone I am happy to be, and also just plain feeling healthier and more energetic.

Someone made an argument about people living below the poverty line not being able to afford to go on 'organised activities. If you are below the poverty line, but are feeding your children junk food and enough of it to make them overweight, then you are spending too much on junk food. There are cheaper options that are healthier. My parents had very little money when I was growing up. Instead of holidays I would get taken to the park or to other free places. All my food was cooked from the ingredients, not bought in a cardboard box and microwaved, mostly because that was how my parents did things, but also because it is cheaper that way!

There is far too much pressure on people to cater for those who might feel insulted in society today, and we end up catering for no one. Our sense of entitlement is at an all time high, whilst at the same time our sense of responsibility for ourselves is at an all time low. Johnny isn't eating right and is fat - it's McDonalds fault for making their food so tasty and advertising it on tv. Sophie isn't doing well at school - it's her teacher's fault for not raising my child for me. Tommy becomes a criminal - it's society's fault, he had no choice.

No one wants to take responsibility for themselves and for those who are in their care, and this makes me sad for our future.

I agree with the last line of this SO MUCH. I don't think this exhibit sounds like a terrible thing. It seems to be unpopular because it makes people realize how unhealthy their lifestyles are. If it solely emphasized being skinny as the ideal, and not being active/eating well, then I'd take issue with it being displayed. But in this day and age where people seem more content buying fast food for themselves/family for dinner every night vs preparing it, any signs telling them that this behavior is bad are vilified. Before I made the decision to make my life healthier, I was guilty of doing this myself.

While there are many factors contributing to why fast food may be the easier/ more accessible option in some neighborhoods, it is not impossible for someone/a family to sustain themselves on a healthier diet paying the same (if not less than) what they spend eating out.

Hell frozen, steam in the bag vegetables are one of the easiest things to prepare for people with little free time (myself). Just put it in the microwave! While fresh is obviously the best choice, frozen is imo next up - many nutrients are preserved by freezing it, plus you have a much longer shelf life to work with.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    People that are obese due to health problems are one thing. I was morbidly obese for years. As a kid I was obese, because of the culture i was raised in. We had fresh fruits and vegetables we turned into jellies and fried the vegetables. I remember the casseroles loaded with veg and cheese and those french fried onions. I also ate way to much and most of my family was overweight. Children today are overweight because of convenience foods. I go to the grocery store and see a family with little kids in line loaded down with boxes and boxes of frozen foods. It isn't going to get any better.
  • rachelsholiday
    rachelsholiday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So, let's NOT teach our children that they are failures if they gain a little weight. Let's NOT teach our children that it's OK to make fun of overweight people because they "did it to themselves". And kudos to not having this disgusting exhibit shown to kids in what's supposed to be a happy place!

Thank you! The amount of privilege in this post is horrifying. Great, you teach your kids healthy habits. That means YOU'VE been taught healthy habits to pass on. (and why you don't need to lose weight yourself....) People talk about their kids doing organized activities their kids do. That cost a lot of money. That people who are living below the poverty line don't have. Or that there are food deserts where fresh food can't be brought within a 5 mile radius. Or that going out and exercising might not be even safe.

If you want to help people stop shaming them. It doesn't work. Start offering solutions like how to get healthier foods to people at a cheaper cost or having classes in schools to teach this stuff.

Agreed! That has been my entire thought process through reading these posts. And quite frankly, so many of the comments I've read have equated thin with being healthy and fat with being unhealthy. That is not always the case. It's not as simple as people are making it out to be.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Agreed! That has been my entire thought process through reading these posts. And quite frankly, so many of the comments I've read have equated thin with being healthy and fat with being unhealthy. That is not always the case. It's not as simple as people are making it out to be.

I don't think they do equate to that, I think they equate to eating wrongly and being overweight as being unhealthy, and being a healthy size as being healthy.

- it's not fat vs skinny. It's fat vs healthy.

Whilst we all know that there are thin people who are unhealthy, and fat people who are healthy, I think it's a pretty fair guideline that for 90% of cases, the more overweight you are the unhealthier you are.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I see so many people rationalizing that I just have to put this bluntly.

An obese person is NOT healthy. Period. Being obese automatically makes you unhealthy.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I read some of this yesterday, so I haven't read every response. I just had a thought... If the parents are so poor, what the heck are they doing at Disney!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!! You could buy a year's worth of frozen veggies, grass fed beef and chicken for the price of a family trip to Disney. It is all about what is important. We could live in a bigger house, but what we feed our kids is very important to us. So, we stay in our tiny house and don't go out to eat or have lots of extras.... or take Disney trips.:D I would actually like to in another year or two if we can save up.:)
This discussion has been closed.