Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    BTW - spaghetti squash with homemade marinara totally rules in my book! Ill even do up some zucchini threads to mix in for color and flavor as well!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    2 excellent posts!
  • rdpollard
    rdpollard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We love EverydayPaleo.com, which offers a wide range of good recipies that are easy to prepare and don't require crazy ingredients. As much as I appreciate the 30-day Paleo challenge in the back of The Paleo Solution (which I highly recommend), they're not super kid-friendly. EverydayPaleo.com has lots of kid foods, which have really made the transition easy for our family.

34lbs and dropping.

Cheers,
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's a heavily science based diet utilizing the properties of evolution and the human body.
    I love it. Marks Daily Apple is great, as well as Paleo Spirit blog.

Add me if you'd like. Paleo is so tough for the first couple weeks, after that-- well, you won't ever want to go back once you see how great you feel. Especially emotionally.
    Show me the science.
  • rdpollard
    Options

Show me the science.

It's not hard to find. Google is your friend, or one of the biggest proponents of this diet has a good amount of published research available here: http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research/
  • djicon
    djicon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet for the last couple weeks and so far, I really like it. It wasn't too much of a stretch for me since I was already gluten-free and ate a lot of lean meats and veggies. My only issue with the Paleo diet is that it was hard to eat enough calories to meet my daily calorie goal. I've somewhat solved this by drinking protein shakes, eating more nuts and avocados. Anyone have any tips on how to eat enough calories?
  • rdpollard
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet for the last couple weeks and so far, I really like it. It wasn't too much of a stretch for me since I was already gluten-free and ate a lot of lean meats and veggies. My only issue with the Paleo diet is that it was hard to eat enough calories to meet my daily calorie goal. I've somewhat solved this by drinking protein shakes, eating more nuts and avocados. Anyone have any tips on how to eat enough calories?

I also eat a lot of avocado and nuts and I still don't hit my calorie goal (though usually right under it). Are you strictly no dairy? I find that Greek yogurt helps.
  • mmapags
    Options
    It's a heavily science based diet utilizing the properties of evolution and the human body.

Add me if you'd like. Paleo is so tough for the first couple weeks, after that-- well, you won't ever want to go back once you see how great you feel. Especially emotionally.
    Show me the science.

With all due respect, who is required to show you anything. It's readiy available. Find it. No free lunch. Find it or don't. Do it or don't.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    THISGONBGUD.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAQHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I thought the same thing.
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You may find this video interesting, well worth the few mins it takes

youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

You have to find the "diet" that works for you. I don't think you can go wrong eating meat, veggies and fruit though.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Didn't the father of the Paleo diet say something to the effect of, "Our ancestors had to eat this way to stay in shape so that they could run away from the Dinosaurs that were always chasing them?" I'm sure I'm only paraphrasing... but - I can't take this stuff seriously after that.... LOL!

But seriously, ANY DIET that forbids you to eat something, is just a diet and not a maintainable lifestyle. If you can do something like this for a month or so and have it help you cut out processed crap - thats great, but really - are you going to never eat a potato for the rest of your life?

I prefer to lose weight the old fashioned way, moderation.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Show me the science.

With all due respect, who is required to show you anything. It's readiy available. Find it. No free lunch. Find it or don't. Do it or don't.
    You done?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Eating that way might be fine at home, but what about when you eat out and they don't have a Paleo menu? Or go to a party? Or go on vacation? Any situation where other people are in charge of the food is going to be a tough challenge.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Show me the science.

It's not hard to find. Google is your friend, or one of the biggest proponents of this diet has a good amount of published research available here: http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research/
    Thank you.

The other Paleo people wouldn't provide anything to back up their claims.

Thanks again.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Eating that way might be fine at home, but what about when you eat out and they don't have a Paleo menu? Or go to a party? Or go on vacation? Any situation where other people are in charge of the food is going to be a tough challenge.
    Cavemen didn't do such things. You're SOL.

They were too busy being chased by sabretooth tigers.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Cavemen didn't do such things. You're SOL.

They were too busy being chased by sabretooth tigers.

This made me literally LOL. :laugh:

T-rex had such short arms, I just can't see how they were able to gobble up those cavemen... You ever try eating food thats NOT running away from you without hands?
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest it! My cousin had two babies one after another, and she gained so much weight from it. She started the Paleo diet and lots ALL her baby fat plus some fat she had from before. She always told me how much she loved it too, and the food looked absolutely delicious!
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Honestly, most places have meat and veggies. And can advise on which dishes are best for those with a gluten intolerance, for that matter. No need to over-complicate.
  • mmapags
    Options

Show me the science.

You done?

Nope. There's been plenty of links posted in this thread. find 'em. Do the work. A google search isn't that much of a strain either. Nobody needs to prove anything to you.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Didn't the father of the Paleo diet say something to the effect of, "Our ancestors had to eat this way to stay in shape so that they could run away from the Dinosaurs that were always chasing them?" I'm sure I'm only paraphrasing... but - I can't take this stuff seriously after that.... LOL!

But seriously, ANY DIET that forbids you to eat something, is just a diet and not a maintainable lifestyle. If you can do something like this for a month or so and have it help you cut out processed crap - thats great, but really - are you going to never eat a potato for the rest of your life?

I prefer to lose weight the old fashioned way, moderation.

Hey, good for you! But I don't see anyone coming here minimizing or condescending to your decision. Follow your own path with integrity but why do you feel it's your place to ridicule someone elses?