When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• rainbowbuggy
    Options
    I think, good for them, how inspiring to see people take their health and destiny into their own hands, make a change, and improve their lives. Anyone can sit on the couch eating Cheetos all day but it takes real guts to put yourself out there and change your life, especially when knowing you might be at the receiving end of some giggles/rudeness from judgmental types. That kind of determination is admirable - so pat yourself on the back for getting out there, good for you!!

This!!!!! Awesome stuff!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If I think anything at all it's 'you go girl!' We all start somewhere - there are lots of skinny-fat people sitting on their butts doing nothing. In my neighborhood we have people of all shapes & sizes running, walking and riding bikes.

If you go to a marathon or race you will see people of all sizes.

That being said.. what are those people doing in their cars... maybe you should carry pepper spray!
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.... Jiggle that fat off cause that's what I do :) I know my fat may not be what people want to look at but I know the more I more the faster it's gonna come off so I don't personally care what people think.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    These are some of those most encouraging and positive comments I've read here. Bravo!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I usually think the following -

1. Good for them
    2. I've been there. When I started couch to 5k it was painful and difficult
    3. I would like to say something encouraging to them but that would probably be weird and/or distracting coming from a stranger
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm a serious runner (I run on average 70 miles a week at about 6:30/M) and always try and acknowledge every person I see running with a nod or a wave. Especially those who are clearly having to put in a big effort to get moving (bigger and/or older folk). It always pleases me to see people trying and doing!

I do that too! I also try and overtake runners ahead of me because it makes it more fun. Feel free to turn it into a race if you see me!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    genuinely think good for them.

There are so many unhealthy people who do nothing and yet moan about it. Seeing someone out tackling it head on instantly gains my respect.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It might seem weird...but I get legitimately happy when I see overweight people running, jogging, walking, or taking the stairs. ESPECIALLY when they're with their kids. It just warms my heart to see someone actively participating in their journey to health :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I think it's great. I try to give a thumbs up to encourage them and hope I don't come off too creepy.

I'm finally at a 'normal' weight, BMI-wise but still feel like the fat chick running and certainly don't look like a svelte athlete. But if I don't get out and move I'll never get to that stage. So I get out there-walking, running, whatever it takes. If someone laughs or points I tell myself: Just wait six months, then we'll see who's laughing!
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I find it inspiring and wish I could do it. I don't even know how to start without hurting myself!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I started running, at first, I felt awkward. The only other people I see running at the park are thin people. They're fast too! LOL I'm the only overweight person that I've ever seen there trying to get some exercise. Most of the large people that stop by A). aren't there for long B). spend their time with their butts glued to a bench C). are carrying a sack of fast food. That makes me sad, but it's their business. Hopefully, my big booty and belly roll and flabby thighs jiggling as I huff and puff another lap will help inspire them to do something new. It probably won't, but I exercise for me and the people that don't like it will have to chase me down to tell me so!
  • phillips9366
    phillips9366 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think, man, that person's got a weight problem and good for them, they're trying to address it. But, being a physics minded guy with a few achey joints in my body, I also think about how unfortunate it is that they are subjecting thier joints to such extreme impact force - when they could instead be doing a bunch of other low impact cardio stuff to burn the calories.

Pick up a 30 or 50lb dumbell and imagine banging that on your knees, hips, ankles, spine, etc. The joints are just not designed for that.:noway: Running's tough on the bod when you're overweight. I've run while both light and heavy and I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the negatives when you are running heavy.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to see an overweight person exercising, I go to the treadmill without the mirror. :happy:
    I used to be concerned with what others would think, but learned that haters will find something to hate no matter what you look like, what you do or what you wear so they can all go to hell in a hand basket. I'm doing this for me & my health and i feel better having done the workout than I would have if I had not.
    The haters are only masking their own insecurities.

Get out there and show them who's the boss of your life!
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm always inspired. There's a guy in my gym who I call Little Big Guy because when i joined he was probably about 250lbs. He must be 140 now. I often think of telling him that he's been a motivtor for me some days because he works SO hard, but as others have said I wouldn't want to make him feel uncomfortable.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I tend to cheer internally for people I see running! especially women, and most especially if she looks like a woman trying to lose weight. I love sitting by the window in my living room and watching the runners go by. My boyfriend laughs because I'll say things like, "yeah, you go girl!" or "keep it up girly, kick butt!" I'd honestly stand outside and cheer for them if it wouldn't make me look like a freak. I'd probably cheer at other runners I pass as I'm out running too.

So, when I see people running, the more encouragement they look like they need, the more I cheer quietly, sending good thoughts their way. Not to mention, seeing them run motivates me to get my buns out there and run too!

keep it up, girl. don't worry about what anybody is thinking. don't let others drain the energy you could be putting towards your workout! :flowerforyou:
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I am about to start week 2 of Couch to 5k and I like to do my walk/jogs in a secluded area with not too many people looking at me. I mean, I know its something that I am going to get over with progress, but now I prefer not too many extra eyes. The park that I go to has a lot of people who park their cars without getting out. Awkward.

Anyway, these people dont keep me from doing my workout, never said anything. And I am down with the idea of ignoring them and working out just for myself, but to be real, this is what is on my mind, soooooooo I'm curious what YOU think (if anything) when you see somone overweight working out/running, and how you feel if you are the one working out/running???

Off to my run, but shall return!!

Absolute and complete admiration!!!! That person has the strength, conviction and determination to change their life and is doing way more than most people will do in their lifetime.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Love it! Glad to see them out there, getting their fitness on! But those creepers lurking in their cars? Is that some kind of pervert thing? *shiver*
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I mentally applaud ANYONE who I see running! As someone who one year ago couldn't run 30 seconds straight without getting winded and who now can run 7.5 miles in one go, I feel a certain camaraderie with all the world's runners. Especially if that person is overweight. I think, "good for them!! they are so awesome and strong!"

Also, I am a C25K graduate- what a wonderful program!!! You can do this :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Here in Austin, we apparently have a really active city so when I'm driving to work, I see loads of people running up and down the street I live on. It saddens me to think that I'm part of the obese category, but it's not like I'm not doing anything about it, right? I ran this morning!

I'm self conscious when I feel people staring at me when I run, maybe they see me jiggling?! D: But I love seeing people keeping themselves healthy and happy, no matter that their size is. <3
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, w hen I was about 40 lbs overweight, running in public often brought some nasty comments my way. There is always going to be that douce rag out there that needs to feel superior by trashing others. You have to grow some thick skin and move through it.

I haven't heard a derrogatory thing about me running since last September when I finally pushed to about 10 lbs overweight.

When I see other big people running, I'm glad that they are out doing something about it instead of sitting at home or on the internet whining about being fat and *not* doing anything about it (those type of people drive me crazy)