When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• mandacloye
    mandacloye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Next time tell her what you think. As a heavy woman all my life I would have smiled for HOURS, perhaps DAYS at your compliment. If you are in the gym with me I would not feel so "wierd" about it. Follow your gut next time. Perhaps you can be a source of inspiration to her.
  • TLL09
    TLL09 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Any time I see someone who is over weight that is running, I think good for them! I always love to see anyone doing something positive for themselves or others :)
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues for a while, I didn't want anyone to see me running or jogging. The idea of them seeing all my fat bounce and jiggle and also wondering and worrying about what they were thinking. I was terrified of looking like a fool or totally embarrassing myself if I fell. My solution, I did it at night when it was dark. If they could see me they wouldn't see much of anything if it was dark. This all changed for me about 9 months ago. I was out for a night run with my dog and my worst fear came true. My dog got excited about something and pulled me when I wasn't expecting and I ended up tripping on the curb we were going up on and fell. And of course just as a car went by. I was like CRAP!! I got up brushed myself off and continued on. I was even more embarrassed when I realized that it was a pizza delivery guy who just a few minutes later was going by again. At first I started getting self conscious about it. Then it hit me, SO WHAT! I fell, who hasn't ever fallen? I bet they got a good laugh but I couldn't see them and would probably never see them again. I was more proud that I was out there doing something for me, not letting anyone or what they thought about it get in my way. I was more proud that I was making progress when just few short months before I couldn't even walk a mile without feeling like I was going to die and now I was RUNNING.

Now when I see other overweight or obese people walking or jogging I am happy for them, proud of them and routing for them that they win what ever battle they are fighting. Whether their goal is to lose weight or just trying to get healthier.

You have the right idea, don't let others stop you from doing something for you. Don't worry about what they think or say (if they are so rude and stupid enough to say something to your face) if they have something rude or mean to say it just shows what kind of person they really are. Your working on YOU to build yourself up and THEY have to try and tear others down to try and bring themselves up, sad and pittyful if you ask me. :) Keep up the good work and when those thoughts try and invade your mind, tell them to go the F*** away and you don't care what they think, what is most important is what YOU think :)
  • MarshallCroft
    Options
    I think it's great...

... But I also wonder if the person will let those little voices in their heads (the ones that tell them that "people who are watching them are making fun of them," will convince the person not to exercise. I wonder if the person is a conquror or weak-minded. I wonder if the person will be exercising tomorrow, the next day, the rest of the week. I wonder if the person will survive from that inner voice long enough to make it past his/her "hump."

I wonder that because I too had discovered that I would convince myself to stop exercising all because of that little, subtle voice in my head continuously berating me in some way. After years of that cycle, I got pissed enough to burn through that voice until I imagined it noticed I was fueling off of it, allowing me to work out longer.

I wonder if the person I'm looking at, though great to see that person working out, is strong or pissed enough to continue exercising and eating right and not succumb to his/her inner negative voice. If s/he can visualize his/her future self fit and confident looking back at his/herself at the present moment, thanking that person for "staying the course."
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Next time tell her what you think. As a heavy woman all my life I would have smiled for HOURS, perhaps DAYS at your compliment. If you are in the gym with me I would not feel so "wierd" about it. Follow your gut next time. Perhaps you can be a source of inspiration to her.

I would, but my problem is I wouldn't know how to approach her. I mean, what am I supposed to say, "excuse me, I ran with an overweight girl in high school and I have just as much respect for you as I do for her" - I don't think that would go over well. My fear is maybe they don't see themselves as overweight and I would totally ruin things for them. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings :frown:
  • flong1975
    flong1975 Posts: 56
    Options
    I actually did say to my husband last year as we were taking a walk and past a larger woman jogging, " WOW - look at her go! If she can do it, why can't I?" And so I started running that week.... I find that running where other people are around helps me with my form. I am a sloucher so I will automatically check my posture and make sure my core is tight as people go past. I also use a running mantra which changes with my mood as confidence boosters....
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think, good for them, how inspiring to see people take their health and destiny into their own hands, make a change, and improve their lives. Anyone can sit on the couch eating Cheetos all day but it takes real guts to put yourself out there and change your life, especially when knowing you might be at the receiving end of some giggles/rudeness from judgmental types. That kind of determination is admirable - so pat yourself on the back for getting out there, good for you!!

Love this. Love it.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I always feel happy when I see heavy people running, because I know they are making positive changes in their lives. Granted, there is a slight twinge of guilt because I have not yet developed the courage to get back into running, but I would never think badly of those who have.

And a word about those "creepy" folks who sit in their cars at the park; I used to be one. My job was such a toxic environment that during my lunch hours, I would drive to the park and sit in my car and read, eat my lunch, and/or just listen to the birds just to decompress for a while before I had to go back to the grind. Sho while they might look creepy, I'm guessing many of them aren't actually BEING creepy.
  • mandacloye
    mandacloye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would have a lot of respect for the bigger person exercising, yesterday in the gym there was this very large lady on the bike in front of me, and she was going at it like her life depended on it, sweat pouring and noises being made! I thought massive respect to her, I wanted to say great job, but dont that would be strange coming from a stranger. if everyone but effort in like that hey....
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love to see them...cuz 1..I was one of them and 2. I am so glad they are getting better....
  • Nicedevil72
    Options
    Just rock it. Running is one of the most challenging ways to get fit, period - and there's so many ways to be doing less. I send these folks a big psychic "booyah and godspeed"!
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think AWESOME!!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "You go, girl!" ... that's what I always think. Or guy for that matter. In fact, the kids sometimes say it with me in the car. We don't yell out the window or anything. That would just be weird. ;-)
  • clean115
    clean115 Posts: 59
    Options
    I think... they won't be overweight for long!

And then I think... why am I not running too??
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always think the same thing.

One more person just joined the winning team. Welcome aboard. Shine on, beautiful human. Get your pride and take it home with you. We're glad to have you with us.

Beautiful statement.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I think, "Oh, another runner. We are of the same tribe." Then I make eye contact and give "the nod".

:laugh: I've gotten "the nod" a few times as well and I feel such a cheat, they must think I'm a real runner and I'm only just halfway couch to 5k

I love "the nod!" :laugh:
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It motivates me to keep going, plus a reminder of where I was when I first started. When I did my first 5K Mud Run, there was a double leg amputee runner on the course. I said if he can finish so can I, regardless of my time it was motivation to keep going forward. We all have it in us!
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I love it. I think like most of the others on here, that they are doing something great by taking that first step back to health and I will do everything in my power to support that. Then I get jealous...I have NEVER been able to run and would love to. I have never been able to figure out how to breathe...lol!

I had someone say something to me once that was really ugly...and usually that type of thing never bothers me. Usually. But for some reason, their statement just cut me to the core. My husband said something that I will NEVER forget, and to this day it is my mantra, and feel free to borrow it if you like. He said, "Honey...don't worry about it. Because here is the thing...you can always lose weight, but they are ALWAYS going to be stupid." He's my hero! :o)
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it comes with being in my mid-40's, but I don't give a hoot about what others think of me when I'm at the gym, or riding my bike. At the gym, I wear a t-shirt, runners and shorts, and do my thing. No fancy brands, no bling, just sweat.

Same goes for when I'm outside, running or biking. I'm not there to look good for others. I'm there to burn it and live a long and healthy life.

Just do it. At least you are out there, compared to the sob's in their cars, watching. Show 'em what you got!
  • tracjenk
    tracjenk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I typically don't notice as I am focused on my own workout. But no matter what someone looks like I am always saying good for them , to anyone who is working out and exercising--no matter what they look like.

Too many people in this world judge and I am sure that someone is saying something about me as I workout but hey I am out there doing something and that's how I look at it.