"Bulky" vs "Muscular". The real definition.

Options

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    As long as I am not bulky..........I would be happy. I will take either muscular build.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this article that I read a while back:

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

Check out part 2 also.

It comes down to peoples perception really, it's like asking to define heavy or light. I read a post yesterday, where someone commented about "scary guys benching 150lbs", obviously to them 150lbs was heavy, yet I personally wouldn't consider it to be heavy. It's not that either one of us is wrong , it's just that we both have different perspectives.

At the end of the day It's all semantics, all that actually matters is that you are healthy and happy with how you look, the label that anyone wants to pin on that look is pretty irrelevant really.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

At the end of the day It's all semantics, all that actually matters is that you are healthy and happy with how you look, the label that anyone wants to pin on that look is pretty irrelevant really.
    While true about semantics, it can confuse people here who may be actually looking for relevant advice though. What if someone actually knew what "bulky" meant then listened to someone who stated that lifting weights caused it? What if they wanted to be more "muscular" but all they hear from those not understanding the difference that only "bulkiness" will occur? Maybe in everyday life it may not be as relevant, but on a fitness site I believe it does. Correct information is good to have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Love this post, thank you :)
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just come to MFP for the information. I never look at the pictures. LOL
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, and I was glad to see it! I think Jenna is my new motiation too...she looks very fit at healthy without lookig either too muscular or emaciated.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    When men "bulk up" they are adding muscle and fat on a calorie surplus. When women think they "bulk up" from lifting weights, they are usually on calorie deficit.
    This is why I think it's important to define the right terminology when using the word "bulky" or even "toned/toning". People latch onto the wrong ideas of what they really mean.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b

Psst: Women can "bulk up" by adding muscle and fat while eating at a calorie surplus too (I did this all winter), but not on accident while dieting.
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow I never knew Jessica Biel was so muscular.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When men "bulk up" they are adding muscle and fat on a calorie surplus. When women think they "bulk up" from lifting weights, they are usually on calorie deficit.
    This is why I think it's important to define the right terminology when using the word "bulky" or even "toned/toning". People latch onto the wrong ideas of what they really mean.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b

Psst: Women can "bulk up" by adding muscle and fat while eating at a calorie surplus too (I did this all winter), but not on accident while dieting.
    Oh I know Rachel.........I'm saying that many women here who are unfamiliar with how bulking up works thinks it happens on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wow I never knew Jessica Biel was so muscular.
    But it's a "sexy" muscular that many women here may want to attain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Jenna Renee is my newest fitness motivator. She lifts heavy weights and is muscular!!!

jennajamie.jpg

This is my new goal.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yay! - Great post, thanks!
  • revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    muscular girls are sexy as are bulky ones :happy:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Jessica Biel is WAY too bulky!!!

I mean she has TWO tops on and everything. Far too much for my liking. =)

Nice post man

Agree. No big fan of Jessica Biel - but otherwise yes girls should strength train cos they are v unlikely to get Bulky!

I really like her. She has great legs and a butt! I have absolutely nothing in common with her body type though.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS38VzDuLHxZi8wVsI7Z0WXhytI6xH1RFuIK-a84eMiITDRckAh

I just wanted to add that just because you have low body fat % does not mean you will look more defined or muscular as you can clearly see here. animated-smileys-puking-06.gif

That is scary.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm Bulky. I have a good amount of muscle and a good amount of Lean Body Mass but my Body Fat % is still too high. Getting from muscular but bulky to just muscular is not proving to be easy.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! So for the muscular look it is mostly weight lifting and little cardio? But for muscular with little definition, is it mostly cardio with some weights? I'm focusing mainly on running right now to reach some personal goals but after I accomplish those, I think I might switch to lifting.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! So for the muscular look it is mostly weight lifting and little cardio? But for muscular with little definition, is it mostly cardio with some weights? I'm focusing mainly on running right now to reach some personal goals but after I accomplish those, I think I might switch to lifting.

Both looks are obtained with weights and moderate cardio. What controls the body fat levels is your calorie deficit.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If I were an olympic athlete, I don't think I'd care much about being bulky either.

Cause I'm at the Olympics, biatches.

^^
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Both looks are obtained with weights and moderate cardio. What controls the body fat levels is your calorie deficit.
    This.

IDEA Fitness member