peanut butter- yay or nay ?

Options

Replies

• mamalade1
    Options
    Almond butter is much better for you! It's pretty delicious too. Tastes similar to peanut butter, but has a distinct almond flavor. It's amazing when you're cutting carbs!!!

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but WHY is almond butter better for you? They both have good fats, about the same amount of calories...I don't get it. Unless the default assumption is peanut butter like Jif or Skippy or something, in that case, I totally understand.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    skippy natural peanut butter spread with honey is AMAZING! 32 grams = 200 cals so I don't have it that often, but I love it when I do.. Especially with a banana!!

(ingredients: roasted peanuts, palm oil, peanut oil, salt, sugar, honey)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is one of the most disgusting things in the world to me :\

^^This, I can't believe so many people like is, it's awful, horrible stuff. I've never liked it, even as a kid when all my friends were having it on sandwiches :sick:
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is one of the most amazing things on this planet. YAY.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    YAY YAY YAY. love it on celery.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good, but not hydrogenated peanut butter like Jif ! Hydrogenated stuff is bad for your heart. Adams and Laura Scudder and other brands of natural are good.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    hell yeah!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good, but not hydrogenated peanut butter like Jif ! Hydrogenated stuff is bad for your heart. Adams and Laura Scudder and other brands of natural are good.

AGAIN: The NATURAL versions of Jif, Skippy and others DO NOT HAVE hydrogenated oil in them. They are peanuts, sugar, oil, salt. Period.

Not AS healthy as the "true" naturals, but not bad.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is much better for you! It's pretty delicious too. Tastes similar to peanut butter, but has a distinct almond flavor. It's amazing when you're cutting carbs!!!

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but WHY is almond butter better for you? They both have good fats, about the same amount of calories...I don't get it. Unless the default assumption is peanut butter like Jif or Skippy or something, in that case, I totally understand.

Agree with the second part. And while I like almonds. And I like almond butter, it DOES NOT taste like peanut butter. If I want peanut butter, I want PEANUT BUTTER.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try almond butter!
    Worth trying, but nothing holds a candle to peanut butter.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If you can budget it into your daily calorie allotment, why not enjoy it more often? My cals are set at 1430, and I average 2-4 tablespoons of the stuff every day.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    YAY! I love it on a juicy green apple or with celery.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    PB is the devil
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Definitely Yes!

I have one tablespoon of peanut butter on toast nearly every night.... but I take the time to measure out that tablespoon or it becomes 2... or 3.... very quickly! LOL
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! YAY x 10000000
    Almond butter! YAY x 10000000

both are very addictive :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The texture of almond butter is... Something to get used to. Kinda like glue mixed with nut shards. For this reason, I prefer peanut butter, but I'll use almond butter in shakes or other mixtures when texture isn't an issue :)
  • gadzukks
    gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Crazy Richard's PB is my fav! Only 1Tbsp a day tho.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paleo, so properly PB is a no because it is a legume. But, it has a very low glycemic index, so I do eat peanuts and PB on occasion. Mostly for dipping apples in.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use Kirkland's natural PB found at Costco. It literally only has peanuts and salt (which means they do recommend refrigerating it) and only has something like 85mg sodium per 2Tbsp. Only 2G sugar. And saturated fats only 3G out of total fat 15G. Not as bad as some regular commercial peanut butters! I love peanut butter so I changed to this one to limit the sugar issue, I would cry if I had to give it up altogether!! :cry: :sad:
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yay - i use it for as a snack. 1 tblsp + 1 oz of almonds. just once in everyday. both of my almonds and peanut butter are unsweetened and unsalted.